Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OOPS - wish that had not happened

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new MS owner and thought a couple of my stupid stunts were unique to me. After talking to a few others maybe not all my goofs are unique to me and while embarrassing sharing some of these experiences might be helpful to others. Maybe even save some dented fenders or worse. I searched for this type of thread and came up empty. If it exists please delete and/or redirect me.

Always make sure you are in "D" before doing the Ludicrous thing! I backed up in a parking lot to get more room to do the Ludicrous and forgot to shift into "D". The car goes really fast in reverse :) It is easy to get distracted talking about the car to passengers and do this kind of stupid.

Leaving the car in cruise mode when you are second in line at a stop light and the car in front of you makes a right on red can create more excitement than you really want.

More to follow I'm afraid....

But hopefully helpful to others.

Well...going fast in reverse isn't in my future. I seldom go fast in FWD and don't have any friends (except the court-ordered ones) to impress.

But that second point...I do that a lot. Never ever crossed my mind...the car turning right and away I go...thing. Happily I get to learn from you instead of the other way around. So, mission accomplished. Awesome post.

Leaving the car in cruise mode when you are second in line at a stop light and the car in front of you makes a right on red can create more excitement than you really want.

More to follow I'm afraid....

But hopefully helpful to others.

This also applies to using autopilot on the highway. TACC & AutoSteer.

I was in stop and go traffic in the middle lane. I was at a slow crawl (<10 mph) and a car moved in front of me, obviously trying to get to the exit to the right. I was watching what autopilot did. It registered the car as entering my lane, and turned the car blue (since we were going so slow it wasn't tracking the lane markers anymore). Then as the car moved to the right lane, autopilot started to follow him. I figured that might happen (I saw a youtube video before about something similar), so I took over, and kept in the middle lane.

I've got one! When you are using TACC and AutoPilot on smaller back roads, it limits the speed to 5mph over the speed limit. This can be very handy when you are on a road that is nominally 50mph, but slows to 25mph when you get into town. This is nice, keeps me from getting speeding tickets. I wish TACC worked that way too. Unfortunately, if you hit a steep curve or a dodgy situation and have to take over steering responsibilities, the car will reset to 50mph and try to rocket down the road. It will get your heart pumping.