Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Open Source DIY Model 3 Console Wrap Template

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Matrix black first batch order here. Purchased a ~$25 heat gun off Amazon and finally got to installing the chrome delete yesterday. My only experience with wraps is with the console wrap (Kenrik's Matte Black off Amazon) in June 2018, where I needed the second one for the middle part, so I was happy with spares being part of the kit. Or so I thought until I opened it and found that the window trip was 1 count only :)

I spent around 4.5 hours yesterday, and everything but mirrors is done. I had planned to not do everything on a same day and kept mirrors for a later date, not knowing how much time it everything else will take, so no surprises there. I followed the order of Door Handles, Repeater Camera, and then door trim, so that I will be in the groove by the time I get to door trim and can allow some mess-up with door handles/repeater since they came with spares.

Door Handles - Nothing noteworthy to share, alignment is very important, look at the video again to see how Kenrik does it, can be done without messing it up in the first try itself, just need some time and heat gun usage at the wide-side ends of the handles. Just one thing, looking at the videos I was expecting the material to just get closer to the inside edge of the handle and tug itself to the door handle when applied with heat. I didn't see this happen with the wraps I had. Maybe Matrix black being thicker was the reason, as the videos were with Satin Black. Overall took a little over 1 hour for all four handles.

Repeater Cameras - Contrary to other people, I found the camera repeaters part not to be difficult. If you follow exactly as Kenrik details in his videos, chances are you would get it right in the first try. I started aligning the thinner side part (that pointing towards the door) first from the top, and then went to the wider part (pointing towards the frunk). The material needed constant pulling back to smoothen the wrap to not get the material to bunch up, something similar to the console wraps installation. Overall took less than 30 minutes for both the sides.

Door Trim - I was scared for this given no spares. Not having to use a spare for either the door handles or the repeater cameras gave me some confidence. I first did the passenger side, went OK. Some imperfections around the edges, but one would only notice from near if carefully looking for faults. Then moved to the Driver side. T1 and T2 went good (better than passenger side). However while doing T3 lower trim and dragging the white sheet to get more of the wrap gradually, I had a big tear happen at the V-Triangle part, the upper trim part was still on the white sheet and the lower trip was tearing itself away. I managed to salvage whatever I could, but have slight chrome from the V-triangle corner showing up if someone looks closely. Also I had to push the upper trim part of T3 a bit lower to get some overlap around the tear part to minimize any chrome showing up, and it ended up limiting any wrap around at the upper chrome edge of the upper trim part of T3:

20190903_114143.jpg

At this point I was feeling very sad, and I ended up messing the upper trim also a bit, with some bubbles present:

20190903_114259.jpg

I took a small break at that point, picked myself up again, and managed to finish the Driver T4 trim part with no issues.

Overall (so far without mirrors), I am pretty satisfied with the outcome. Apart from the Driver Trip T3 issues above, I think I got over 95% perfection for the other parts. There are some minor imperfections, but Matrix Black is very good in hiding those. I would definitely re-do Driver T3 if there was a spare, wouldn't re-do any other part. As a certain Mr Murphy would have it, I ended up messing up the only part which did not have a spare :). Of course mirrors still need to be done, but I am hopeful with 3 copies available the final outcome will be all ok.

Some random picture from the side of the install (everything minus the cameras). Photos do not do Matrix black justice, especially my potato picture:

20190903_111345.jpg 20190903_114401.jpg

A big shout out to Kenrik again. An excellent, very well thought after DIY Chrome Delete kit. Its very easy to tell the months of efforts that have gone behind perfecting the shape and sizes of the cut-outs. I have always wanted to get Chrome Delete done after tinting the windows, but did not want to spend $800-$1000 the installers were charging in So-Cal. Once I found out on reddit end of 2018 that Kenrik was working on a Chrome Delete kit also, I knew I had to wait for it, there would be no better option for someone like me with lack of experience and proper setting to do this.

Will provide an update next weekend after doing the mirrors, fingers crossed :)

TL, DR: Satisfied with installation so far (everything done minus the mirrors). Ended up messing the only part with no spares (door trim) :) . Matrix black is very good in hiding imperfections. Kenrik has created an amazing product.

