Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Supercharger 2017 Report Card - Grade is 50% (being generous)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
Here is my tabulation of Superchargers in Ontario for 2017. The estimated year of completion was taken from the Tesla Supercharger site last Friday before Tesla bumped a whole bunch to 2018.

There were about 20 SCs announced for Ontario for 2017 - this does not include expansions at existing sites, however in at least one case (Barrie) what we thought was an expansion turned out to be a whole new site. (Please post any corrections, I probably missed a few things)

Announced: 20
Completed: 4
Under Construction: 6

So even if we give credit for the six under construction Tesla will have only done 50% of their announced sites.

Code:
Location          Status            Comments
Cambridge         Not started       
Hamilton          Construction     
Owen Sound        Construction     
St. Cath          Not started       
Meadowvale        Not started       
Mississauga       Not started       
Etobicoke         Construction     
Vaughan           Not started       
Concord           Completed         
Toronto           Not started       
North York        Not started       
Markham           Construction     
Barrie-Bayfield   Completed         
Pickering         Construction     
Renfrew           Not started       
Ottawa            Completed         
Belleville        Not started       
Casselman         Construction      Relocated Stardale site?
North Bay         Not started       Moved to 2018 in Sep
Sudbury           Completed

• Informative
Reactions: rpm001 and mrElbe
Hey. If you asked me in September how many new Superchargers would be built or started in Ontario by December I would have guessed one or two, based on previous experience. It has got to be a difficult problem to ramp up so quickly.

But basically it comes down to the fact that I am a “the glass is half full” kind of guy while you are a “it’s half empty”. It is all a matter of perspective.

We have another year or more before the onslaught of Model 3’s, so it is all gravy for we current Teslarians, for now. :p

I am not a pessimist at all - I just think that companies should live up to their commitments.

It sure appeared that Tesla did very little to move things along in the first 3/4 of the year as nothing happened in terms of construction until October. Then we saw a flurry of construction - but if they started three months earlier they could have got a bunch more completed which probably would have been cheaper as some of the new ones will (presumably) be only a few kms from some of the newly built sites, Concord and Vaughan being the prime example, but the Mississauga sites will not be too far from Etobicoke and the Toronto and North York sites won't be too far from Vaughan or Markham.

I was getting a little concerned about the lack of progress for most of the year... but the current boom in construction has alleviated that quite a lot. The coverage is getting much better.

Posted from the Kingston Supercharger! Half full when I got here... had to dodge a lot of snow removal equipment though.

Did they say 'Targeted opening date' or 'firm opening date'. Those two things are not the same.

If it's the former, they made good progress. No one should be surprised if tesla under-delivered on a timeline lol.

Frankly most of us didn't think they'd announce 5 new locations this year, let alone building 10 of 20. They announced an ambitious plan half way through the year that caught everyone (everyone but you from the sounds of it) by surprise and really got people excited about the brand.

"damn tesla...only building me 10 new free gas stations in 2017 when I expected zero at the start of the year? I am disappoint"

Being disappointed in their lack of progress on something we never knew was going to happen even a few months ago seems hilarious. First world problems of the highest order. Ratcheted expectations are tough for everyone in business. Similar to the guy who is all mad at tesla and talking to lawyers because he didn't get the free Uncorking for his facelifted 75D...that he never knew about when he bought it, was never promised and never paid for

Did any of us really believe that tweet, that we'd be able to drive cross country by the end of the year in the first place? Disappointed North Bay was put off to 2018, then again can still just stop in at Pinewood and have lunch instead.
what tweet was that? Thought 2018 was the TransCanada timeline. 2017 was super ambitious. For whatever reason tesla gets away with overpromisong and underdelivering .

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Having watched one of these new supercharging sites on a weekly basis, I am struck by the little details involved, the amount of things the contractors need to get right. Really impressed with how well Tesla is rolling out the new charging sites. Tremendous progress in a short time after the announcement of the expansion. As the current crop of sites completes, expect the same contractors to move on to the next set. As I was told, contractors were limited in the simultaneous bids they could make, likely to ensure Tesla didn't wind up with a KSI like mistake the way the Ontario government rolled out DC charging. Tesla seems to get it right far more than anyone else does!

what tweet was that? Thought 2018 was the TransCanada timeline. 2017 was super ambitious. For whatever reason tesla gets away with overpromisong and underdelivering .
Sorry took a moment to go back and find it, he'd been exchanging messages with a follower about charging in Saskatchewan.

