Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open letter to Model S drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

arondaniel

Il Sessanta Caricato
Sep 20, 2011
Memphis
Please drive carefully and watch out for road debris**. That is all.

** I realize all vehicles are susceptible. Not all vehicles however are receiving the same level of scrutiny.

Last edited:
Please drive carefully and watch out for road debris**. That is all.

** I realize all vehicles are susceptible. Not all vehicles however are receiving the same level of scrutiny.

Open Letter to humans: don't smoke, don't drink and drive, watch your sodium and fat intake, be nice to everyone (even after they screw you over), travel more and work less.....that is not all, but it's all I have time for right now. :rolleyes:

Open Letter to humans: don't smoke, don't drink and drive, watch your sodium and fat intake, be nice to everyone (even after they screw you over), travel more and work less.....that is not all, but it's all I have time for right now. :rolleyes:

:D Open letter to all creatures: leave us alone. Yes, our planet looks incredibly nice from space with all its oceans and clouds, but there are other planets. Call off your invasion forces. For all you know, we may have set up a defense perimeter near the outer planets - you never know.

In case you notice a piece of road debris, don't go along with "whoa, lucky I missed that!". Call the authorities and have it removed.

Great point, I did exactly that around the time I started this thread. Was driving on I64 and narrowly missed a dead buck at 70mph. People were whizzing past that poor animal like it wasn't there. I didn't even see a brake light tap until I was practically on top of it.

The week prior, I saw a hammer explode a white 'vette's right front tire in my rear view. Luckily he made it to the shoulder without crashing into anyone. The hammer was positioned exactly how you wouldn't want to encounter a hammer at 70mph -- resting on the claw with the head pointed downstream.

So, you know, safety first. I don't think it's "wasting everyone's time" to think about safety every now and again...

Open letter to people hauling crap.

Please secure your load properly.

Not to nit-pick, but that should actually be: open letter to drivers with open hatchbacks (or truck beds) on the open road.

But seriously. Buy a bungee cord and some rope, people!!!

Also, pro tip: pack the crap with it already in the "fallen over" position so it can't fall.

Just so someone else may know at the proper time, in California, CALTRANS recommends you call either the CHP or 911 who will direct the call to CALTRANS to remove the road hazard. And they consider it an emergency.

I would expect other states to feel the same.

They did not say you could use your cell phone, but hey, I've got Bluetooth (when it works).

Open Letter to People Writing Open Letters

Thanks for the valuable information and witty remarks. A fun thread, indeed.

I drove (@80mph) an ICE E-class Mercedes over a truck tire left on the road.
Major damage, semi totaled car. I have always wandered: the truck driver
owner of the missing tire...was not he interested in knowing where it went?
Was not he interested it could cause a fatal accident? These people.....
Anyway, not even a Mercedes car is a debris-proof. Accidents happen.

Tesla bashers take advantage of the accidental fires caused by debris.

If you think the design of the Tesla makes it particularly dangerous, you
are free to buy a different brand or model.

To me the Tesla MS is altogether the best car in the world. Up to now.

Note: I have not get my MS 85kW yet,
promised to be delivered late Jan 2013,
...but I am already wearing the T Shirt!

Just so someone else may know at the proper time, in California, CALTRANS recommends you call either the CHP or 911 who will direct the call to CALTRANS to remove the road hazard. And they consider it an emergency.

I would expect other states to feel the same.

In Texas the Department of Public Safety (Texas' DOT) says:

"A toll-free number [hotline] was established in 1989 to get help to motorists whose vehicles are disabled on state and federal roads in Texas. The number, 800-525-5555, is printed on the back of all Texas driver licenses and ID cards, and is for motorists to use when reporting a need for non-emergency assistance." [This means don't even think about calling 911]

"Examples of when a motorist may call the Hotline include:

• stranded with car problems
  • hazardous road conditions
  • debris in the roadway
  • suspicious activity at a rest area
  • obviously intoxicated or dangerous drivers

If a tow truck or other non-towing service is dispatched, the motorist is ultimately responsible for any costs incurred." [Bold is by the DPS, not me]

So if you call, be prepared to pay. Based on this, I doubt many will want to risk having a several hundred dollar bill show up in the mail when they can ignore it and be cost free--even though it's not the right thing to do.