TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Open glove box voice command

Discussion in 'Model X' started by lazrsailor, Jan 4, 2020.

1. lazrsailor

lazrsailor Member

Has anyone on 2019.40.50.x had success opening the glove box using the “Open Glove Box” voice command?

2020 MX LR currently on 2019.40.50.7

2. Willy3988

Willy3988 Member

Works on my Model 3.

• Like x 1
  3. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

• Funny x 4
    • Love x 1
  4. terrywhite

terrywhite Member

Works on Model 3 because Model 3’s glovebox has always been controlled via software/touchscreen. Model S (and probably Model X-I don’t have one) has a physical dumb button. No way to voice control it.

5. kkillebrew

kkillebrew Banned

Correct. Feature not implemented message or something like that.

6. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

For S & X owners, consider the amount of time it takes to press the voice button, wait for it to be ready, say "open glove box", have it process the command, and then finally open the glove box.

Then consider how long it currently takes to just reach over 2' and press the conveniently located open glove box button.

Why would you want a voice activated glovebox? This is one of the small things that makes me not want to buy a Model 3.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  7. Need

Need Active Member

The glovebox thing is really easy to get used to. Just touch the screen twice and it opens...may even be faster than reaching over for the button on the X. For X owner, it is much harder to get used to the driver door doesn't auto present for you! What I have to touch the handle????

8. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

Perhaps. But I forgot to add that (At least in my case, on latest current software) every voice command must be said at least twice, sometimes 3 times before it actually works, so that adds time and frustration also. I have not seen any of the voice improvements that everyone else seems to be getting with the latest software. I don't have any accents or strange speaking style either, just a normal voice.

Trying to show a friend yesterday the new voice commands and he's talking while I'm trying to show them off, so it's picking up his voice, and my voice, and gets confused. I'm not going to tell my passengers to shut up just so I can say "turn on seat heaters". I'd rather just reach down and press the button and get it done.

• Like x 1