Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Ultra Low Overnight rates are now live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been live on the ULOW rates for a few days. Here is a chart of my usage from last Friday, when I charged my car:
1684338580922.png

What is your typical daily cost, and how does it compare to before?
See my reply a bit earlier in this thread - my cost would be about $4/day cheaper on one week at the end of April and beginning of May.

I am pulling more data to do the analysis of my costs under both pricing schemes. You can't always compare before and after without adjusting for usage - for example, my pool started running on May 2 so that adds about 1kW when it is running. But I will now have more of an incentive to not operate the pool during the peak period. I don't have a timer on my pool right now, but when I get home at 5 I am shutting it off and turning it on after 11.

Reactions: richyrich
Man net metering with solar gets complicated. I just had my first month where I generated and backfed back to the grid more than I consumed from the grid. I had to call in to billing because the $ amount of my billing credits didn't match up.

It turns out with the net metering they will only ever credit the amount of kw-hr consumed, not necessarily the $ amount credited or sold back. Since the delivery charges on power consumed from the grid are much higher than the delivery charge credits I get when selling back from the grid my bill will always be equal to the delivery charges on the power consumed less the credit on the consumption charge alone.

This isn't terrible. My bill last month was only $32. But... that does confirm that I am better off charging off excess solar in daytime even if the sell-back credits are higher than night time consumption because I don't get hit with the delivery charges on the direct consumption.

I also only had the tesla for a week ish on this bill, so consumption next month will go up. Still, with what I'm continuing to learn I don't think I need to be worrying about jumping onto ULO rates just yet. It may be worth it in the winter when solar production is lower and my credits are all used up.

I now have an Emporia charger, which is working with my Emporia energy monitor that I had already installed. This allows us to plug the cars in during daylight and the charger will throttle to max out excess solar consumption while minimizing the pull from the grid. Next month will also be a full month with me commuting with the Y. Will be really interesting to see what next months bill / credits look like.

Interesting stuff. It does get complicated with various TOU rates, etc. I have solar panels but I am on microFIT so it is very different than net metering - the consumption is totally separate from the generation.

If you were on ULO then the other thing to consider is that ULO peak rates are at late in the day at 5-9 which is well after your peak solar production. You really want to minimize the draw from the grid at that time.

Congratulations to all twelve people in Ontario for whom ULOW rates will actually save money. For the rest of us, I guess we just have to wait until the government realizes they need to shift their strategy from ‘smoke & mirrors’ to ‘meat and potatoes’.
LOL. Reminds me a lot of how the feds keep promising to shake up the cellular and internet service markets, new seemingly interesting changes happen, but one way or another the costs for your average joe stay about the same. It’s almost becoming the Canadian joke - gouge culture.

And the irony with ULO is the hydro companies will probably have to spend more money to implement and administer this (think billing system changes for a start), so I’m sure we’ll see delivery fees creep up as well. Shouldn’t have bothered, but hey they can claim at the next election that they did all this great green stuff, and most people won’t have a clue. Hi hum, I think I’ve seen this show too many times..

Congratulations to all twelve people in Ontario for whom ULOW rates will actually save money. For the rest of us, I guess we just have to wait until the government realizes they need to shift their strategy from ‘smoke & mirrors’ to ‘meat and potatoes’.
I think anyone with an EV that drives a decent amount will be better off with ULOW. If you have two EVs in the house then you will save a decent amount.

I don't drive a ton and I am saving a bit with ULOW. Will see if that continues when Air Conditioning season kicks in, but with ULOW afternoons are $0.05 cheaper than with TOU.

I think anyone with an EV that drives a decent amount will be better off with ULOW. If you have two EVs in the house then you will save a decent amount.

I don't drive a ton and I am saving a bit with ULOW. Will see if that continues when Air Conditioning season kicks in, but with ULOW afternoons are $0.05 cheaper than with TOU.
I guess it depends on your energy usage and your current plan. I’m on TOU. I just switched to all electric - heat pump, electric furnace backup, heat pump hot water. (No gas at all!) going ULOW might be fine during the summer (when I drive less - 🚴🏼‍♂️) but the higher peak usage rates are scaring me off when I look at the winter, regardless how much I drive my car.

Reactions: UncleCreepy