Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open/Close Door Features Exclusive to X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X is in service to repair a small ding and paint that occured during delivery and SC gave me a P85D Model S as a loaner, which is cool and fun to drive.

However, i noticed the S has no door features like the X where u can open/close doors from the screen and from the fob key. Are these features exclusive to the X?
Also pushing the break pedal to close the driver door, is that also exclusively for the X?

To me, these are premium "tesla" features that should be in the S as well since X and S are their flagship cars. Didnt know how much i loved these features until they arr gone.

Tesla needs to bring those door features to the Model S in the next refresh. but I think the push button door handle on the MX is less intuitive - pushing the handle detent inward to activate the door opening back at you is just ok. I kinda like the self-presenting MS handles now that they worked out all the kinks and overcame the initial failures,

These lazy- motordoors were one of the main reasons I chose X over S when I bought a new Tesla.

Had S for almost 3 years before. Love the push door handles on X. Feels very natural when door kind of just pushes out into your hand when you press the button.

Reactions: Kacey Green
the s could seriously benefit from soft-close doors at minimum...like the x has...

Agreed, but the soft-close on the X front doors doesn't work that well in reality - the motors just slam the doors straight through it! So ironically the soft close only works when you gently close them manually. What the X desperately needs is a door damper to prevent slamming. Then it would be perfect.

These lazy- motordoors were one of the main reasons I chose X over S when I bought a new Tesla.

You know I never thought much about the powered doors on the X before I bought it, but they have been a bit of a revelation. So much more useful than I ever imagined. When my wife and kids get out they invariably leave all the doors open and now I can close everything conveniently with the fob or screen. Also loving the self-presenting driver's door which I thought was a gimmick at first. I hardly have to touch the doors now, which is a good thing because the chrome buttons show fingerprints like crazy! As my comment in the above post, it would be just perfect if the front doors soft closed instead of slamming shut with the motors.

When we received our X last month, we immediately turned off the self presenting doors. In our garage, the X is nearest the door going into the house - and our S is parked on the other side of the garage. If we carry both keys with us and want to go to the S, and not drive the X, the self presenting doors would open, requiring us to close them, in order to get around the X and get to the other car.

What would be useful would be geolocation setting for the self-presenting doors - so you could disable it in your home garage, and enable it away from home, when you only have one vehicle you're approaching.

Compared to our S, the door pockets are a great improvement, as it the extra area available under the front/middle row seats.

I agree but I wish the action was not so hard to press. It would be cooler IMHO if they responded to just touch vs a hard press.
Touch would be cool, but unless they take some precautions I suspect that the doors would be triggered by ice/snow/mud etc...

The hard press is sometimes too soft. People that drive X into a car wash and forget to lock seem to experience that their doors open mid-wash due to water pressing the buttons. Push buttons probably have to be harder by design than pull buttons to prevent such events.

• Informative
You know I never thought much about the powered doors on the X before I bought it, but they have been a bit of a revelation. So much more useful than I ever imagined. When my wife and kids get out they invariably leave all the doors open and now I can close everything conveniently with the fob or screen. Also loving the self-presenting driver's door which I thought was a gimmick at first. I hardly have to touch the doors now, which is a good thing because the chrome buttons show fingerprints like crazy! As my comment in the above post, it would be just perfect if the front doors soft closed instead of slamming shut with the motors.
About door slamming I agree. They could probably fix that in software by slowing the door down a few cm before closed position, then let the soft-close close it.

Should be optional though, because whenever something like that changes, people that like it as it is will whine about it here on TMC a year after :).