Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Order a Hologram SIM chip for OVMS: IoT SIM Card – Global Cellular M2M Connectivity You will spend maybe $5/month on data, much cheaper than would be a Verizon SIM chip even if you could use one. I have the "Maker Edition Flexible Data" plan and replenish the account with $20 every few months.
How does the billing work? do I get a charge on my Verizon account or is through Global Cellular? I would guess I would only need the standard chip. Guess I need to do more research, thanks for the wisdom.............

I jumped into ordering the OVMS system without reading this entire thread. It was after I downloaded the install instructions while I wait for it to arrive did I find out it doesn't function with my cell phone carrier "Verizon". I checked with Mark in Hong Kong and he suggested user's here in the States would be more helpful. I am not looking to change carriers as Verizon has given me the best service here in AZ and almost the rest of the country. For what little I would use the system it just doesn't make sense. I don't drive my Roadster everyday, I thought it would be nice to have have the features it offered. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Can you clarify what the problem is with Verizon? Why would you need to change carriers for your phone? Verizon phones work great with OVMS. JohnGarziglia is correct that a Verizon SIM card would cost WAY more than the Hologram. Lots of us are using Verizon phones with OVMS.

What Henry said.

The OVMS comes with a SIM for Hologram, and it goes on whatever network Hologram uses. Which one doesn't matter. That cell connection gives the module access to the Internet and to the OVMS server, where your car's data get cached. The OVMS module can also connect to your home WiFi, if it's within range. Independently, your cell phone can access that database through the OVMS app, but how it connects to the Internet - cell or WiFi, doesn't matter. The two link up in the proverbial "cloud".

The charges for the Hologram account can be really low. Most of the time the car sits in the garage, and it connects to our home WiFi network from there. During that time, the cell network is not used, and not billed. A few times a year I get a notice to refill the account, and toss it $5 or $10.

Can you clarify what the problem is with Verizon? Why would you need to change carriers for your phone? Verizon phones work great with OVMS. JohnGarziglia is correct that a Verizon SIM card would cost WAY more than the Hologram. Lots of us are using Verizon phones with OVMS.

Verizon network isn't GSM, which is what the OVMS modem needs. I use my Verizon network phone to connect, but have a Hologram SIM in the OVMS

How does the billing work? do I get a charge on my Verizon account or is through Global Cellular? I would guess I would only need the standard chip. Guess I need to do more research, thanks for the wisdom.............
There is no "billing". You give Hologram your credit card number for a specified charge, $20 is a good amount to start off with, and then it simply uses that amount to charge against.

When you run through the advanced $20, the data turns off (Hologram will notify you), or you authorize another $20 or whatever. Hologram also has an option to automatically put in an additional specified amount when the previous amount runs low. At first I did not use that automatic option because I did not entirely trust them, but now I have it on automatic replenish (sort of like what happens with my EZ-Pass road toll account).

If your car sits in the garage a lot, OVMS may very well use as little as $2 worth of the Hologram data per month meaning $20 will go a long way. I think there is a 60 cents or something monthly charge for the use of the SIM card but that is far lower than any SIM card you could get from one of the wireless carriers.

Also, as an aside, I noted that I was using far more data in the past two months -- I think that is attributable to me playing around with the 12 volt battery graph data in OVMS. My guess is that my repeated downloading of 12 volt historical data in OVMS does burn through more data. On the Hologram site, once an account is established, you will be able to see precisely how much data is being used by the day.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
I think everyone here has addressed my problem. It all deals with GSM & CDMA (which is all over my head). The OVMS needs a GSM which Verizon is not, it is a CDMA. I guess the module comes with a Hologram sim card so I should be okay, fingers crossed, if not then I will be asking for a lot help.

I was looking at my receipt for the Module I ordered through FastTech and what I guess I ordered was: OVMS v3 Kit w/ SIM5360 3G Modem Module (US Edition). Now the question is what is a Sim5360? Is this a Hologram sim card? What I need to do is hire a young child to get me up to speed as my 78 year brain can not handle all this jargon.

Hi Car3nut,

The SIM5360 3G modem is the modem that is on the OVMS3 module...
Like everyone said - you need to create a Hologram account for the SIM.
The SIM card is inside of the SIM5360 3G modem.
At one point there was a $5 credit for new accounts.
It is fairly easy once you get it set up...

