Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oops, my angle grinder slipped and went off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is NOT a recommendation or a "how to". However it is something that happened and I took pictures, so I'll share them here. Govern yourself accordingly.

To help keep my ample butt in a fixed location during high G maneuvers I ordered a CG Lock. Unfortunately it turns out the front buckles on the Model 3 are a bit fancier than the CG Lock was designed for. They are still single loop, though, as per the CG Lock's instructions. It is just that the back end is oddly shaped.

I really, really wanted to start driving left-foot braking in AX yesterday and that just wasn't going to happen without getting a lot more seating stability. As luck would have it my angle grinder, with a cutting blade in it, slipped and went off. This was the result.

oops sidegrinder slipped.png

My tools must have been in a clumsy mood, as my lineman pliers then slipped twice. Once to trim off a piece, and then they curled the remaining bit back.

CG trimmed.png

There were still some burrs and edges, so for safety sake I quickly filed these off. A lazy, bush league person would have done this by spinning up the grinder, cutting the power, then using the last bit of motion from it to polish. Hypothetically.

CG filed.png

Serendipitously the result of all of this was a CG Lock that could be used on the Model 3 front buckle, with two caveats. Once you get the tongue in the belt will not move. So I had to be sure I had the exact lap length before I screwed the lower clamp into place, and it also means it is unfeasible to have it installed while daily driving. The second caveat is I needed to be very careful with the Allen wrench to keep from damaging the the screw head, as the angle is tight getting to the screw head.

CG installed.png

I created a new profile to complement my X Plus Size, helmet-friendly driver profile. The new profile has the seat all the way down, slid all way back, the seat back tilted back a bit, and the lumbar all the way back. This is where I measured the lap belt to just be able to clip in. After I clip in I yank to lock the shoulder to lock into place as close as I can get it and then squirm to change the driver profile.

The result was near magical. No clinging on for dear life to the steering wheel, to need to "stand" with my left foot under heavy de-acceleration and cornering.

Also 2nd of maybe 6-8 drivers in D-Street class, using my left foot. The couple runs were tougher as I was really thinking about the brake and how I was going to use it, on top of trying to learn the course. Cones on both those runs, greatly over-estimated the speed I could carry through the slaloms. The third I got faster and then that messed up my entry to a 180. On the forth I needed to use braking in a way I hadn't planned and no-one was more surprised than me when my left foot just did its thing. Huh.

Anyway, just remember to not do this at home, kids.

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr
So you’re screwing around with your car’s main safety device that is the #1 thing protecting your life?
? No. I'm not sure I'd call seatbelts the "car's main safety device". It is important feature but hardly the only one. More importantly even if you did this was the "not doing that" option. As per the linked post, could swap in an easier to fit to buckle but that would involve taking apart the top tension assembly.
And the third party product is being used with equipment it’s not designed for?
It doesn't fit precisely as-is but it is of the style that the CG Lock was designed for. In a way, because of the wedging that happens, it actually puts less strain on the CG Lock itself. It also means that there isn't as much potential for wear on the belt from the CG Lock's knurled metal roller. After removing the device there wasn't any visible wear or anything.

Really it is probably a lot more safe like this in the event of a crash. You'd definitely have a lot more control of the vehicle something undesirable was happening as that's the whole point here in doing this, to maintain better control over the vehicle under extreme conditions. Mostly this is keeping things stable with the lap portion of the seatbelt in firmly in the correct placement to do its job. It keeps the belt well down on the hip bones, as opposed to potentially sliding up and over. Your odds are a lot better with a seatbelt but occasionally there is serious injury from a lap belt riding up too high and pressing into the abdomen.

The two caveats on that.

