Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the wifi status? It sounds like perhaps you haven't set the wifi to autostart in client (+ap?) mode.

I would suggest:
  1. Go through the config screens, and make sure everything is set correctly
  2. Pay particular attention to the 'auto start' settings that tell the system what to start on boot
  3. Check the firmware is up to date

Does anyone know where you can still get an OVMSv3 module with GSM? I am based in Australia, but FastTech seems to be sold out...

Go to www.openvehicles.com and use the Contact Us link to get in touch. I can provide directly.

P.S. Not sure if you need EU or US frequencies? Worth checking with your cellular provider. The last one I saw in AU used a EU frequency modem and seemed to work fine.

This seems like it should be simple, but I can't figure out how to see current error messages through OVMS. I have some errors that are intermittent and it would be helpful if I could check error status without going to the car to see them. I've searched around and haven't been able to figure out how to do this.

@rudholm, I have notifications enabled. I see error messages as notifications.

777C8F2F-4F8A-4627-BE11-47601E7FCBD7.png

Last edited:
I get those, too, but how do you know when an error goes away? Is there a way to poll the car to see which errors would be displayed, if any, when you press the exclamation point icon on the VDS?

OVMS can't currently do that. We just notify the alert when the message is raised. We don't keep track of which messages are current, and there is no known way to poll the car for that info.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
OVMS can't currently do that. We just notify the alert when the message is raised. We don't keep track of which messages are current, and there is no known way to poll the car for that info.

OK, good to know that I'm not just overlooking this functionality at least.

The reason I ask is because my car is throwing a Battery Sheet Error, which, when active, makes the car un-driveable. But sometimes the error goes away. I'd like to know when the error goes away so I can charge the car or move it. The only way I have to tell is to remove the car cover and look at the FAULT indicator on the console. Being able to see the current error status remotely would be more convenient.

OVMS firmware v3.2.014 has been released. Along with a bunch of small updates, the big enhancement here are upgrades to our WiFi stack to be able to support automatic joining of any available WiFi network, even while running an Access Point on the OVMS module. The module will now also automatically scan available access points, and choose the one with the strongest signal. A huge thanks to Michael Balzer for getting this difficult enhancement done.

Code:
2020-08-04 MWJ  3.2.014  OTA release
- Renault Twizy: support VirtualBMS & eDriver BMS (3 cell temperature sensors)
- Wifi: scanning apclient mode, network selection dialog in wizard & wifi config,
    scan support in all modes, fixed network selection by signal strength
    (possibly also fixes issue #387)
  New/updated commands:
    wifi scan           -- can now be issued in any mode
    wifi scan -j        -- output scan result as JSON object (for web UI)
    wifi reconnect      -- request a client reconnect cycle
    wifi mode apclient  -- now accepts empty stassid & optional stabssid
- #377 Make some metrics (e.g. v.b.soc) persistent across warm reboots
  This includes crashes and firmware updates
- Tesla Roadster support for Baolong TPMS
- Tesla Model S support for Baolong TPMS
- General stability improvements related to watchdog and task timeouts

Firmware 3.2.014 has been released | Open Vehicles

Hello,
Problem.... my OVMS3 only works for about 3-4 days at a time then it shuts off. If I disconnect the diag port from the car And plug it in again, it reboots and appears to work fine...for about three days then shuts off again. Anybody know how to fix it?

Are you connecting to OVMS via WiFi, and is WiFi reception marginal in your parking place? I've had the experience that the WiFi gets into a failure mode that prevents it from automatically recovering, so a reboot is needed. My solution was to add a new WiFi access point in my garage to provide solid connectivity.

Some major rework of the WiFi code was done recently, so if the firmware in your OVMS has not been updated in a while, that might help.

Reactions: drewski
Hello,
Problem.... my OVMS3 only works for about 3-4 days at a time then it shuts off. If I disconnect the diag port from the car And plug it in again, it reboots and appears to work fine...for about three days then shuts off again. Anybody know how to fix it?

What does 'shuts off' mean? Not connected to the server, or not reachable locally (via USB or wifi access point)?

Send the output of 'module summary' to me, and I'll have a look. Or raise a support ticket at openvehicles.com.

Ok just got module summary from “messages” screen so I’ll try what to do next.
Shuts off means it looses WiFi and I can’t contact it thru app

@Botbldr45 Did you get it working again?
I have the same issue.
Mine "shuts off" within 1 day after setting everything up.
I tried a couple of times.
I updated to the latest firmware.

Edit: Extra info: The name I give my OVMS device changes back to OVMS within 1 day after setting everything up.

Edit: Extra info: The name I give my OVMS device changes back to OVMS within 1 day after setting everything up.

Sounds like your config store is corrupt. I suggest you factory reset and set it up clean (you can backup the config first, then restore after factory reset, to save time).

You can test the config store by changing a config, rebooting the module, and seeing if that change stuck. If you reboot, and config is lost, then you need to recreate the config store (aka factory reset).

Reactions: Logticom