TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Open Frunk with Screwdriver

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by sdorn, Feb 10, 2017.

1. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

2. MasterT

MasterT Member

A really moronic video about "insane security flaw". It is a documented safety feature.

Read more here: First Responders | Tesla

upload_2017-2-10_10-41-16.png

3. Altes

Altes Member

This is quite a STUPID design, hopefully its some form of regulatory requirement (I think maybe Porsche does this too) and not an intended design. this release means there is no secured storage in the car (sorry but glass is easily broken), which should be designed in for hatchbacks

4. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

If I understand correctly, on pre-refresh Model S this is more difficult, isn't it?

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

This isn't anything new. We've known about this for awhile.

It's changed several times. For 2012/3/4 the manual release is roughly behind the glovebox. For 2015s it's in the nosecone. 2016s are as noted above. And those aren't hard dates, despite the First Responder's guides being labeled as such.

What I don't really understand is, if the purpose is to provide access to the cut loop, why didn't they just make the cut loop accessible from outside the vehicle instead of making it easy to open the frunk?

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

One of the things noted in the article that I thought was interesting is that Tesla is supposed to notify you of this and advise you not to store anything valuable in the frunk. This was not covered in my delivery at all, even though we went through the car's features extensively including the frunk.

• Like x 3
  7. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#7 stopcrazypp, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    I would presume the cut loop needs to be protected from weather and risk of damage from externally. It may also have to do with the routing of it.

Not news to me either. But this is the first time it has been widely covered by social media.

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

The Porsche ones are similar. One is under the headlight (more similar to Model X implementation). The other is in the front wheel well (either on driver or passenger side depending on model). They are in harder to reach places, but they don't serve an emergency function (it's primarily for in case the battery is dead, as their frunk uses an electronic latch). Plus their location is not documented, unlike with Tesla which has it for emergency responders.

9. Tam

Tam Active Member

How about to relocate the power cut loop to the locations of unlocking the frunk.

Thus, first responders don't have to go through a procedure of unlocking the frunk if the power cut loop is right there.

10. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

Have you ever opened a trunk with a crow bar? I did once when a formed tenant abandoned a car (an old Cadillac) at my parent's rental property along with a bunch of junk left in the garage. My father and I opened the trunk, put all the junk in there and called the city to tow it away (the car was on the street in front of the house). I was about 12 at the time and I was able to pop the trunk open in a few seconds. It took virtually no effort.

Just about all new cars today, including Teslas have car alarms, so anyone opening anything without the key is going to set off the alarm as long as the car has power.

Probably the most secure place to put things in a Tesla is the smuggler's hold under the floor in the back. Even if a potential car prowler knows about the frunk, they probably don't know about the under floor storage in the back.

• Like x 1
  11. kort677

kort677 Banned

you can pop open any lock on any car with a screwdriver.
    no real news about this "issue"

• Like x 1
  12. Altes

Altes Member

Yeah that little pleather finger loop wont tip them off....yes i realize you can open anything with a crowbar, its the effort required that matters, and whens the last time you even REACTED to a car alarm?