Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opel Ampera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Haha... look at that guy!

article-2281088-17ACA6A3000005DC-176_634x347.jpg

Mr. Peilow himself.

Rumours are rife that GM Europe won't continue to offer the Ampera when the Gen 2 Volt comes out. As Chevrolet also pulled out of Europe, that means there could be no Voltec option here after next year.

I did some analysis on US vs. UK sales of the cars. GM's UK sales and marketing team should hang their heads in shame that they cannot shift this car in $9 / gallon Britain.

Ampera sales.png

Rumours are rife that GM Europe won't continue to offer the Ampera when the Gen 2 Volt comes out. As Chevrolet also pulled out of Europe, that means there could be no Voltec option here after next year.

I did some analysis on US vs. UK sales of the cars. GM's UK sales and marketing team should hang their heads in shame that they cannot shift this car in $9 / gallon Britain.

View attachment 54381

Seriously. What's the problem there? I've been in the Volt a bit and it seems like a perfectly nice vehicle. Has OK electric range for a hybrid. While it doesn't have the wagon body style that's preferred over there, it is at least a hatch. Is it overpriced? Or a branding issue? Otherwise it seems like it should have been a great seller.

After watching that review I can understand why the car is selling so poorly. It's an expensive car for what you get: only seats four, small trunk (and no frunk), visibility not very good, slow charging rate, MPG is good but not great. Those are the "problems" you are wondering about. The European market has looked at it and is not impressed. It's going to be cancelled. In the US the Volt is likely barely hanging on as a profitable model for GM.

Obviously the Ampera/Volt works fine if you have a short commute and can charge overnight at home. But compared to similar size (exterior dimensions) ICE hatchbacks that can seat five and have much larger trunks for much less money and have as good or better mpg on long trips it's not a compelling vehicle to most people.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a brand and price issue. If the car had a BMW badge on the front, no one would be complaining.

As it is, Vauxhall is a mass market brand and the price was a little out of the league that their customers typically pay. But recent discounting has seen that drop to less than the equivalent diesel Astra. Even before the discount, the car was better value IMHO (and why I bought one).

GM was going to position the Vauxhall brand up market and move Chevrolet to the mass market slot, but they lost they're nerve and reverted. That doesn't help.

But I have no worries over interior space, build, charging or mpg. After two years the car gets exactly what the manufacturer claimed.

20140722_194906-1.jpg