Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The command I gave is for the latest (current) 3.3 firmware. If you are running older firmware, it is probably ‘simcom’.
Mark…Thanks much for all you do to clarify and support! I now have OVMS coverage on WiFi at home and by cellular away. Still running older software as my provider will support 3g for sometime yet. Will update in due course.
It seems the solution to getting both working and switching was to use the shell command ”power simcom on” and wait a very long time for the modem to activate. Prior to this I was trying to turn the modem on in the dashboard configuration page and this had no affect activating the modem while connected to Wi-Fi. The “module summary and sitcom stat“ commands were a big help as well diagnosing the problem as I had to re-enter credentials for the modem to connect. Putting all this out there in case anyone else is having issues.

Nice to have this 24/7 OVMS coverage and only incur cellular costs while away from home!!

Reactions: markwj
I think my OVMS is having trouble connecting to WiFi because I have a Wireless Extender and so it looks to OVMS that there are two networks with the same SSID. It connects at friend's houses just fine, and if I unplug the wireless extender it also works fine - but I need the extender to reach into other areas (don't want to spend the money on a mesh network just yet).

Is this a know issue or something I could work around? I notice the SCAN function returns two networks with the same SSID but different MAC addresses. Is there a way for force OVMS to choose a specific MAC address, for instance?

I think my OVMS is having trouble connecting to WiFi because I have a Wireless Extender and so it looks to OVMS that there are two networks with the same SSID. It connects at friend's houses just fine, and if I unplug the wireless extender it also works fine - but I need the extender to reach into other areas (don't want to spend the money on a mesh network just yet).

Is this a know issue or something I could work around? I notice the SCAN function returns two networks with the same SSID but different MAC addresses. Is there a way for force OVMS to choose a specific MAC address, for instance?
By default, it will pick the MAC with the strongest signal. You can control this, and see here for details:

Reactions: smorgasbord
OK, I'll try the MAC address specification thing.

At this location, the Extender's network has the stronger signal. So I'm guessing that somehow OVMS is not able to use that, even though other devices are using it. I may have to force it to the main router's (weaker) signal.

I have one OVMS which now works beautifully, including the location at home turning the cell modem off and on when entering/leaving the home location.

I have another OVMS module which is giving me nothing but trouble, including the local website interface being unresponsive.
I did notice that I am getting the following errors. Did I maybe get a defective hardware unit? Anything I can do to fix?

Last boot was 49532 second(s) ago Time at boot: 2022-11-16 23:15:43 PST This is reset #2 since last power cycle Detected boot reason: Crash (12/12) Reset reason: Task watchdog (6) Crash counters: 2 total, 0 early Last crash: abort() was called on core 0 Backtrace: 0x4008ddca 0x4008e065 0x400e88b8 0x40084176 WDT tasks: IDLE1 Version: 3.3.002/ota_0/main (build idf v3.3.4-848-g1ff5e24b1b Mar 7 2022 07:33:16) Hardware: OVMS WIFI BLE BT cores=2 rev=ESP32/3; MODEM SIM7600

Hardware: OVMS WIFI BLE BT cores=2 rev=ESP32/3; MODEM SIM7600 Firmware: 3.3.002/ota_0/main (build idf v3.3.4-848-g1ff5e24b1b Mar 7 2022 07:33:16) Running partition: ota_0 Boot partition: ota_0 Factory image: 3.3.001-33-g58d01654 OTA_O image: 3.3.002

Can someone tell me how I can reset my OVMS... it is stuck on this screen.

1690420861814.png

Looks like ovms hasn't been communicating with the server for 25 days...can you log into it locally at the car? If ovms is not responding try rebooting to start.

If the app on your phone is hung, have you tried closing it out and restaring it?

Thanks for replying.

What do you mean log into it locally? The VDS (screen in the car) operates normally. What/how do I reboot?

I have closed the app multiple times with no success.

This screen is frozen except that the days continue to add up.
If you see the days increasing it sounds like the app is not the problem.
The easiest way to reboot the ovms is to unplug the power and plug it back in