Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Superchargers - the numbers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the discussions of how many superchargers there are in Ontario, and how many are opening soon (hopefully) in 2018, I took a closer look at the numbers. This is as of Jan 1st, 2018. Let me know if I've missed anything or made an error of any sort.

When all of this is completed, we will have 51 locations and if my assumptions are correct, 560 supercharger stalls in Ontario alone. Pretty incredible.

CURRENTLY OPEN - 14 locations, 132 SC stalls
Concord Vaughan Mills 20
Barrie - Bayfield 20
Comber (Windsor) 8
Woodstock 8
Grimsby 8
Toronto - Lawrence 8
Port Hope 8
Ottawa 8
Barrie 8
Huntsville 8
Parry Sound 8
Sudbury 8
Kingston 6
Cornwall 6

Under Construction - 5 locations, 88 SC stalls
Pickering 20
Hamilton 20
Etobicoke - Sherway 20
Markham 20
Owen Sound 8

Coming Soon - 32 locations, estimated 340 SC stalls (assumes 20 SC stalls in large/GTA/highway locations, 8 in northern and dense urban locations)
Cambridge 20
Mississauga 20
Mississauga Meadowvale 20
St Catharines 20
Toronto - Scarborough 20
Waterloo 20
Belleville 8
Blind River 8
Brockville 8
Deep River 8
Dryden 8
Espanola 8
Gatineau 8
Ignace 8
Kenora 8
Nipigon 8
North Bay 8
Orillia 8
Renfrew 8
Sault Ste Marie 8
Stardale 8
Terrace Bay 8
Thunder Bay 8
Toronto - Downtown 8
Toronto - Liberty Village 8
Toronto - North York 8
Toronto - The Annex 8
Toronto - Yonge Eglinton 8
Upsala 8
Vaughan 20
Wawa 8
White River 8

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I already have a chart for it but in a little less detail. Here, I reflect more on Quebec.
IMG_0717.jpg

In reply to the above thread, I too have been reviewing the Province on the map and anticipating (hoping) for where locations may go - coming soon in 2018/2019. The below is the list I came up with and how I think the superchargers would be:

- Pembroke, Ontario (16 stalls - 10 Regular superchargers ("SC") and 6 urban SC)
- North Bay, Ontario (12 stalls, all regular SC)
- Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario (16 Stalls - 10 regular SC and 6 urban SC)
- Algoma Mills, Ontario (10 stalls, all urban SC)
- Wawa, Ontario, (12 Stalls - all regular SC)
- Terrace Bay, Ontario (12 stalls - all regular SC)
- Marathon, Ontario (10 Stalls - All urban SC)
- Thunder Bay, Ontario (20 stalls - 12 regular SC and 8 urban SC)
- Dryden, Ontario (16 stalls - All regular SC)
- Ignace, Ontario (10 Stalls - all regular SC)
- Kenora, Ontario (16 Stalls - 10 regular SC and 6 urban SC)

The above that is for Ontario, but I was considering travel across Canada because I have family in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. So I do not want to have to go through the USA. So continuing from Kenora going West:

- Winnipeg, Manitoba (needs what I call a SC depot)
- so 20 regular SC + 10 urban SC + 5 destination chargers (optional + 5 DC fast)

- Brandon, Manitoba (20 Stalls - 12 regular SC + 8 urban SC)
- Regina, Saskatchewan (needs a SC depot)
- so 20 regular SC + 10 urban SC + 5 destination chargers (optional + 5 DC fast)

- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (20 stalls - 10 regular SC and 10 urban SC)
- Lloydminster, Saskatchewan (12 stalls - all urban SC)

- Swift-Current, Ontario (12 Stalls - All regular SC)
- Medicine Hat, Alberta (12 stalls - all regular SC)

Remember, this is just my opinion based on the trans-Canada Hwy and the coverage of the Province for now. I'm sure in 10-15 years, they may double the amount of locations.

Well, if you are from the Supercharger team and you have not solidified where in the Province to locate; these are my suggestions. Thanks for indulging my suggestions.

