Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario passes anti-ICEing law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious who will be responsible for enforcement - local police, bylaw enforcement?

The same folks who ticket us on a regular street. Another ticket entry type and more revenue as more EV charging infrastructure is built.

Incentive for poor urban cities to invest in chargers. ~50x tickets = charger has paid for it's install. Another ~50x tickets = 5,000 cold hard voluntary tax revenue.

Does this apply to parking mall EV spots as well since its private property? Vaughn Mills mall EV spots regularly get ICE'd and I hope this will help reduce it.
The complete text is available at https://www.ola.org/sites/default/files/node-files/bill/document/pdf/2019/2019-12/b123rep_e.pdf

It states (in part):
“electric vehicle charging station” means a publicly or privately-owned parking space that provides access to equipment that supplies a source of electricity for charging electric vehicles.

So it appears that the answer to your question is, yes it applies to parking mall EV spots on private property.

A hefty fine for convenience. But then again, I see cars parked in Handicap spots all the time in certain parts of Markham. People just don't give a frunk about others. If the city enforces this, they'll be swimming in extra revenue.

I haven't seen an ICE car blocking a spot at our local grocery store but I have seen electric cars parked there without plugging in.

The MPP who introduced the bill said the same thing: “It is extraordinarily frustrating,” said Calandra, adding in his experience it’s mostly electric vehicle owners “who are using it as an opportunity to park near the door, be it the mall or where ever these stations are.”

It's surprising and disappointing but it seems that some electric car drivers believe they are entitled to these spots by virtue of the fact that they own an electric car, whether or not they are there to charge.

So lets not be too quick to blame the ICE car drivers, when it is frequently EV drivers who block the stations. Just saying....

Or maybe it's the signs that are the problem. In the linked photo you will notice that the signs say "electric vehicle parking only." They should probably say "Electric vehicle charging only"

Fine drivers for blocking e-car charge stations, Markham-Stouffville MPP Paul Calandra proposes | The Star

Last edited:
Reactions: mrElbe and martind3
I haven't seen an ICE car blocking a spot at our local grocery store but I have seen electric cars parked there without plugging in.

The MPP who introduced the bill said the same thing: “It is extraordinarily frustrating,” said Calandra, adding in his experience it’s mostly electric vehicle owners “who are using it as an opportunity to park near the door, be it the mall or where ever these stations are.”

It's surprising and disappointing but it seems that some electric car drivers believe they are entitled to these spots by virtue of the fact that they own an electric car, whether or not they are there to charge.

So lets not be too quick to blame the ICE car drivers, when it is frequently EV drivers who block the stations. Just saying....

Or maybe it's the signs that are the problem. In the linked photo you will notice that the signs say "electric vehicle parking only." They should probably say "Electric vehicle charging only"

Fine drivers for blocking e-car charge stations, Markham-Stouffville MPP Paul Calandra proposes | The Star

I've noticed this a lot as well -- many EV's simply park there without charging. Super annoying.

The fine should be something more like $500 for spots ICEd and $2000 for EVs who park without charging. More severe because you should know better.

I cannot understand why EV owners do that.

49233146198_6dc819ed67_b.jpg

Last edited:
I cannot understand why EV owners do that.

49233146198_6dc819ed67_b.jpg

Same reason people ICE the spots. Convenience :rolleyes: - EV chargers are usually closest to the entrance to buildings like the handicap spots where they can be monitored easily. This above person probably didn't want to pay for charging but wanted the parking spot close to the theatre/mall/plaza/name your favorite strip mall place.

I hope this new law includes EVs blocking chargers while not plugged in (however, what if some jerk unplugs someone who's plugged in so they get a ticket? :eek:)