Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Open Source DIY Model 3 Console Wrap Template

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Kenriko,
Ordered! Was going to wait for your bundle but couldn’t wait! Really want to support you and your Amazing work and efforts! Thanks Again!
Ski

Yea, in the same boat here.... Desperately tried to wait for the kit, but succumbed to the @Kenriko effect...
Looks like I also cleaned out the last of the current batch of Amazon's CF. <Sorry>

Maybe Ken should explore a subscription model where each month we automatically get the latest Kenriko gifts from the delivery gods?

Thanks Ken for all your work on this front - I expect to be a multiple repeat customer.

Last edited:
image.jpg
Steering wheel accents complete and door sill almost done. Here's a pic of the progress

81A364A5-4C88-4066-A5B4-A77A96621B3B.jpeg
AE89A2EA-6FD9-4918-8EF9-D963E68E7B21.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 110
Don't know how you could do it differently on the steering wheel spokes, but my OCD would drive me crazy with the following: the left spoke has the carbon fiber going from the top-left down to the bottom right. The right spoke has the carbon fiber going from the bottom-left up to the top right. Both Perfect. But now, the lower spoke matches the same bottom-left up to the top right as the right spoke. OCD-ALERT: it shouldn't match the right only spoke, but then again, it can't match the left only spoke. So what do we do? Do you make the lower spoke pattern horizontal left to right? Not criticizing at all, because it looks impeccable, including the cutout for the lit up little arrows. But just wondering what would look the best while keeping it all "symmetrical".

--Cintoman

Don't know how you could do it differently on the steering wheel spokes, but my OCD would drive me crazy with the following: the left spoke has the carbon fiber going from the top-left down to the bottom right. The right spoke has the carbon fiber going from the bottom-left up to the top right. Both Perfect. But now, the lower spoke matches the same bottom-left up to the top right as the right spoke. OCD-ALERT: it shouldn't match the right only spoke, but then again, it can't match the left only spoke. So what do we do? Do you make the lower spoke pattern horizontal left to right? Not criticizing at all, because it looks impeccable, including the cutout for the lit up little arrows. But just wondering what would look the best while keeping it all "symmetrical".

--Cintoman

Haha don’t worry. You would make all three pieces in whatever direction you’d like. I was just optimizing fit for the roll I was working with so I had to work it sideways to fit it on the sheet I was printing.

Reactions: Cintoman
Fairly easy - Kenriko has a really nice long detailed video on how to do it. If you clean it initially, watch the video, and take your time installing (and have a squeegee handy), there's no reason you shouldn't have good results.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I’m 45 minutes in to installing the matte black wrap. Taking a break in an attempt to salvage things.

I ruined the first cup holder piece, and I’m struggling with the backup. I regret buying it. It’s a constant battle with one part sticking while working another portion. The thin strips along the cup holders are the worst part of it. Delicate and prone to stretching. If you enjoy this sort of gymnastics, go for it.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I’m 45 minutes in to installing the matte black wrap. Taking a break in an attempt to salvage things.

I ruined the first cup holder piece, and I’m struggling with the backup. I regret buying it. It’s a constant battle with one part sticking while working another portion. The thin strips along the cup holders are the worst part of it. Delicate and prone to stretching. If you enjoy this sort of gymnastics, go for it.

I finally got the backup cup holder on using the backuo vinyl. Now, I’m supposed to use a razor blade to cut along the rim. After going through this first part, there is no way I’m trusting the video on how easy this is supposed to be without scratching the underlying plastic.

I finally got the backup cup holder on using the backuo vinyl. Now, I’m supposed to use a razor blade to cut along the rim. After going through this first part, there is no way I’m trusting the video on how easy this is supposed to be without scratching the underlying plastic.

To me, it sounds like you might be working in an area that is too hot? this is an activity to perform when calm, collected and not under time constraints. The material gets very stretchy and sticky when the ambient temperature is high or when heat from a hair dryer or heat gun is applied. You absolutely do need to be careful when using the razor blade, if you run it gently (no force needed) along the channel between the plastic and metal you will cut the vinyl and not risk scratching the console but it requires a steady hand.