First of all in reply to thread by @Sisko - DS9 , I don't think that it is necessary at all to have two types of Superchargers at the same location. Secondly, you missed Nipigon, ON on the Ontario charger and 3, Swift Current in Saskatchewan, not in Ontario unless your talking about the Niagara Falls.

First of all in reply to thread by @Sisko - DS9 , I don't think that it is necessary at all to have two types of Superchargers at the same location. Secondly, you missed Nipigon, ON on the Ontario charger and 3, Swift Current in Saskatchewan, not in Ontario unless your talking about the Niagara Falls.

Typo error, it was Swift Current, Saskatchewan I was referring to you are correct. Thanks for catching that, I was typing too fast. Also I did not forget Moose Jaw. When I was considering what I thought would be superchargers for enabling direct travel from one end of the country to the other; mainly on the TransCanada highway. Moose Jaw supercharger can come in a few years if necessary. And yes I realize i have not mentioned New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or Cape Breton. I had not had a chance to analyze the Maritimes geography as yet.

I also did not forget Nipigon... my suggestions were based on my opinion on covering the TransCanada within the next 12-16 months with superchargers. My list was not based on Tesla's coming soon list of some kind. I actually have never seen that list. I developed my list in analyzing the geography of the Provinces and using some math to determine where the immediate relief chargers would need to be for cross-country travel and to make it possible in the "main" cities for owners to be able to charge. What I did not do - as yet, is to opine on the location within each place where the chargers could go.

Allow me to give you a little background. I have family in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Alberta. By the time I was 16, my family had driven our wonderful country from PEI to Victoria, BC (Ferry over is a great experience). I confess, I have never been to Newfoundland. We did road trips every year in the summer and we drove and drove. We had criss-crossed Canada 3/4 times by the time I was 16. I want to do that with my own family now, my kid is 10 and this is a good age to start the tradition with her. I loved driving across the country. It was wonderful, beautiful and educational. So I confess the locations I picked are based on my experience of having driven across the country, especially in the West.

Travelling through much of Saskatchewan is flat. You will drive for hours and the only way you know you are moving is the change in landscape colour from tan to yellow; wheat crops to mustard crops, respectively. You will get a flat energy use line on the Tesla when traveling through Saskatchewan. Terrain is flat mostly. Just watch out in driving at night... the grasshoppers and locusts come out and they will cover your front end and the lights with bug guts like crazy.

Reactions: MarcoRP

In response to the two types of Superchargers, I was thinking there is likely to be some number of locals with cars that have more time to let charge and the regular ones are so people traveling through can in essence "get in and get out" faster. This way that stop can handle both "types" of chargers - trip cars and local cars. Remember this is just my opinion on supercharger placement for the immediate time period (12-16 months). More can be set up as the numbers of cars increases. And I hope the number of cars increases ten-fold in the next few years. Go Tesla.

In response to the two types of Superchargers, I was thinking there is likely to be some number of locals with cars that have more time to let charge and the regular ones are so people traveling through can in essence "get in and get out" faster. This way that stop can handle both "types" of chargers - trip cars and local cars.
This was mentioned in another thread - if you are using an SC at a mall like Sherway or Vaughan Mills, you may not want to charge too quickly as you don't want to have to go move your car after a half hour. Especially when parking spot are at a premium like the month of December.

Good evening all, further to the discussion of Supercharger locations; I have completed my review of the Atlantic Provinces and in this addendum, I will take a look at the Maritimes and where [I think] Tesla should put Superchargers (“SC”) in 2018. I will designate what I think are the must for 2018 and the rest are just opportunity locations that I would hope would be undertaken. Remember, these are all just my opinion based on my review of the geography/terrain, economic and population statistics.

Going East of Quebec (stars** designates my picks as must for 2018):

I have suggested there are three direction streams for the Maritimes, mostly due to the shape/orientation of New Brunswick (“NB”). I will denote them as A, B & C. Stream A will/is the main stream for NB and the other two streams are much smaller, but when you look at the map you will understand the orientation. I am not saying pick one direction stream over another; I am saying you need to have direction stream A, then the other two are to follow. Just makes traversing the Province easier - and shorter time lapse.

