Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mark,
Are coupon codes still available for V2 owners when buying V3?
Ok, anyway.......... I go to Fastech, buy V3 hardware, ...... do I need anything else? I have my V2 SIM card from Hologram so that will work right? ...... or does V3 it work differently somehow? Flat “stick on window antenna” work OK?

V2 is/was great ...... with hologram it is still worked for APP info on iPad although Texting stopped working recently so I guess it’s time to upgrade.

Thanks for all your work!

Are coupon codes still available for V2 owners when buying V3?

Sorry, but no. Those expired some time ago.

Ok, anyway.......... I go to Fastech, buy V3 hardware, ...... do I need anything else? I have my V2 SIM card from Hologram so that will work right? ...... or does V3 it work differently somehow? Flat “stick on window antenna” work OK?

If you already have v2 in the car, you just need to swap the module. The v3 bundles come with a hologram SIM, or you can use your existing one.

You might want to pickup one of the new Tesla Roadster DIAG cables at the same time. Those break out all 3 CAN buses, as well as K-Line (the old cables just did one CAN bus). No use today, but we are working on adding support for the other two buses.

To give you some idea of where we are heading with this, here are some displays from the new generalised BMS monitor.

These displays are from a Tesla Model S, with OVMS v3. Working hard on adding this to roadster, using the new 3-bus DIAG cable.

image1.jpeg

image1.jpeg PastedGraphic-3.png image1.jpeg

Today, we are pleased to release v3.2.0-1 to Early Access Program (EAP) participants. This is the first public v3.2 version, and introduces an entirely new scripting framework based on an embedded javascript engine. Now, custom javascript modules and functions can be written to respond to system events. In addition, a host of other UI changes enhancements have been made.

A summary of the major changes is here:

Code:
2019-01-19 MWJ  3.2.001  OTA release
- v3.2 first public release
- New JavaScript modular framework allowing for dynamic scripting and object model
- New vehicle: Smart ED (adaption by Martin Graml )
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV re-write for OVMS v3
- Web UI: text / script editor
- Web UI: user plugin support (pages & hooks)
- Web UI: night mode by URI parameter, e.g. "…/#/dashboard?nm=1"
- Web UI: dashboard accessible w/o login
- Web UI: added config backup & restore tool
- Web UI: file selector added for firmware flashing from SD
- Web UI: text notifications (info/error/alert) displayed as dialogs
- Twizy web UI: drivemode buttons secured & added to dashboard
- Twizy web UI: added file dialog for virtual dyno recording
- Twizy: SEVCON monitoring & recording
  New commands:
   xrt mon start []
   xrt mon stop
   xrt mon reset
  New metrics:
   xrt.i.* = operational inverter data
   xrt.s.* = power & torque by speed (virtual dyno)
- Twizy: experimental powermap calculation including region 3 / breakdown torque
  New config:
   xrt [motor_trq_breakdown] = 0     Breakdown torque in Nm, e.g. 210.375
   xrt [motor_rpm_rated] = 0         Rated speed in rpm, e.g. 2100
  See docs/Renault-Twizy/Twizy-Powermap-Calculator-Tbrk.ods for details.
- Add inactivity watchdog timers to CAN buses
- NissanLeaf: Fix for 0% SOH on 30KWh models with Nissan BMS update
- Introduction of support for DBC CAN bus configuration files

For full detail on all changes, check the GitHub revision history.

The v3 modules can be updated over the air (wifi), via SD CARD, or over USB - all without requiring special hardware programmers like the PICKIT used for v2. The simplest way to update the module firmware is to connect it as a client to your wifi network (or phone hotspot), and then use the web interface Config / Firmware / Flash-from-Web; that will show you the version you are running, as well as the latest version available for update. One click on 'Flash now' and the update will be downloaded and installed. Alternatively, you can download the firmware update to a file named ovms3.bin in the root directory of a FAT formatted SD CARD and insert the card into the module's slot - the new firmware will be updated automatically and the file renamed ovms3.done to signify completion.