Attachments

• 20190903_114259.jpg
    20190903_114259.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 197
TL, DR: Satisfied with installation so far (everything done minus the mirrors). Ended up messing the only part with no spares (door trim) :) . Matrix black is very good in hiding imperfections. Kenrik has created an amazing product.

We can send you another piece for the Door Trim that was damaged. Not a problem just fill out the 1up form here: www.kenriko.com/pages/1up

For the bubbles try using a pin to release that air, should flatten out and you won't see the pin hole.

We can send you another piece for the Door Trim that was damaged. Not a problem just fill out the 1up form here: www.kenriko.com/pages/1up

For the bubbles try using a pin to release that air, should flatten out and you won't see the pin hole.

Wow. Thanks!! Much appreciated.

Will try the pin method, on theory it should work, since the Matrix pattern should easily hide the hole.

Product and Shipping Update:

We're currently running about 3 days behind schedule getting out the Matrix Black Chrome Delete orders this was due to a delay getting more wood in stock and engraved for the included bonus.

We're targeting end of the week timeframe to get the remaining Matrix Black orders from Batch 3 shipped.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've updated our offering for the Chrome Delete Kit.

We now offer Free Shipping in the US and international shipping has been reduced by $10 across the board. We've also switched to USPS from UPS for orders which has allowed us to reduce the rates further.

Current Chrome Delete Shipping is as follows.

US: Free
Canada: $14
Australia: $44
Europe: $49

Canada rates improved the most with the switch.

New orders placed after 2:00 PM Central on 9/11/2019 won't be including the engraved wood bonus and the number of extra mirror spares has been reduced to one from two.

However, we do offer free replacements if you are not able to get it installed with the included wraps + spares.

It was clear that most people have been able to get the mirrors installed on their first attempt and 3 of each was overkill. This change has allowed us to absorb more shipping costs and we'll still send you extras if needed so it's a Win / Win.

2PM central is the cutoff if you want the engraved wood included for free.

Last edited:
Received my kit today in the Netherlands. Extremely happy with it so far. Packaging is awesome.

What is also important with kenriko switching to usps is that for EU orders import fee’s probably will be lower. UPS has the tendacy to charge costs for no reason whatsoever. I got charged 50$ ontop of the expensive shipping costs. Ohwell guess i am still happy when it’s on the car.

Greetings.

Received my kit today in the Netherlands. Extremely happy with it so far. Packaging is awesome.

What is also important with kenriko switching to usps is that for EU orders import fee’s probably will be lower. UPS has the tendacy to charge costs for no reason whatsoever. I got charged 50$ ontop of the expensive shipping costs. Ohwell guess i am still happy when it’s on the car.

Greetings.

Ouch, I'll look into being more country-specific on which carrier to use. UPS actually cost more to get it there then other options but was faster. :confused:

So the weather was finally cool enough, and I had a free day, so I tackled most of the chrome delete with the matrix set. I think I took about 3 hours to do everything except the mirrors (not including time spent cleaning and with clay bar. Overall, I'm extremely happy with both the look and value that's being delivered. The installation can definitely be a little annoying and/scary the first time for any piece, but the second side goes much much faster.

I need to do some clean up trimming when I didn't align properly or stretched too much on the material, specifically on the cameras and the T3 (the boomerang-like piece on the c pillar).

I want to tackle the mirrors another day and I think that I want to try popping off the mirror assembly (as shown here:
) to make the most difficult parts easier. Between doing this and following Kenriko's instructions for removing the cap, I think that will be the easiest solution for beginners.

My only concern is the popping off of this part seems a little scary and they don't show you how to put it back on.

Thanks, Kenriko for making this set available and so unbelievably affordable.

~Paik

I want to tackle the mirrors another day and I think that I want to try popping off the mirror assembly to make the most difficult parts easier. Between doing this and following Kenriko's instructions for removing the cap, I think that will be the easiest solution for beginners.

That looks super scary to me. I know the mirrors like the back of my hand and it requires a lot of force to pop that out. You are a brave soul.