Stream A:

1).Edmunston, NB**: 20 stalls (12 regular + 8 urban)

2).Woodstock, NB: 12 stalls (all regular SC)

3). Fredricton, NB**: 12 urban SC (along with additional destination chargers)

4). Oromocto, NB: 12 stalls, all regular SC

5). Saint John, NB**: 20 stalls (12 regular + 8 urban)

6). Moncton, NB**: 30 stalls (20 regular + 10 urban)

7). Truro, NS**: 12 stall, all regular SCs

8). Dartmouth, NS**: 20 stalls (12 regular + 8 urban)

9). Sydney, NS**: 20 stalls (12 regular + 8 urban)

Stream B

1). Saint-Quentin, NB: 8 stalls, all regular SC

2). Bathurst, NB: 12 Stall, all regular SCs

Stream C

1). Grand Falls, NB: 12 stalls, all regular SCs

2). Miramichi, NB**: 12 stalls all urban SC (destination chargers in the area are also a good idea)

3). Borden-Carleton, PEI: 12 stalls, all regular

In summation, that makes 8 stations (marked with stars) as must and the rest, to be considered/aded over the next couple of years. I think Tesla could put up 8 supercharger stations in 2018 in the Maritime/Atlantic region. Those locations are just opinion based and there may be better placement due to property owners willing to have them, etc - as you all know the hurdles that can present themselves for Tesla. I hope not, but you never know.

The above list in full, in my opinion, would sufficiently cover the Atlantic Provinces for the next 10-15 years. Also, as for Prince Edward Island (“PE”), since it is primarily a tourist venue, the island is best served by destination chargers as people would be staying in some Hotels/Motels/Bed & Breakfast locations, etc. However, that is why I thought a supercharger location would be prudent in Borden-Carleton, PE as this is right at the Confederation bridge site on the island and is a hot spot of activity. There is an area where there are shops, outlets mall, restaurants and tourist information centre, etc. For example, to go from one side of the island (West Cape, PE), to the other side (East Point, PE); is a travel distance of 230km. So if one charges full in Borden-Carleton, you can pretty much go anywhere on the island and return to the bridge location without a problem. Borden-Carleton, PE is essentially dead centre to the island.

Well, take it for what it is, my opinion.

We already have Tesla's plans for 2018 which includes 7 SCs in NB and NS. But playing along with your wishful thinking - I don't think that Sydney is a great spot as it only covers the eastern half of CBI. They should instead put one at Pt. Hawksbury or Antigonish. I go to CBI a couple of times a year but I never go to Sydney - I go to the Cabot Links resort in Inverness. And I am not the only one as that is a major tourist draw. Plus the Cabot Trail is on that half of the island. But you would not have pased an SC since Truro. Destination charging will help, but in an ideal world that would also put an SC on the western half of CBI.

We already have Tesla's plans for 2018 which includes 7 SCs in NB and NS. But playing along with your wishful thinking - I don't think that Sydney is a great spot as it only covers the eastern half of CBI. They should instead put one at Pt. Hawksbury or Antigonish. I go to CBI a couple of times a year but I never go to Sydney - I go to the Cabot Links resort in Inverness. And I am not the only one as that is a major tourist draw. Plus the Cabot Trail is on that half of the island. But you would not have pased an SC since Truro. Destination charging will help, but in an ideal world that would also put an SC on the western half of CBI.

Port Hawkesbury seems like a great spot. I agree with you that destination chargers are a great idea for the area, due to the tourism - especially with a supercharger site in Port Hawkesbury.

