Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Driver Door with Fob - Non-PUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of X75D in June, months before PUP version is standard. While I don't really care for most of the upgrades on the PUP version, I do prefer to have the ability to trigger the driver door to open via the fob. This is something that can be enabled by SC?

I took delivery of X75D in June, months before PUP version is standard. While I don't really care for most of the upgrades on the PUP version, I do prefer to have the ability to trigger the driver door to open via the fob. This is something that can be enabled by SC?

They won't do it, maybe in the past Tesla may have done it but now they are more "corporate" and that initial great Tesla white glove service is diminished or gone.

I have to ask why? To avoid finger marks on the chrome? That's about the only benefit I can think of.

On a cold wintry day, I would love to have the hands in my pocket to trigger door open via fob as I approach the vehicle and jump right in instead of reaching out press and wait for door to open. Might seem insignificant, but I used to feel that about the auto door close on brake till I miss it immensely whenever I get a rental car to drive.

On a cold wintry day, I would love to have the hands in my pocket to trigger door open via fob as I approach the vehicle and jump right in instead of reaching out press and wait for door to open. Might seem insignificant, but I used to feel that about the auto door close on brake till I miss it immensely whenever I get a rental car to drive.

That's not a bad idea actually, might try it tomorrow! I have PUP and have tried living with the full auto door opening, but had a few close calls when it popped open and therefore disabled it. But using the key fob might be a good solution.

Join the team of owners that got stuck between the PUP as separate options and the PUP included where those options were clearly overpriced. Even the Tesla sales staff were playing down PUP and were not even fully trained with the options. They told me that Fobs were opening all doors and only the automatic opening was part of the PUP. You can read more about users asking for adding some of the PUP options to existing cards in the thread Premium Upgrades Package for Old-timers!

Did not know key fob can be used to open driver side door in non-PUP!

You can't, that's the OP's very point!

But I've also discovered that it doesn't appear to work with PUP either unless you have auto-door opening enabled, which was a slight disappointment. I've given up with the fully auto-opening driver's door because sooner or later it catches you out and the potential consequences are simply not worth the utility. I had a couple of very close calls when the door popped open just a little earlier than I was expecting on approach in a tight situation. I thought using the key fob to trigger the door opening might be a good compromise, but seems it's all or nothing. Oh well, having to actually press the door button is a serious first world issue, lol!

You can't, that's the OP's very point!

But I've also discovered that it doesn't appear to work with PUP either unless you have auto-door opening enabled, which was a slight disappointment. I've given up with the fully auto-opening driver's door because sooner or later it catches you out and the potential consequences are simply not worth the utility. I had a couple of very close calls when the door popped open just a little earlier than I was expecting on approach in a tight situation. I thought using the key fob to trigger the door opening might be a good compromise, but seems it's all or nothing. Oh well, having to actually press the door button is a serious first world issue, lol!
I did not know those options could not be separated. Tesla should definitely be considering the fob and auto-opening as two distinct options as they are completely unrelated. As for “serious first world issue”, I agree with you but the fob would be VERY convenient to us living in the great north when our temperature drop under -25c and the fragile door handles are covered with salt or when we have ice rain followed by -20c temperature drops.

I did not know those options could not be separated. Tesla should definitely be considering the fob and auto-opening as two distinct options as they are completely unrelated. As for “serious first world issue”, I agree with you but the fob would be VERY convenient to us living in the great north when our temperature drop under -25c and the fragile door handles are covered with salt or when we have ice rain followed by -20c temperature drops.

I understand it would be nice to have that feature. But when you disable auto-doors on the main screen you also lose the ability to open the front doors with the key fob. Maybe there is some workaround as I haven't looked any deeper into it, but I doubt it.

I suggest you send Tesla support an email requesting to unbundle the automatic doors feature. While I don't have PUP on my 2018, I submitted the suggestion back in early 2017 when I had PUP on the previous car. Looks like almost 2 years later nothing has changed. I guess fart app is progress.