@elonmusk 27 May 2017 "Should finish trans-Canada this year. A stop in Swift Current for sure!"

Did they say 'Targeted opening date' or 'firm opening date'. Those two things are not the same.

If it's the former, they made good progress. No one should be surprised if tesla under-delivered on a timeline lol.

Frankly most of us didn't think they'd announce 5 new locations this year, let alone building 10 of 20. They announced an ambitious plan half way through the year that caught everyone (everyone but you from the sounds of it) by surprise and really got people excited about the brand.

"damn tesla...only building me 10 new free gas stations in 2017 when I expected zero at the start of the year? I am disappoint"

Being disappointed in their lack of progress on something we never knew was going to happen even a few months ago seems hilarious. First world problems of the highest order. Ratcheted expectations are tough for everyone in business. Similar to the guy who is all mad at tesla and talking to lawyers because he didn't get the free Uncorking for his facelifted 75D...that he never knew about when he bought it, was never promised and never paid for
It is not a few months ago. They announced these on April 24 - 8 months ago. And I am giving them credit for stuff that isn't done. They actually only completed four SCs in Ontario in 2017 - I don't remember what was on the list on Jan 1, 2017 but I am guessing that it was at least four and probably a lot more.

Sure it was great that they announced a ton in April but they should be a little more muted in their promises. Many of us have bought Teslas on the expectations that they would be completing the SC network in short order. It is coming but, at least in my opinion, at too slow of a pace.

And what I am saying is that given their experience there is about a 50% chance that they finish those in 2018.
I would definitely look forward to it. Sorry I should have added that although most of what is promised is delivered, we have all learned that timelines are often stretched a bit farther out. I also don't hold my breath that they'll make it to Mars by 2020 on a BFR, but I won't cast stones when it doesn't happen till 2021 or 22.... If my earlier response implied being bitter that was not my intent.

I think of Tesla as the brilliant, charming guest that tells you he will show up at your dinner parties on time and is always an hour late, but is still a terrific guest when he does finally arrive. I am just excited and happily surprised that this time he showed up only a half an hour late this time but is still as entertaining as ever.

Tesla is a company that gave me a car that I still get a joy out of every time I use it, even after almost three years; and has the best and fastest (and only) charging network in the world which is only getting better. Do they promise too much, too fast. Absolutely. Do they continue to deliver fantastic products. Absolutely. I am still waiting for that on and off again Woodstock, New Brunswick Supercharger that was on their list in 2015. Yes.

But I really feel that Tesla knows that other well built ev’s are coming in the next few years, in numbers and in quality, and that the real differentiation that will keep them ahead for the next five years or more is the Supercharger network. The Superchargers are their competitive edge until another network is made of chargers as fast, or faster, and as extensive as theirs. But it is only an edge if it continues to be useful to Tesla drivers as the numbers of Teslas on the road rapidly goes up.

It is not a few months ago. They announced these on April 24 - 8 months ago. And I am giving them credit for stuff that isn't done. They actually only completed four SCs in Ontario in 2017 - I don't remember what was on the list on Jan 1, 2017 but I am guessing that it was at least four and probably a lot more.

Sure it was great that they announced a ton in April but they should be a little more muted in their promises. Many of us have bought Teslas on the expectations that they would be completing the SC network in short order. It is coming but, at least in my opinion, at too slow of a pace.
Yes any of us in our own business would be out of business if we missed timelines by 12-18 months. Tesla should be renamed TEFLA like Teflon because nothing sticks to them. They get away with everything.

Now one day that will end. Probably around 2019-2020 when the Germans start eating teslas lunch offering great luxury electric cars from a company that knows how to make, sell and service a car top to bottom and when their charging network rolls out.

Until then I think TEFLA continues doing things at their typical glacial pace.

I just think that companies should live up to their commitments.

Sure it was great that they announced a ton in April but they should be a little more muted in their promises.

Can you provide a link to these commitments and promises that Tesla broke? I haven't seen any. They had targeted opening dates and Elon said they should complete the trans-Canada route in 2017. They didn't promise or commit to anything.

Reactions: MarcoRP