I was thinking about Sydney for political marketing reasons as well. Let me explain. The government has spent millions on cleaning up the tar ponds and I thought a station for EVs would be a great addition for the area to further add to their environmental commitment. Also, as per the internet search I did on the economy and population statistics, it states Sydney's economy was helped by the 2011 announcement of funding for the Sydney Harbour dredging project, which apparently was completed in 2012. The dredge, which is expected to lead to commercialization of the port, is supposed to create hundreds of jobs in the area as well as position Sydney as a world-class harbour facility. Other important investments that have helped position Sydney as an eastern hub of Nova Scotia include the creation of the Centre for Sustainability in the Environment at Cape Breton University. Apparently this draws people/students from all over the world to the university. (Sydney, Nova Scotia - Wikipedia). That is why the geographical location made sense in my mind. Besides, I think the government may be proactive in getting a site set up, as the internet information suggests.

Also, Mr.Plushare, I think @rypalmer would have a great perspective as he travels that side of the country very often.

Good evening all, further to the discussion of Supercharger locations; I have completed my review of the Atlantic Provinces and in this addendum, I will take a look at the Maritimes and where [I think] Tesla should put Superchargers (“SC”) in 2018. I will designate what I think are the must for 2018 and the rest are just opportunity locations that I would hope would be undertaken. Remember, these are all just my opinion based on my review of the geography/terrain, economic and population statistics.

Going East of Quebec (stars** designates my picks as must for 2018):

I have suggested there are three direction streams for the Maritimes, mostly due to the shape/orientation of New Brunswick (“NB”). I will denote them as A, B & C. Stream A will/is the main stream for NB and the other two streams are much smaller, but when you look at the map you will understand the orientation. I am not saying pick one direction stream over another; I am saying you need to have direction stream A, then the other two are to follow. Just makes traversing the Province easier - and shorter time lapse.

Stream A:

1).Edmunston, NB**: 20 stalls (12 regular + 8 urban)

2).Woodstock, NB: 12 stalls (all regular SC)

3). Fredricton, NB**: 12 urban SC (along with additional destination chargers)

4). Oromocto, NB: 12 stalls, all regular SC

5). Saint John, NB**: 20 stalls (12 regular + 8 urban)

6). Moncton, NB**: 30 stalls (20 regular + 10 urban)

7). Truro, NS**: 12 stall, all regular SCs

8). Dartmouth, NS**: 20 stalls (12 regular + 8 urban)

9). Sydney, NS**: 20 stalls (12 regular + 8 urban)

Stream B

1). Saint-Quentin, NB: 8 stalls, all regular SC

2). Bathurst, NB: 12 Stall, all regular SCs

Stream C

1). Grand Falls, NB: 12 stalls, all regular SCs

2). Miramichi, NB**: 12 stalls all urban SC (destination chargers in the area are also a good idea)

3). Borden-Carleton, PEI: 12 stalls, all regular

In summation, that makes 8 stations (marked with stars) as must and the rest, to be considered/aded over the next couple of years. I think Tesla could put up 8 supercharger stations in 2018 in the Maritime/Atlantic region. Those locations are just opinion based and there may be better placement due to property owners willing to have them, etc - as you all know the hurdles that can present themselves for Tesla. I hope not, but you never know.

The above list in full, in my opinion, would sufficiently cover the Atlantic Provinces for the next 10-15 years. Also, as for Prince Edward Island (“PE”), since it is primarily a tourist venue, the island is best served by destination chargers as people would be staying in some Hotels/Motels/Bed & Breakfast locations, etc. However, that is why I thought a supercharger location would be prudent in Borden-Carleton, PE as this is right at the Confederation bridge site on the island and is a hot spot of activity. There is an area where there are shops, outlets mall, restaurants and tourist information centre, etc. For example, to go from one side of the island (West Cape, PE), to the other side (East Point, PE); is a travel distance of 230km. So if one charges full in Borden-Carleton, you can pretty much go anywhere on the island and return to the bridge location without a problem. Borden-Carleton, PE is essentially dead centre to the island.

Well, take it for what it is, my opinion.
Is there any evidence that Tesla has any intention of mixing urban and regular supercharging stalls? Does it even make sense from an electrical standpoint?