If you're still unhappy with the results once you get it on send me a PM and I'll issue a refund.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Sorry have to disa
Sorry I have to disagree.. It was fairly easy to put on. I was doing it in my garage in a cool temperature and made sure I didn't have anything else to do so I wouldn't rush it. The video was spot on and it came out great. But it is true you have to be patient. The Razor blade just go slow and it'll only cut the wrap.

Hopefully it'll work out better.

Sorry have to disa

Sorry I have to disagree.. It was fairly easy to put on. I was doing it in my garage in a cool temperature and made sure I didn't have anything else to do so I wouldn't rush it. The video was spot on and it came out great. But it is true you have to be patient. The Razor blade just go slow and it'll only cut the wrap.

Hopefully it'll work out better.

Link to video please

To me, it sounds like you might be working in an area that is too hot? this is an activity to perform when calm, collected and not under time constraints. The material gets very stretchy and sticky when the ambient temperature is high or when heat from a hair dryer or heat gun is applied.

What does “too hot” mean? I was in my garage with temp in the mid 70’s. I don’t know what to do about that when the video says to turn off the AC. And I was calm up until the material started misbehaving. I was about 45 minutes in before the first piece got tangled up on itself. I don’t see that as rushing.

Maybe it’s just me. But overall, I think your process needs a lot of improving. First tip, zoom in on the work area. I don’t need to see the passenger seat. It would have been nice to see exactly where you were lining up the vinyl at different points. I wonder if you are just too familiar with it to appreciate the challenges of somebody with no experience working with sticky vinyl in constrained spaces. How many times you’ve repeated your process? Probably at least 15? How many times have you watched an unskilled person install it their first time?

What does “too hot” mean? I was in my garage with temp in the mid 70’s. I don’t know what to do about that when the video says to turn off the AC. And I was calm up until the material started misbehaving. I was about 45 minutes in before the first piece got tangled up on itself. I don’t see that as rushing.

Maybe it’s just me. But overall, I think your process needs a lot of improving. First tip, zoom in on the work area. I don’t need to see the passenger seat. It would have been nice to see exactly where you were lining up the vinyl at different points. I wonder if you are just too familiar with it to appreciate the challenges of somebody with no experience working with sticky vinyl in constrained spaces. How many times you’ve repeated your process? Probably at least 15? How many times have you watched an unskilled person install it their first time?
If you lack confidence in your ability to install, then maybe consider a professional installer. Matte black will be harder than the textured wraps like brushed aluminum or carbon fiber, but the process is generally pretty straightforward. I'll admit if you've never done it before you need to first understand how 3m 1080 behaves.. You ideally want it around 70 degrees in the car. And the other thing is maybe you should start with carbon fiber because it's the most forgiving of all the materials.

Additionally, remember that kenriko is only offering these options as an alternative for people who don't want he set up themselves. We are Making the vector template files for everyone available for FREE so if you want to improve you can always use a public makerspace or invest in your own equipment and material and do as many rakes as you'd like. Youre the 1% of people who 'cant be pleased' unfortunately and a large reason of why I didn't sell this stuff myself. Kenriko even offered a refund which shows his good faith but quite frankly ymmv and you should consider professional installation so that you're not disappointed with the outcome.

Good feedback. And I don't want you to feel like you're harassed for having a contrary opinion, there are a good number of people who have installed these successfully and no one is "right" here we're just seeing things from a different point of view. I appreciate that just because it's easy for someone else does not mean it'll be easy for everyone. I would like to note that I intentionally did a messy install where I bunched the material in the video that I then corrected so that people would feel comfortable if they did the same. I also made the install video about 45min because that's about how long it'll take for (most people) to complete on their first try. At this point, I've installed well over 100 and watched quite a few first-time installs so yes experience bias is something I need to keep in mind.

Again, if you're still not happy with the product PM me and I'll Paypal you a refund.

Reactions: tracksyde