Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open charge port door while asleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I'm a bit confused about this since a search seems to reveal conflicting answers on this, some yes and some no. So my question is, while my M3 is asleep, and not currently plugged in, am I supposed to be able to press/hold the button to wake the car up and then press/hold open the charge port door using the UMC button?

I know that while its plugged in it works to wake up the car, but does it work before plugging in?

Yes, mine wakes from a deep sleep and opens the charge port when I press the button on the mobile cord, even from 10 feet away, even with no phone. I have not tried this with the car locked but obviously it would require my phone to be in proximity for that case.

This is very useful since you can't just kick the charge port door to open it if the car is asleep.

Yes, mine wakes from a deep sleep and opens the charge port when I press the button on the mobile cord, even from 10 feet away, even with no phone. I have not tried this with the car locked but obviously it would require my phone to be in proximity for that case.

This is very useful since you can't just kick the charge port door to open it if the car is asleep.

My car is always locked (even in my garage), but even if I take my phone (key) out there, if its sleep and not plugged in, the button on the charger doesnt wake it. I will need to try my wifes car, which is a 2022 model Y to see if there is some difference there.

I have Gen 2 wall connectors (2 of them), and as I said it doesnt work for me, but I havent tried it in at least a few months. We plug the cars in every time we pull into the garage, even though they dont charge until the middle of the night (and then only if they have dropped below what I have set).

My car is always locked (even in my garage), but even if I take my phone (key) out there, if its sleep and not plugged in, the button on the charger doesnt wake it. I will need to try my wifes car, which is a 2022 model Y to see if there is some difference there.

I have Gen 2 wall connectors (2 of them), and as I said it doesnt work for me, but I havent tried it in at least a few months. We plug the cars in every time we pull into the garage, even though they dont charge until the middle of the night (and then only if they have dropped below what I have set).
I wonder if the difference in behavior is leaving car locked vs unlocked. Now that I think about it, maybe everyone it's works for sets their car to be unlocked while at home?

100% opening the charge port with the keyfob will wake the car up. You can hear the HV contactors denoting it’s waking up.

The screen won’t come on if you don’t open a door though, but the car will be awake.

Obviously opening the charge port with the app will wake the car up, as simply opening the app will do that.

Yes there's some sort of delay to 'wake up' the car before the charge door responds to open commands. Some things I do to wake up the car before removing the charge cable:
- Open a door (half open the handle, etc)
- Connect to car via app (ie when pre warming/cooling the HVAC)
- Press the charge door open button and just wait a few moments