1) The timing on the airbag might be a bit off optimal because, as I understand it, the steering wheel airbag firing is timed to meet your face/chest at a certain point in space. Because the shoulder belt is already locked your chest is unlikely to move as far forward. However not sure how bad that is given that the upside is that the seatbelt is acting in a more optimal way by not letting your body movement fall as far out of sync with the car's frame.
2) Having the shoulder strap holding you in firmly makes it harder to shoulder check. The Model 3's smaller side mirrors leave a fairly substantial blind spot if just used on their own.

Mostly though no way I'd use this for daily driving because of how much effort it takes to get yourself set in. It is a real hassle, and not very comfortable either.

Last edited:
My understanding of the CG lock is you tighten the lap part of safety belt to secure your body. Then use the lock to prevent shoulder part of the belt slip through the hole so the lap part will not be loosen. If this is correct, it seems no very necessary to actually screw the lock itself onto the loop. It should still work without a hard link because anyway the CG lock itself is much larger than the loophole. The only difference is without a hard link your lap part of the belt has the freedom of moving out of the loop, however that should tighten your body even more, which I don’t see any problem from.

This is NOT a recommendation or a "how to". However it is something that happened and I took pictures, so I'll share them here. Govern yourself accordingly.

To help keep my ample butt in a fixed location during high G maneuvers I ordered a CG Lock. Unfortunately it turns out the front buckles on the Model 3 are a bit fancier than the CG Lock was designed for. They are still single loop, though, as per the CG Lock's instructions. It is just that the back end is oddly shaped.

I really, really wanted to start driving left-foot braking in AX yesterday and that just wasn't going to happen without getting a lot more seating stability. As luck would have it my angle grinder, with a cutting blade in it, slipped and went off. This was the result.

View attachment 380419

My tools must have been in a clumsy mood, as my lineman pliers then slipped twice. Once to trim off a piece, and then they curled the remaining bit back.

View attachment 380429

There were still some burrs and edges, so for safety sake I quickly filed these off. A lazy, bush league person would have done this by spinning up the grinder, cutting the power, then using the last bit of motion from it to polish. Hypothetically.

View attachment 380428

Serendipitously the result of all of this was a CG Lock that could be used on the Model 3 front buckle, with two caveats. Once you get the tongue in the belt will not move. So I had to be sure I had the exact lap length before I screwed the lower clamp into place, and it also means it is unfeasible to have it installed while daily driving. The second caveat is I needed to be very careful with the Allen wrench to keep from damaging the the screw head, as the angle is tight getting to the screw head.

View attachment 380426

I created a new profile to complement my X Plus Size, helmet-friendly driver profile. The new profile has the seat all the way down, slid all way back, the seat back tilted back a bit, and the lumbar all the way back. This is where I measured the lap belt to just be able to clip in. After I clip in I yank to lock the shoulder to lock into place as close as I can get it and then squirm to change the driver profile.

The result was near magical. No clinging on for dear life to the steering wheel, to need to "stand" with my left foot under heavy de-acceleration and cornering.

Also 2nd of maybe 6-8 drivers in D-Street class, using my left foot. The couple runs were tougher as I was really thinking about the brake and how I was going to use it, on top of trying to learn the course. Cones on both those runs, greatly over-estimated the speed I could carry through the slaloms. The third I got faster and then that messed up my entry to a 180. On the forth I needed to use braking in a way I hadn't planned and no-one was more surprised than me when my left foot just did its thing. Huh.

Anyway, just remember to not do this at home, kids.
Ready for liftoff?

My understanding of the CG lock is you tighten the lap part of safety belt to secure your body. Then use the lock to prevent shoulder part of the belt slip through the hole so the lap part will not be loosen. If this is correct, it seems no very necessary to actually screw the lock itself onto the loop. It should still work without a hard link because anyway the CG lock itself is much larger than the loophole. The only difference is without a hard link your lap part of the belt has the freedom of moving out of the loop, however that should tighten your body even more, which I don’t see any problem from.
My concern is when heavy pressure is applied, if the clamp isn’t screwed on it could be levered sideway by the force and that’d be a hazard for jabbing into your side.