Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario-wide voltage reduction test happening Thursday, July 18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that 100V is commonly used in Japan. And commercial three phase services are typically off a different transformer.

Yeah I'm not sure what they did for the Roadster in Japan. Of course IF the incoming voltage was 100/200 then 200 volts would work fine with the 'european software' such cars were probably shipped with (Instead of 12 or 15 amperes at 120, they'd use the SAME #12 AWG cord to provide 16 amps default at high voltage (in this case 200, which I KNOW the Roaster ran fine on. The lowest voltage I ever saw on it successfully charging on the high range was 189 volts. I don't know what the lower limit (assuming HIGH RANGE) voltage limit was. As I mentioned on the LOW RANGE the car seemed to need at least 102-103 volts to charge, but only at 12 amperes. It would accuse you of using an extension cord (alarm) but it would charge anyway. At the 15 ampere setting you'd get the 'extension cord' warning but the car would refuse to charge.

Voltage dropped from 193V to 186V and car still charging.
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 9.59.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 10.02.30 AM.png

Wasn't plugged in for the 5% drop at 2pm, but of the 4 cars plugged in, 2 were done charging (Model 3 and Volt) and 2 still charging (Model 3 and Prius Prime), and I checked at 2:15pm so I'm guessing they continued charging after the drop, assuming that they didn't plug in between 2:00pm and 2:15pm after the voltage had already dropped.