This firmware also includes the feature to check for and automatically update to newly available firmware, every night (so long as the vehicle is connected to WiFi). After updating to 3.1.005 or later, you can enable this for future firmware releases with 'config ota auto yes'. You can choose the release level by setting 'config ota tag edge|eap|main', as one of:
  • edge: Bleeding edge developer nightly-builds
  • eap: Early Access Program (full releases, but with little public testing)
  • main: Publicly tested full releases (the most stable)

We expect to release the 3.2.001 firmware to 'main' (all users) after EAP testing (most likely within a week or so).

Thank you to all the open source developers who have contributed to this, and previous, releases, and thank you for your support of the project.
Open Vehicles

Reactions: dhrivnak
Where do I go to type in commands such as "config ota auto yes"?

For the Android App, you can choose the Messages tab, and talk to the car there.

The iOS App has just had a big update, and that is in open beta testing now. General App Store release will come after beta testing completes. That new iOS App (for both iPhones and iPads) includes a messaging tab. If you want to try the new App, and help with beta testing, it is available under testflight now:

DyuWDdOUYAAXk0d.jpg:large

Reactions: ICON
I'm having some trouble with OVMS 3 and hoping I can get some advice. It wasn't communicating so I took it out of my Roadster and plugged it into my PC via USB cable. I tried to check the settings via the web interface by typing in http://192.168.4.1 but it times out without connecting. I don't have cell coverage at my house although I have a GSM antenna attached. I have no idea what firmware version it's running. What should I try next?

Hi Hcsharp,

Mark warns in the instructions about being sure your PC USB port has enough power to run the OVMS3...
He recommends a powered hub...
In case it reset to factory or worse, have you looked for the SSID: OVMS ?
That was one of the earlier steps to connect to it...

There is also the dreaded "reset to factory" button in there if you remove the cover...
Then you would access the device by the SSID: OVMS..............................

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi Hcsharp,

Mark warns in the instructions about being sure your PC USB port has enough power to run the OVMS3...
He recommends a powered hub...
In case it reset to factory or worse, have you looked for the SSID: OVMS ?
That was one of the earlier steps to connect to it...

There is also the dreaded "reset to factory" button in there if you remove the cover...
Then you would access the device by the SSID: OVMS..............................

Good luck,

Shawn
It's getting power on the USB port. The device SSID does not show up. Which button inside is the reset btn? There's 3 buttons inside the case.

A couple of issues with OVMS3. It is working fine overall.

On two occasions several weeks apart I went into my car and started to back out of the garage. The garage door closed unexpectedly. Fortunately I heard the door closing before backing up so it didn't close on the car backing out. This never happened with the previous versions of OVMS. Any ideas as to what is going on and how to solve it?

I received several messages over the last couple of months that my car might be on a flatbed being carried off somewhere while it was sitting comfortably in my garage at work. Then no problem for some time--and it just happened again.

In the prior version of OVMS there was a feature where one could set the car to be finished charging at a certain time. Very useful if one is planning a long trip and wants a range charge done by a certain time. Is that feature going to be restored? Currently I have the car set to charge at a set time for a standard charge and that works fine most of the time for my daily travels about town. I just doesn't work great if planning a trip.

Ciao!

Timothy

Hi Hcsharp,

The documentation does not show the reset to factory switch...
If I had to make an educated guess, I would choose the switch labeled "S1" which is alone at the
top of the board near the antenna connections.
The other two switches are not labeled at the bottom corner of the board.

Good Luck,

Shawn

I'm having some trouble with OVMS 3 and hoping I can get some advice. It wasn't communicating so I took it out of my Roadster and plugged it into my PC via USB cable. I tried to check the settings via the web interface by typing in http://192.168.4.1 but it times out without connecting. I don't have cell coverage at my house although I have a GSM antenna attached. I have no idea what firmware version it's running. What should I try next?

Probably easiest to connect directly over USB (serial console) to see what is going on. Instructions here:

The OVMS Console — Open Vehicles documentation

Regarding the random alerts about the car being flatbedded, I've gotten several of these over the past about 2 months. That's a new behavior, as I only had one or two of them in the entire prior history of the OVMSv3. Given that it's a new thing, and that part of the software hasn't changed (Mark, right?), I'm guessing it's an alignment thing with the GPS satellite fleet causing a bit more drift, triggering the alert. Or, perhaps the Gov't is experimenting with that selective availability thing again. Anyway, it's a topic among the OVMS developers on what to do.

The GPS data, by the way, comes from the Roadster, not the OVMSv3 itself.