Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Op-Ed: Why I’d Still Choose A Tesla Model 3 Over The Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me the Y looks like a Model 3 that got fat. The only thing I'm really envious of is the factory blacked out trim, which I achieved a similar result with a wrap. Obviously still a nice car, and nicer than the MX (especially on the wallet), but I just don't personally get the SUV craze in North America. How often do people actually make use of that space? Most Americans just drive themselves to work and back with maybe a briefcase or something. I do think it will be Tesla's most successful car in terms of volume though!

I just don't personally get the SUV craze in North America. How often do people actually make use of that space? Most Americans just drive themselves to work and back with maybe a briefcase or something.
No doubt some are buying SUV's for no reason other than it's the thing to have today.

The vast majority of days I don't need the extra room of an SUV. But one of my vehicles has been a medium sized SUV for the last 20 years. And perhaps 10 or 12 times a year I need that room (some Costco runs come to mind) and sometimes I need the room on the spur of the moment. It's good to have the flexibility when you need it versus having to rent or borrow another vehicle. And the average SUV drives and handles more like a car today, whereas 20 years ago the average SUV drove and handled more like a truck. And there are a few SUV's out there that handle amazing well for an SUV, for example the Macan and the Stelvio.

And lots of folks will tell you they like riding up higher in heavy traffic to be able to see better, myself included, although I also have a sports car at home in the garage.

Last edited:
if the model y came out first and you told me there was a smaller version coming out that is faster, quieter and has better range, I'd for sure upgrade to that vehicle

something i havent seen mentioned much is how loud the model y is vs. the model 3. The model y has an open cabin and no division between the trunk and cabin

I’ve thought the same thing about people who own sports cars. How often do you need to hit 130+ MPH?
And yet you bought a performance car for what, puttering around town at 30kmph? Could have bought a Nissan Leaf or Hyundai ionic and saved tens of thousands of dollars. Also performance cars aren't just about speed, the superior handling, acceleration, and braking help in almost every driving situation, except perhaps off road (again a fairly rare event for most drivers in NA). Top speed is an awful metric of a sports car's qualities.

No doubt some are buying SUV's for no reason other than it's the thing to have today.

The vast majority of days I don't need the extra room of an SUV. But one of my vehicles has been a medium sized SUV for the last 20 years. And perhaps 10 or 12 times a year I need that room (some Costco runs come to mind) and sometimes I need the room on the spur of the moment. It's good to have the flexibility when you need it versus having to rent or borrow another vehicle. And the average SUV drives and handles more like a car today, whereas 20 years ago the average SUV drove and handled more like a truck. And there are a few SUV's out there that handle amazing well for an SUV, for example the Macan and the Stelvio.

And lots of folks will tell you they like riding up higher in heavy traffic to be able to see better, myself included, although I also have a sports car at home in the garage.
Yeah I think the trend is borne from the down sizing of the sedan. Many sedans in the early 2000's got so small that large guys like me (6'4 and 200 pounds) felt forced into SUV's if you wanted to have room to sit comfortably, at the same time, body on frame SUV's started disappearing, and SUV's that could actually handle okay showed up. Thankfully, this awful trend in tiny sedans seems to be dying, and the Model 3 is one of a few new sedans I can sit in without the seat all the way back and still be comfortable.

It is quite interesting to me as a Canadian how America has become home of the SUV, though. Every time I drive down in the states it's RARE to see two people in a car, and the HOV lane is often near empty, even in LA traffic it is rarely used versus here (where it barely gives you any benefit in rush hour). Nice to zip through all the traffic in, but it is a curious trend that makes me wonder.

Not sure what having a sports car (at least in the U.S.) has to do with 130 mph (unless you are tracking the car, and even in that event you likely are not exceeding 130)

I guess I wasn’t clear or a little too literal, so I let me explain.

The statement I was replying to was, “I just don't personally get the SUV craze in North America. How often do people actually make use of that space?”

As an SUV owner, my two cents: it’s not how often I’m able to make use of the space. It’s the possibility of being able to utilize the space if needed that appeals to me.

That appeal is what I was comparing to owning a car with a very high top speed. How often do those owners get to reach the top speed? I doubt many ever get even close. But the possibility of being able to hit that top speed is a metric that sells. Tesla wouldn’t proudly display it front and center if it didn’t.

And I know, this isn’t the only reason to own a performance vehicle, and neither is space the only reason to own an SUV.

The choice really is about one's preference as well as needs. I just took delivery of a M3P, and coming from a 2019 Cayenne S and a 2016 Macan S prior to that, I really appreciate the lighter weight, lower center of gravity, the quick reflexes, the great frontal visibility, and incredible torque of the Tesla. The Porsches were powerful, handled extremely well for being an SUV, and is beautifully built, but I always felt the extra weight, especially when accelerating or braking. It made climbing into after a weekend spent in my lightweight S2000 or Duetto Spyder a chore (yes, first world problems).

