Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open/unlock car using passenger side handle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DasHHat

Model 3 LR Red (2021 MIC)
Nov 4, 2021
UK NW
2021 model 3 LR. Up to date firmware.
Using phone/Bluetooth as key.

Is there an issue with my car, the settings, or is it normal that I cannot open the passenger side door when the car is locked/parked?

I walk up to the passenger side and find pulling the handle does nothing. I then have to walk around the car, open the driver door, close the door again, and walk back around to open the passenger side.

This is a huge faff for just wanting to grab something off the passenger seat I can see in the window!
I don't really want to stand there with my phone out either to open the app and unlock it.

My previous car allowed any door to be keyless opened when close enough and I didn't realise I did it so often until I now can't!

Likely an update feature, but another thought could be that if you have the phone in a back pocket and on the other side of the car, the signal may be blocked enough to prevent the connection. Likely a stretch, but a possibility to check out by putting the phone in a front pocket.

Upvote 0
2021 model 3 LR. Up to date firmware.
Using phone/Bluetooth as key.

Is there an issue with my car, the settings, or is it normal that I cannot open the passenger side door when the car is locked/parked?

I walk up to the passenger side and find pulling the handle does nothing. I then have to walk around the car, open the driver door, close the door again, and walk back around to open the passenger side.

This is a huge faff for just wanting to grab something off the passenger seat I can see in the window!
I don't really want to stand there with my phone out either to open the app and unlock it.

My previous car allowed any door to be keyless opened when close enough and I didn't realise I did it so often until I now can't!
Weird. Mine opens on either side of the car.

Upvote 0
How up to date? Because a recent version added the ability for the car to act that way-

So if it made that the default changing it might fix your issue.
I remember that setting when I got the car, but it's not there anymore!!

I included pictures and the software version below.

Attachments

• IMG_20211214_220902.jpg
    IMG_20211214_220902.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_20211214_221021.jpg
    IMG_20211214_221021.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_20211214_221113.jpg
    IMG_20211214_221113.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 414
Upvote 0