Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open pilot Retrofit pre AP TMS 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys

Im new in the tesla-ev game. and have being searching arround the web trying to find the best/newest solution to my wish about a retrofit AP.
so i would appreciate if you could help about where i can buy a full "kit" to retrofit a openpilot to my pre AP model s :)
i'll also like to add the front radar and IC integrety.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: SmartElectric
Oh boy. Well it may be possible, perhaps, but you need a LOT of retrofit work.

As a starting point, you will need root access on your MCU (hard to come by these days), retrofit the iBooster, radar, wiring harnesses, and probably a host of other ECUs and wiring, plus other hardware.

Also, even if you had root access on your MCU, tesla recently changed their software to have some protected car configurations that are NOT changeable by anyone other than tesla itself. In other words, you cannot enable autopilot unless the car came with autopilot - even if you have root access and retrofit the hardware. A very creative hacker may be able to get around this, but that’s only a maybe.

Unless you have experience with Teslas and know exactly what you’re doing, don’t try. It’s going to be a huge effort that’s unlikely to work. Just trying to be helpful.

Oh boy. Well it may be possible, perhaps, but you need a LOT of retrofit work.

As a starting point, you will need root access on your MCU (hard to come by these days), retrofit the iBooster, radar, wiring harnesses, and probably a host of other ECUs and wiring, plus other hardware.

Also, even if you had root access on your MCU, tesla recently changed their software to have some protected car configurations that are NOT changeable by anyone other than tesla itself. In other words, you cannot enable autopilot unless the car came with autopilot - even if you have root access and retrofit the hardware. A very creative hacker may be able to get around this, but that’s only a maybe.

Unless you have experience with Teslas and know exactly what you’re doing, don’t try. It’s going to be a huge effort that’s unlikely to work. Just trying to be helpful.
Thanks for you input :) ill try i out if i find some who can help me with a kit, cause i saw on youtube that you can get the integraty with out going the tesla rout

As per Tinkla link above

Instrument Cluster​

Tinkla Buddy will allow you to visualize the path and cars on your Tesla's Instrument Cluster. Tinkla Buddy only works with the older MCU1 units. It does not work with MCU2 due to the changes Tesla made in the architecture of the device.

SO full connectivity and visuals on the main screen are only possible if you ket the MCU1. Most people would prefer, at least myself, to upgrade to an MCU2 and forget about the full connectivity of your Openpilot, you can still install other features of it like ACC but only the kind that plays with your REGEN braking and not full braking since you'd need to change your braking system to the electronic boost kind for the full ACC control in the Openpilot. Hence if like me you prefer the MCU2 upgrade with the new screens and best eMMC then you'll have to give up some options in regard to connectivity with Openpilot. I'd think Id install the rest of Openpilot and still have some highway ACC capabilities and be done with that.

That'd be my two cents from what I've gather recently reading around.