Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suggest to check this thread:

OVMS - 2G being turned off in US by AT & T

OVMS v3 is moving to Hologram.IO as the default provider, and will be including a Hologram.IO SIM card with every module, as standard. You can use other SIMs, but that will be the default. Note that Hologram.IO supports both AT&T and T-Mobile, so is a pretty seamless transition.

Can we move the AT&T sunset discussions to there.

OVMS Module V1.jpg
Hello....I have been trying for weeks to solve the issue of why my OVMS does not operate...I am hoping I have found the culprit after a lot of digging. In the attached image you can see an orange cable apparently unattached from the underside of the circuit board. It appears that it was attached somewhere before. Can someone indicate where it should be attached?

Thanks,

Jonathan

I'll give it a shot. I see this is OVMS 1 so I pulled out my original and opened it up to take a look. Unfortunately mine is slightly different from yours in that area. Four wires should go to that board from the red OVMS board, not just two. Rx, Tx, +12, ground. On mine the orange is +12 and the brown is ground but they land on an RJ11 connector where yours look soldered to the bottom of the board. You don't have a phone jack (RJ11) on the other side of the board from where the brown wire is soldered? Pretty sure the orange wire should be soldered to the far hole in that group of four that the brown one is soldered to.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
OK here is another photo. The RJ11 is shown here - and all wires are in the RJ11 are accounted for. I agree that logically that is where the orange
20170422_175318_resized.jpg

wire should go but looking carefully at the solder point it does not look as though there has been a wire soldered there before...so I am not completely sure...In any event the module is not working properly so my guess is it goes somewhere...

The two outer most pins on that connector are the +12 and ground. The inner two are Rx and Tx. Also my RJ11 has six pins and two are not used while yours has four pins, at least on the GSM board. There are some pictures of the early boards in the OVMS thread. Sorry but I don't know how to link to that thread from here. That might be helpful. Markwj might be the only one to be able to tell you positively how it should be connected. Good Luck

OK then on that basis your 1st post would appear to be right - the orange should go to the exterior connector - don't know why they did not want to use another RJ11....OK I have now connected and its actually working...just got to configure it now....

I've 'spoken' to Jonathanm via eMail, but document here anyway for posterity.

OVMS v1 had a Y cable arrangement using RJ11 telco connectors. 4 wires (+12v, CAN-H, CAN-L, GND) go to one RJ11 going into the small PIC controller board. 2 wires (+12v, GND) go to the second RJ11 going into the large modem board.

It seems that Jonathanm had his module previously modified by somebody else, to remove the modem board RJ11 plug and directly solder the two wires onto the underside of the RJ11 socket. One came loose.

I have been using the Hologram.io SIM chip successfully for about six months now. But, I cannot get OVMS to respond to SMS messages. I have tried everything I can think of including applying for a different phone number at Hologram.io, every combination of phone number with a "+1", without the "+", and sending the SMS from both my OVMS registered phone and from the Hologram.io site. I know my phone number is correctly registered as the number shows up in the iPad app. And I think that SMS messages are getting to it because otherwise I never would have been able to configure the change-over from an H2O SIM chip to the Hologram.io SIM chip which successfully worked.

If you are using the Hologram.io SIM chip and you are able to successfully receive SMS responses from OVMS, please let me know. I want to be sure I am not beating a dead horse here in that this is something that does not work with the Hologram.io chip. I also welcome any suggestions on getting it operational. Thank you.

John

I have been using the Hologram.io SIM chip successfully for about six months now. But, I cannot get OVMS to respond to SMS messages. I have tried everything I can think of including applying for a different phone number at Hologram.io, every combination of phone number with a "+1", without the "+", and sending the SMS from both my OVMS registered phone and from the Hologram.io site. I know my phone number is correctly registered as the number shows up in the iPad app. And I think that SMS messages are getting to it because otherwise I never would have been able to configure the change-over from an H2O SIM chip to the Hologram.io SIM chip which successfully worked.

If you are using the Hologram.io SIM chip and you are able to successfully receive SMS responses from OVMS, please let me know. I want to be sure I am not beating a dead horse here in that this is something that does not work with the Hologram.io chip. I also welcome any suggestions on getting it operational. Thank you.

