Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario to invest $20 million in stations to charge up electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I say visionary leader. Respect to Norway!

I have kind of mixed feelings. The majority of Norway's wealth comes from it's oil industry even though internally they do a lot of great stuff in the area of sustainability. I've heard it compared to a drug dealer who is smart enough to not use his own product. But that oil does come out of the ground and get burned somewhere, and in a global CO2 context, it really doesn't matter where it's burned.

I have kind of mixed feelings. The majority of Norway's wealth comes from it's oil industry even though internally they do a lot of great stuff in the area of sustainability. I've heard it compared to a drug dealer who is smart enough to not use his own product. But that oil does come out of the ground and get burned somewhere, and in a global CO2 context, it really doesn't matter where it's burned.

How about a drug dealer showing the world how to kick their drug addiction. I can't imagine a more responsible use of dirty oil money. They are effectively financing a reduction of future FF demand. Good luck convincing BigOil/OPEC/Alberta to do the same.

As I posted in another thread here, we need a big electric load to take up surplus Nuclear power in Ontario.

Given that the refurbishment program will take reactors offline in groups (not all at once), it would be advantageous for Ontario to have a lot of EV's on the road and charging at midnight when the refurbishment program is done in the early 2020's to take up all that power available overnight when everyone is sleeping.

Nuclear power - Page 78

As I posted in another thread here, we need a big electric load to take up surplus Nuclear power in Ontario.

Given that the refurbishment program will take reactors offline in groups (not all at once), it would be advantageous for Ontario to have a lot of EV's on the road and charging at midnight when the refurbishment program is done in the early 2020's to take up all that power available overnight when everyone is sleeping.

Nuclear power - Page 78

This is one reason we should have a super-off-peak rate for night-time electricity. It helps the electricity system and it provides an incentive for EV ownership without the need to qualify people based on EV ownership. Anyone who can shift electricity use to the night would benefit, but EV owners would be in the best position to benefit. The rate could be substantially lower than the off-peak rate, say from 1am to 5am, or they could even make it free like they did in Texas:

And as I always say in this type of thread - I think it is stupid that EV owners are incented to charge during the day with free charging stations at work locations. This only adds to peak demand. Why charge at home overnight on your own nickel (actually more like about $0.16/kWh for off peak in Toronto) when you can charge for free at your workplace during the day?

Maybe the 407 wants to go more green so they can....... Okay probably not lol but maybe Ktown can sell them.
Why is the 407 different than any other business? Every private parking lot should let EVs park for free. Loblaws should let EV owners get free groceries. The LCBO should give EV owners free booze - that one might be easier to do since it is publicly owned.

Oh, ok...but the top shelf stuff, not the crap...no Night Train, Mad Dog 20/20, or Wild Irish Rose, or anything like that...:wink:

Why is the 407 different than any other business? Every private parking lot should let EVs park for free. Loblaws should let EV owners get free groceries. The LCBO should give EV owners free booze - that one might be easier to do since it is publicly owned.

Last edited:
And subsidized the move. It would be a case of the 407ETR sending the government the bill for EV drivers. Doubt that will happen.

This is actually happening for the private A25 toll bridge between Montreal and Laval. Unfortunately, Quebec has short-sightedly granted EV benefits only to residents instead of trying to work with other jurisdictions to a common goal. For the A25, at one point they weren't set up to bill anyone with an out-of-state plates, though. I don't know if that has changed.

Unfortunately, Quebec has short-sightedly granted EV benefits only to residents instead of trying to work with other jurisdictions to a common goal.

Same in Ontario. Only Ontario Green Plates get the benefit of HOV lane access here. To be fair, the governments are trying to get their own citizens to adopt EVs, not necessarily make it easier for out-of-province owners.

If 407 allowed EV's to go toll free like Norway, I'm sure GTA would have significantly higher EV sales. :)
I'm sure this would be effective-and would love to see it tested, however there is still the issue of: New York Times: A Car Dealers Won’t Sell: It’s Electric.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the 407 wants to go more green so they can....... Okay probably not lol but maybe Ktown can sell them.
Ktown will engage our politicians, hoping everyone here will do the same. Not sure if 407 is feasible or not. If I worked for gov, I would be talking to Norway-do they have private roads? What's the best practice?