While I have not driven the Model Y, I frankly don't need the superior space or utility, as I spend 95% of the time by myself in the car. For the trip to Home Depot or a family vacation, we have the Honda Odyssey. If I were to replace my wife's minivan, the Model X or Y would be a fine choice. Otherwise, I would be sacrificing acceleration, mileage and handling by selecting the SUV version Tesla. And while looks are subjective, I can't help but be reminded of the odd proportions of this SUV whenever I see the Model Y.

iu

iu

I have a big truck and minivan for space. I like the MY over the M3 for its rear seat comfort, higher driving position (comfort, less headlights in eyes from front and outside rear view mirror), ease of entry/exit, visibility, and ground clearance (uneven roads, speed bumps, and snow). All of these benefits for $4k and only lose 6 miles of range?* Sounds good to me!

The bigger frunk, rear storage, and hatchback are great, but secondary for me.

* Real world range TBD

Reactions: MXLRplus
With all due respect, an article such as this only exists due to insecurity and doubt. Be confident in your decision to choose either a 3 or a Y, you don't need to justify your decision to others unless you're looking for confirmation.
Just joined the forum yesterday, and I'm very surprised how some people try to take pot shots at others with differing opinions.

I have no issue with the article as written. Clearly the author respects that his priorities may not be the priorities of the next person, and it's not like he is saying anyone buying the Y is making a mistake.

For someone who is between these two models, hearing other's thoughts could be valuable. Even if you don't make the same final choice as the author, you might learn about an aspect you never thought of. I enjoy hearing and value other's opinions so long as they are not pushy about it.

Reactions: AdamMacDon and MY-Y
To me the Y looks like a Model 3 that got fat. The only thing I'm really envious of is the factory blacked out trim, which I achieved a similar result with a wrap. Obviously still a nice car, and nicer than the MX (especially on the wallet), but I just don't personally get the SUV craze in North America. How often do people actually make use of that space? Most Americans just drive themselves to work and back with maybe a briefcase or something. I do think it will be Tesla's most successful car in terms of volume though!

When you get old, or perhaps get a bad back or neck, I predict you'll begin to understand.

Reactions: Electric Steve
When you get old, or perhaps get a bad back or neck, I predict you'll begin to understand.
Perhaps, but my mother who has several pinched discs prefers her mini cooper over our family minivan, so then again perhaps age and poor spinal condition don't always equate to a love of bigger vehicles. I feel like the SUV craze is more driven by younger people, from what I've seen. Purely anecdotal though.

As someone who is turning 70 in couple of months and has a bad back and stiff knees you need to explain it to me. One of the things I do appreciate about Tesla is having to stop to Supercharge which pretty much forces me out of the car to stretch and limber up.

And the thing I love about my P3 is there is pretty much nothing on the road that can mess with me. And yes, I've had mine over 125 MPH getting away from some a-hole in a lifted pickup with a million cubic engine that you could hear for miles who wanted to play.

As someone who is turning 70 in couple of months and has a bad back and stiff knees you need to explain it to me. One of the things I do appreciate about Tesla is having to stop to Supercharge which pretty much forces me out of the car to stretch and limber up.

And the thing I love about my P3 is there is pretty much nothing on the road that can mess with me. And yes, I've had mine over 125 MPH getting away from some a-hole in a lifted pickup with a million cubic engine that you could hear for miles who wanted to play.
I can only hope when I am 70 I am this cool, haha. I love the feeling of being in a performance car, especially the model 3. It is like being in an F-18 while everyone else is flying cargo planes around, you can outmaneuver and out-handle pretty much anyone if you need too. Especially jerks in lifted trucks, haha.

I don't find these kinds of articles particularly helpful. Yes, they're clickbait intended to take advantage of insecurities, but mostly they just don't matter. Their criteria don't apply to me, so their conclusions are meaningless.

None of the vehicles I've owned had a trunk. I've driven a few with trunks, and I still prefer a hatchback, not to mention a higher vantage point on the road. As much as I appreciate the Tesla 3, now's not the time for me to settle for a trunk, not when I have viable alternatives (and, for me, the X wasn't one of them).

It's really that simple. If I wanted to take my car on the track, then a 3 would be the right answer, but for anything else, I'm pretty comfortable with the decision to get a Y. We'll see how this holds up once I get mine, of course.

My wife gets the SUV. I get the sport sedan. I've loved them since the Maxima came out decades ago. There have been so many gorgeous looking German uber-sedans, and now there's the coupe-like sedans like the Audi A/S/RS5 and Kia Stinger. The form is just so much sexier than an SUV, CUV or whatever you want to call them. Plus the driving position and handling make you feel like you're driving a racecar.

That said, if my wife got a Perf Y, I'd drive the *sugar* out of it.

Crossovers are 40% of the US market now. Even the RAV4 and Escape that were more SUV style have become softer and crossover-ified.

As well as the higher seating position, crossovers also provide more headroom, so giving more internal space.

Reactions: Electric Steve