TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Open ChargePort

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Fuzzylogic, Sep 4, 2013.

1. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

#21 TonyWilliams, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    The card is coming to you US Priority Mail. You're welcome to put three test leads in the annotated spots. Please use the correct colors, if you can, just to keep things easy to follow along. The antenna outputs U1 at R5 to loop around the card (U1 pins 3 and 4):

Blue - 3.3 VDC
    Green - Ground
    Orange - Proximity

befe3d33-79cb-4a9d-8b6f-106c0553ec90.jpg

http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/Si4010.pdf

U1:

image-5.jpg

U1 Programming Mode

image-6.jpg

2. Fuzzylogic

Fuzzylogic EU Sport 359 & S94

The Center wire is ground.
    Green must be the Proximity wire.

3. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

Of course, and I have them backwards!!!

From top to bottom should be Power 3.3 VDC "blue", Ground "green" and Proximity "orange".

4. Fuzzylogic

For the DIY-ers:

The original design, used a PIC 12F1822 microcontroller.
    Now i also created a version for the cheapest version available from microchip, the PIC 10F200.
    It can be downloaded here

5. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

Tony,

Will do and thank you. I did see the thermals on the "Green" and figured that was ground. I normally will confirm power and ground off the ICs prior to trying to power anything up.

6. necho

necho Member

Thanks a lot Fuzzylogic, I'm very pleased by your great work ... have used your program and put everything together, happily I had a type 2 cable that had a unused metal button. So I opened it up and build everything into the switch, happily it was small enough. Here are the pictures ...

2013-09-19 21.55.29.jpg
    2013-09-19 21.56.08.jpg

that's the type two I got with the metal switch on top

2013-09-19 21.59.10.jpg

and that's the way everything fit in there

2013-09-19 22.51.33.jpg

... and it works fantastic!! hope the battery last some time!!

Many thanks again to Fuzzylogic!!

7. Fuzzylogic

Cool!
    Great that you got it to work, and thanks for sharing the pictures!

Never seen a Type2 connector with the buildt in switch. Where did you get this?

8. necho

necho Member

9. Ben W

Ben W P85 #61, Roadster #108

It wouldn't have to. It already communicates with the car, so it could tell the car to open the charge port, say with a triple-tap or tap-and-hold; it wouldn't have to interface with the charge port directly. I requested this feature a year ago, and I guess it never got anywhere. Alas, maybe one day.

10. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Very good point, my brain must have been in sleep-mode that day. :)

11. lolachampcar

12. lolachampcar

13. L@urens

[email protected] Family, Racing, Karting, MTBing

I anyone planning on selling a 'complete' version, that is: in a (tiny) housing?

14. lolachampcar

Right now I am working with the OpenEVSE guys to do a board that fits in the OpenEVSE box. We are looking at ways to get the button on the 1772 handle to actuate the transmitter (not looking good right now), put a button on the box itself or have a key fob dongle type thing hanging from the handle to make it convenient. My development kit came with a 315 MHz key fob but SiLabs does not seem to sell them separately like they do for the other frequencies. In short, still looking for options.

I got in the new Si4010 parts and now need to replace the programmed part on my fob with a blank one so I can try out my code.

15. L@urens

[email protected] Family, Racing, Karting, MTBing

Good stuff. I'd opt for a key fob that hangs with your keys or charge plug. This will probably see wider adoption as you're not solely providing a solution for OpenEVSE users.

16. lolachampcar

I know. I just do not want to deal with sourcing the buttons, button overlay, plastics and the like as those things can be a real pain. Hopefully I can find a Si4010 based fob in the 315 MHz range and just swap the 4010.

17. q2222

q2222 New Member

Hello,
    I am following the Forum for more than four years now and I thought it is time to place my first post... I have designed a key fob last Sunday based on the fact that my third prototype died (humid weather conditions in Switzerland). I do actually not know if my design works as planned- we will see. The design is based on a PIC12LF1840T39A.

Printscreen.png

18. lolachampcar

19. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

20. MindBender

MindBender Bite my shiny metal ass

Can anybody please confirm (or deny) that this is the proper radio unit:
    http://nl.farnell.com/aurel/tx-mid-3v/rf-mod-tx-am-ook-3v-433-92mhz/dp/1699470
    to use with the existing project (https://github.com/mstegen/Open-Chargeport)? The part number most closely matching the part number mention (http://nl.farnell.com/aurel/tx-saw433s-z-rfm/rf-module-tx-ook-434mhz-ext-ant/dp/1699491) seems to have a different footprint.

Would a 5v version (http://nl.farnell.com/aurel/tx-mid-5v/rf-mod-tx-am-ook-5v-433-92mhz/dp/1699471) work as well? The PIC12F1822 doesn't seem to have a problem with 5v.
    I'm intending to built it into my charging equipment, which already has 5v available.