John

I had the same problem and asked Hologram support for help. Here's what they suggested, which did end up working although it's a bit slow. Just remember that you'll be sourcing the messages from +447937405250 instead of your actual cell phone number, so you'll need to update your registered number within OVMS to match.
I do see the messages get switched properly over the network and sent from the device however due to our SIMs non-geographic phone numbers some SMS is not routed appropriate on the Verizon side. I'd like to try setting up an SMS forward to see if this resolves the issue:

Register our Hologram Cloud internal SMS phone number (+447937405250) as the receipient of the text instead of your personal Verizon number.
From the Hologram Dashboard, click 'Routes' on the side nav
Add a new SMS Route
Enter _SMS_DO_ as the topic
Enter your personal Verizon phone number with country code as recipient phone
Try sending SMS to our Hologram Cloud SMS number (+447937405250) from the device
SMS should appear in your device data log and forward to your Verizon phone #

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
It's alive!

More information on the OVMS developer's list, but just a short note to say we're building 'release candidate' OVMS v3 boards this week. 16MB flash with OTA update capability, Micro SD card slot, 3x CAN buses, external and internal expansion, USB, wifi, bluetooth, optional 3G or 4G GSM modem module, etc. Really hoping we turn this into the #1 vehicle CAN bus hacking tool - it certainly has the power and capability.

Firmware porting is in progress.
OVMSv3.png

I had the same problem and asked Hologram support for help. Here's what they suggested, which did end up working although it's a bit slow. Just remember that you'll be sourcing the messages from +447937405250 instead of your actual cell phone number, so you'll need to update your registered number within OVMS to match.
I do see the messages get switched properly over the network and sent from the device however due to our SIMs non-geographic phone numbers some SMS is not routed appropriate on the Verizon side. I'd like to try setting up an SMS forward to see if this resolves the issue:

Register our Hologram Cloud internal SMS phone number (+447937405250) as the receipient of the text instead of your personal Verizon number.
From the Hologram Dashboard, click 'Routes' on the side nav
Add a new SMS Route
Enter _SMS_DO_ as the topic
Enter your personal Verizon phone number with country code as recipient phone
Try sending SMS to our Hologram Cloud SMS number (+447937405250) from the device
SMS should appear in your device data log and forward to your Verizon phone #
This above helped me get it partially working. I can now send SMS to the OVMS box from SMS function on the Hologram.io "Dashboard" and the reply SMS gets delivered to my smartphone as being from the telephone number I configured in the Hologram.io Dashboard.

But, I cannot get it to work in sending an SMS from my smartphone to the phone number configured through Hologram.io, having it delivered to the OVMS box, and getting a response. When I send an SMS to either the phone number I configured through Hologram.io Dashboard, or to the Hologram Cloud SMS number (+447937405250) , I get no response at all and there is no indication that the SMS ever reached the OVMS box (or Hologram.io for that matter.

Does yours work in being able to send an SMS from your smartphone to the OVMS box and if so, did you need to do any additional configuration in the Hologram.io Dashboard? Thanks!

This above helped me get it partially working. I can now send SMS to the OVMS box from SMS function on the Hologram.io "Dashboard" and the reply SMS gets delivered to my smartphone as being from the telephone number I configured in the Hologram.io Dashboard.

But, I cannot get it to work in sending an SMS from my smartphone to the phone number configured through Hologram.io, having it delivered to the OVMS box, and getting a response. When I send an SMS to either the phone number I configured through Hologram.io Dashboard, or to the Hologram Cloud SMS number (+447937405250) , I get no response at all and there is no indication that the SMS ever reached the OVMS box (or Hologram.io for that matter.

Does yours work in being able to send an SMS from your smartphone to the OVMS box and if so, did you need to do any additional configuration in the Hologram.io Dashboard? Thanks!

I don't believe I ever got that scenario working. I was really only concerned with using the dashboard for sending SMSs for configuration, since I never really found any good use for them during daily operation of the car. I've since sold the car, so I can't really dig any deeper...