Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify Canada and charging rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How frustrating that the price of gas was reduced in Ontario this week, while there are still no provincial rebates to buy EVs.

Does anyone have experience using Electrify Canada chargers on the road? They seem to have Level 3 chargers, and if I read correctly the rate is $0.57 per minute (or discounted to $0.44 per minute with monthly $4 fee). I am trying to compare this to Tesla Superchargers which appear to charge approximately $1.10 per minute in Ontario according to a DriveTeslaCanada article just read: Tesla adjusts Supercharger fees in Canada in response to criticism after massive increases

Thanks!

How frustrating that the price of gas was reduced in Ontario this week, while there are still no provincial rebates to buy EVs.

Does anyone have experience using Electrify Canada chargers on the road? They seem to have Level 3 chargers, and if I read correctly the rate is $0.57 per minute (or discounted to $0.44 per minute with monthly $4 fee). I am trying to compare this to Tesla Superchargers which appear to charge approximately $1.10 per minute in Ontario according to a DriveTeslaCanada article just read: Tesla adjusts Supercharger fees in Canada in response to criticism after massive increases

Thanks!
with the different tier pricing at superchargers my average charge lately works out to 0.62 per minute, just an example from last trip coming from Montreal to Mississauga when charging at Kingston. Not sure how fast of a charge you would get at electrify Canada, but I'm guessing with a Chademo adapter it would probably cost more, if you happen to have a CCS adapter it might cost less

10 min @ 0.33
21 min @0.63
7 min @1.05

I wish these articles and responses would use kilowatt hours rather than minutes of charge. "Ten minutes of charge" means very little., especially when talking superchargers, which will top up my car in about ten minutes, although I won't tell you how big my battery is or how full the battery is when I start to top up.

I wish these articles and responses would use kilowatt hours rather than minutes of charge. "Ten minutes of charge" means very little., especially when talking superchargers, which will top up my car in about ten minutes, although I won't tell you how big my battery is or how full the battery is when I start to top up.
Rob the reason for that is that this thread is in the Canadian forum and unfortunately in that country EV charging is based on time and not kWh delivered. Yes, it’s weird, and there are signs that it could change in the future but for now that’s the way it is. So when charging in Canada the EV owner can only estimate the kWh delivered to their battery by looking at how much range they have gained.

Rob the reason for that is that this thread is in the Canadian forum and unfortunately in that country EV charging is based on time and not kWh delivered. Yes, it’s weird, and there are signs that it could change in the future but for now that’s the way it is. So when charging in Canada the EV owner can only estimate the kWh delivered to their battery by looking at how much range they have gained.
My understanding is that only utility companies (BC Hydro in BC) can officially 'sell power' to end users. That is why when we pay for charging we pay for the time we used it for, not for actual power drawn. I believe the law needs to be changed to allow these companies to sell power directly. And that will take time.
While now the actual power drawn may vary depending on car/charger situation, we do not know if paying per kW will be cheaper or not in the long run. For the business, I can see such systemic change as a reason to make extra cash ;)

Here is a post I made in another thread (about SC rate increases) that provides more information about EV charging by time in Canada.

From the Measurement Canada web page about EV charging rates, quote: In the next 18 months, we expect to allow existing and new electric vehicle (EV) charging stations that meet established technical standards to charge based on kilowatt-hours (kWh) consumed. We will do this by continuing to work closely with industry and monitoring requirements other countries are developing, as well as advances and innovations in EV charging station technologies. The requirements will be performance-based to minimize costs and regulatory burden for EV charging station operators, while ensuring consumers receive accurate and reliable measurement, and protection against unfair practices.
We will also work with EV charging station operators to evaluate EV charging stations at their installation site under typical conditions of use. If these stations meet the technical standards, they will be approved to charge for electricity based on kWh.

with the different tier pricing at superchargers my average charge lately works out to 0.62 per minute, just an example from last trip coming from Montreal to Mississauga when charging at Kingston. Not sure how fast of a charge you would get at electrify Canada, but I'm guessing with a Chademo adapter it would probably cost more, if you happen to have a CCS adapter it might cost less

10 min @ 0.33
21 min @0.63
7 min @1.05
Thanks. You managed Montreal to Mississauga on one charge? I understand the Kingston supercharger station is usually busy, so I will try Belleville, or even Trenton if it is open.