I am like you in that I have a Verizon phone and use the Hologram SIM for the OVMS3.
It works great...

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi Car3nut,

The SIM5360 3G modem is the modem that is on the OVMS3 module...
Like everyone said - you need to create a Hologram account for the SIM.
The SIM card is inside of the SIM5360 3G modem.
At one point there was a $5 credit for new accounts.
It is fairly easy once you get it set up...

I am like you in that I have a Verizon phone and use the Hologram SIM for the OVMS3.
It works great...

Good luck,

Shawn
Shawn thanks for the words of encouragement. I have found over the past ten years every car I have bought I always got on the Forum for that car and it always saved me with the knowledge everyone has to help people like me who enjoys cars but have a bit of a challenge when it comes to the mechanics or electronics.
Thanks to everyone, this is I know will not be the last time I will have questions, (dumb ones for me), to tap into everyone's knowledge.

@markwj / @slcasner I occasionally receive the following error msg:

"Vehicle is being transported while parked - possible theft/flatbed (@[GPS coords here])"

While I appreciate the push notification, the car is completely stationary each time so I'm curious what might be causing this.

Yeah, GPS drift. The car GPS is sometimes not that accurate and drifts when the car is parked. You can tune the alert sensitivity with:

Code:
config set vehicle flatbed.alarmdistance 500

The default value 500metres may be too sensitive for some. Perhaps set it to 1000, or 2000, if you are getting false alarms.

I was looking at my receipt for the Module I ordered through FastTech and what I guess I ordered was: OVMS v3 Kit w/ SIM5360 3G Modem Module (US Edition). Now the question is what is a Sim5360? Is this a Hologram sim card? What I need to do is hire a young child to get me up to speed as my 78 year brain can not handle all this jargon.

The SIM5360 is the 3G GSM modem that comes with the US kit. It will also come with a hologram sim card pre-installed.

Once you get the kit, just follow the instructions to set it up on your desk back at home (plugged into a USB charger/laptop). Just be carefully to follow each step carefully, in order. Lots of accounts and lots of passwords (apologies; but this is a community product not a commercial service).

Andrew Till recently published a great introductory video for OVMS v3, that you can find here:

• Helpful
Yeah, GPS drift. The car GPS is sometimes not that accurate and drifts when the car is parked. You can tune the alert sensitivity with:

Code:
config set vehicle flatbed.alarmdistance 500

The default value 500metres may be too sensitive for some. Perhaps set it to 1000, or 2000, if you are getting false alarms.
Interestingly, though perhaps coincidentally, I've not gotten one of these since upgrading the GPS puck's software last December, to fix the week roll-over issue... It may be too soon to tell, but I wonder if the new software is better at maintaining a steady position report.

@markwj / @slcasner I occasionally receive the following error msg:

"Vehicle is being transported while parked - possible theft/flatbed (@[GPS coords here])"

While I appreciate the push notification, the car is completely stationary each time so I'm curious what might be causing this.
I used to get this error. Best I can tell, it was the connection to the GPS sensor where the GPS would stop working, even momentarily. Through the OVMS messages, I was able to see that when I wiggled the wires going to the GPS connector that the GPS was disconnecting and connecting. See this post: Caution - Annual Service - Car power-down - GPS issue. As it turned out, it was not the connector itself but one of the wires leading into the connector. Despite what I say in this post above, I ended up just cutting out the connector, getting out my soldering pencil and heat-shrink tubing, and eliminating the connector with a permanent connection.

The SIM5360 is the 3G GSM modem that comes with the US kit. It will also come with a hologram sim card pre-installed.

Once you get the kit, just follow the instructions to set it up on your desk back at home (plugged into a USB charger/laptop). Just be carefully to follow each step carefully, in order. Lots of accounts and lots of passwords (apologies; but this is a community product not a commercial service).

Andrew Till recently published a great introductory video for OVMS v3, that you can find here:

Mark,
Thanks for the video, once I get the unit I will be sure to watch it first, probably several times, the unit still is showing in China, but shipped. Just a waiting game at this point.
Andy

@CAR3NUT for the amount you drive, most likely you won't spend a dime on data for the Hologram SIM chip for OVMS. I've had mine for several months and have not gone above the 1M monthly data plan...although, I did hit 925Kb last month with ~7 days @ >100kB each...similar thing this month so far ~514Kb with 3 days >100kB each...

• Informative