Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Letter - MX Disappointments (but I love the car!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issue on my 2019 X that the windshield collected fuzz off the cloths I was using to clean the glass. Ended up using Flitz polish with a very soft cloth to clean the glass. Then used a waffle micro fiber glass cloth that didn't leave the fuzz or lint. Now I feel my glass is sliky smooth to the finger when you run it across the glass. Before it would drag like it had some contaminate on it.

I had the same issue on my 2019 X that the windshield collected fuzz off the cloths I was using to clean the glass. Ended up using Flitz polish with a very soft cloth to clean the glass. Then used a waffle micro fiber glass cloth that didn't leave the fuzz or lint. Now I feel my glass is sliky smooth to the finger when you run it across the glass. Before it would drag like it had some contaminate on it.

Exactly. Before polishing, when I was done cleaning it was like rubbery. If you dropped a clean microfiber on it, it would stop in its tracks. After polishing the cloth would just slide down the glass on its own weight.

This is what I used, he even says in the video it will not remove fine scratches, because it's not that aggressive.
But it will remove the "Tesla Scum".

• Helpful
Reactions: Bob Denny
Probably excellent advice. What polish would you recommend, and could it be done by hand or is an orbital required.

You can do it by hand. It’s just more work. I already had the orbital. I like the Griots Polish and sealer, it’s all I ever tried. Others had suggestions too. And I’ve heard good things about Bonami.

Note that your wipers might be contaminated as well. Clean them good too.

Any product that says removes water stains my guess is will work.

In my case it was definitely not on the surfaces. In the beginning we thought that and tried different "stupid" or not stupid methods to get rid of it. It was possible to see some very tiny small "bubbles" in the glass.
The problem is related to the lamination process. If you don't have the right temperature and pressure when the two glasses are baked with the laminar between this could happen.
When I investigated this type of fault I found that other car brands sometimes had this trouble also. Ford for instance had to take back a number of vehicles and replace the windshields.
Of course you should have a correct car!!

Thanks! I needed to go under my iPhone Bluetooth connection list, find Tesla, hit the "I" icon to the right, and TURN ON NOTIFICATIONS.
Then touch the Bluetooth icon on the Tesla's top left MCU screen, and enable something there too.

Funny how it works on Ford, JLR, Audi, Nissan, GM, Hyundai and a few I'm probably forgetting without changing anything.

I still can't create a new text (it can't understand why a K and C sound alike in English), but I really don't need to.

NEXT: Why doesn't it read it to me? Or am I missing another setting? It wrote the message on the dashboard instead of saying it.
maybe old msg for you, but DON'T hold the voice activation button just press once to speak: "Read Text msg"

Sorry guys I missed the polish recommendation above my question. I think I got distracted, you posted, then I finally posted the one I had started a couple of hours before. I have th Griot GLass Polish coming. Will report back. I definitely have the "microfiber stops in its tracks" issue!! It's hard to clean the glass because of it!

The Slacker/Streaming system (after three software updates) still won't log in with Tesla Account. Well, Slacker no longer exists. It is now LiveXLive, and appears to have no knowledge of any arrangement or integration with Tesla.
That's not accurate - livexlive works just fine with Tesla account, I just logged in to livexlive.com with Tesla's former Slacker credentials and was able to see my library of liked songs from Slacker, change account settings (including setting stream to 320kbps)

That's not accurate - livexlive works just fine with Tesla account, I just logged in to livexlive.com with Tesla's former Slacker credentials and was able to see my library of liked songs from Slacker, change account settings (including setting stream to 320kbps)

Both my Tesla (using the button) and Paid Account work here too.

I have no Tesla credentials. I did go onto LiveXLive, and as an experiment signed up for Plus at $3/mo. I could then log in on my MX sound system. Until I did that it would tell me my LiveXLive credentials were invalid. I still have no library or settings access, or so it seems. Maybe I need to pay even more for Premium to unlock that stuff? PS Pressing the login with Tesla credentials button results in an endless spinning arrow.

Sorry guys I missed the polish recommendation above my question. I think I got distracted, you posted, then I finally posted the one I had started a couple of hours before. I have th Griot GLass Polish coming. Will report back. I definitely have the "microfiber stops in its tracks" issue!! It's hard to clean the glass because of it!
Great results!! Two passes with the Griot Glass Polish (similar to old fashioned Glass Wax) cleared things up well. After all that I can still see a big sucker circle in the center while I am cleaning with Invisible Glass, and the milky translucent look is still there, but no more million bright flecks! Thanks very much!

The Slacker/Streaming system (after three software updates) still won't log in with Tesla Account. Well, Slacker no longer exists. It is now LiveXLive, and appears to have no knowledge of any arrangement or integration with Tesla. Really guys?

I have no Tesla credentials.

First you complain that Slacker "won't log in with Tesla Account", then you say "I have no Tesla credentials" - which is it? I think it would be more appropriate to ask for advise about something you dont know instead of stating that it doesnt work - "Really guys?".

What you need to do is call Tesla and ask for Slacker login credentials for your car, then, login with those credentials at liveXlive.com where you can see your car's library and settings.

First you complain that Slacker "won't log in with Tesla Account", then you say "I have no Tesla credentials" - which is it? I think it would be more appropriate to ask for advice about something you don't know instead of stating that it doesn't work - "Really guys?".
@MasterT WTF? "Won't log in with Tesla Account" means "Won't do anything when I press the Login with Tesla Account" button. Endless spinning arrow. "I have no Tesla Credentials" means "I bought this car a few months ago. They never sent me any Tesla credentials. I don't know about Tesla credentials. The delivery guys never said anything about that (and the sales buys were air-heads). In my PEA BRAIN I thought maybe the car came with Tesla Credentials, like a master secret set of special credentials for Tesla cars. So I press the magic button and it's Tesla-fied."

Thanks to your kind post I now know I have to beg a Tesla Service Center or (???) for my very own Tesla-supplied credentials? $100,000 dollars later, and some snide info, and now I have to go on a hunt to find the secret contact for getting Tesla Credentials. Well... it's a start :-(

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D
Summary of these issues (refer to my OP by right-clicking here and opening in a separate tab):
  1. Almost resolved. The milky translucence is part of the glass but the tiny bright flecks were indeed micro fibers trapped in sludge that Tesla failed to remove at delivery. Two passes of Griot's Glass Polish and a random-action buffer removed it all. I'm OK with the results.
  2. Still routinely annoying, poor design.
  3. Still extremely annoying, I had the Falcon Door open again a couple of days ago at my daughter's with no detectable action on my part except moving around. That double click desperately needs to be modified to reduce random actuation. I don't want to buy a metal shell for my fob. For $100,000, not good. Trunk/Frunk OK. We never have the problem on the fob for the Toyota Highlander's back gate either.
  4. Payment required. I had to buy a Slacker "Plus" account in order to have it accept my login. I have so far failed to get Tesla to give me Slacker (LiveXLive) credentials that give me the features other people talk about). Maybe this is a carryover from the past.
  5. I was wrong about this. Incoming texts alert OK. I had a setting wrong.
  6. Still annoying. If you use the dash cam, there are no front seat USB outlets left (dashcam and cellphone charging cradle).
  7. Still annoying. I have to keep my fob at least 30 feet away from the car.

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus