Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Garage Door Notification w/Homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model Y 11/20 and had Tesla install Homelink. It’s not bad, but at times a bit glitchy on opening or closing reliably when it’s supposed to. I’d love to find a way to get a notice if the garage door is left open, or better yet, automate it to double check and close after I’m “away” or at night in case it’s left open.

I called Homelink, but they said only their series 5 Homelink has a two way sensor that might enable this, but had no idea what series or model Tesla sells and installs. They recommended I get MyQ. But then didn’t I just waste $300 on Homelink?

So, now that I have Homelink, what’s the easiest way to get an open garage door notice (or even better, smarthome or in app automation) without scrapping Homelink? Is there an easy add on? Will MyQ work with the Homelink that’s already installed in my car and not disrupt it?

FWIW, I have a Camberlain Liftmaster Professional Formula 1 garage door opener (prob 10 years old).

From reading other threads on this topic, I did just enable a Tesla Alexa skill, but it doesn’t seem to include control of the Homelink function. I also have a Wink smart hub. Is there some way to integrate Homelink in a Smarthome hub or Alexa?

This is probably an easy function to add on generally. But not sure how to go about it with Homelink already installed. Any advice appreciated!

Just installed the Camberlain belt drive unit with MyQ. Very quiet, excellent unit with soft open and close. About $200 on ebay. Does everything you want with Homelink. Bolts right into the existing brackets.
Not cheap ($200) or easy (handyman), but a new belt drive unit with MyQ won’t interfere with my current Homelink set up? Would rather not have to have another tech appt with Tesla to set it back up. But I’m guessing you’re just saying I should have done this instead of Homelink. Unfortunately it’s too late. And $500 all in seems a bit much.

I can't guarantee on your particular opener, but I have a newish (2 years old) Chamberlain that already had the MyQ, and it works independently from the Homelink - so they do not interfere.
Just found the add-on Chanberlain MyQ on Amazon. Glad to hear it won’t interfere with Homelink functioning. Looks like Chamberlain charges a subscription fee to integrate MyQ into any smart home system? Not a deal breaker, I guess. Although it does have pretty terrible reviews on Amazon. But then with the 40% off Amazon prime day deal at $17, worth a try! I’ll order one, thanks!

Last edited:
Yep. Homelink is a dry contact...

For that price you can buy a web connected garage door opener.
My Q app notifies me if I've left the garage open.

The auto open and close feature, which is really neat, doesn't work for crap where I am (lots of emi) and because I back into my spot on the left (the home-link transmits out the front). And until I can put a gps pin on where I want the car to be and can say "pull out of the garage" and have it go there, it is more effort than convenience.

That said, auto home-link worked great when we had a loaner for the car that parks forward on the right, but still doesn't recognize "open" or "closed".