Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now seem to get 12v in all cases. Previously, the OVMS would die the second I pulled the key from the ignition, regardless of any other systems running. I'll try a factory reset next weekend and see if that fixes the persistence issue.

I now seem to get 12v in all cases. Previously, the OVMS would die the second I pulled the key from the ignition, regardless of any other systems running. I'll try a factory reset next weekend and see if that fixes the persistence issue.
What do you have for event scripts? Specifically, are there any that trigger with vehicle.off? That will fire when you turn the car off (state 1 to 2 in Mark's list). Perhaps it's what is causing the trouble?

If you're running an OBDII display, typically you'd put 'power ext12v on' in the file /store/events/vehicle.on/myevent, and 'power ext12v off' in the file /store/events/vehicle.off/myevent. That will simulate the usual ICE behavior for an Accessory outlet.

Hi Mark,

I have received and installed the new wiring harness.
I have not soldered the wire into place for the K-line.
I have a mini-SD card in the OVMS.
I am still on the 3.1.008 Firmware.

Will I be able to start monitoring the CAN buses with the current firmware?

Thank You,

Shawn

Both v2 and v3 share the same backend server and apps. The api.openvehicles.com server is up and running ok at the moment, and no issues reported recently.

Most like some GSM issue affecting you. First thing to check is hologram balance. Make sure you have at least US$10 on the account.

Yup, money in the hologram account. It just stopped sending data on Aug 20th.

Yes for me, the hologram account was disabled after one month or when it reached a certain amount of data....
It really wasn't clear which but it disabled the SIM. There was money in the account.
I tried using the dahsboard to re-enable it but I'm not sure if it's me or an email to support I send that re-enabled it.
The second time around, I changed the data limit and made it larger and that seemed to work.

Yes for me, the hologram account was disabled after one month or when it reached a certain amount of data....
It really wasn't clear which but it disabled the SIM. There was money in the account.
I tried using the dahsboard to re-enable it but I'm not sure if it's me or an email to support I send that re-enabled it.
The second time around, I changed the data limit and made it larger and that seemed to work.
Did the dashboard say it was disabled? Mine says live.

A question: I had my Roadster into the SC and service took far longer than I expected. The SC predictably disconnected the OVMS v3 module and it sat disconnected for a lengthy time period. When I got my Roadster back and plugged the OVMS v3 back in, it did not work. Now that I have pulled it from the car, i see that it lost all of its configurations and I am starting fresh. So how long can the OVMS v3 module sit without power to it before it loses its configuration? Just curious for future circumstances like this (which I hope rarely happen). Thanks.

EDIT: I just got my answer which is my OVMS v3 module loses its configuration the moment I unplug it from the power source I was using. Is there a battery inside that can be replaced, or is there something else I can do to remedy this?

Last edited:
A question: I had my Roadster into the SC and service took far longer than I expected. The SC predictably disconnected the OVMS v3 module and it sat disconnected for a lengthy time period. When I got my Roadster back and plugged the OVMS v3 back in, it did not work. Now that I have pulled it from the car, i see that it lost all of its configurations and I am starting fresh. So how long can the OVMS v3 module sit without power to it before it loses its configuration? Just curious for future circumstances like this (which I hope rarely happen). Thanks.

EDIT: I just got my answer which is my OVMS v3 module loses its configuration the moment I unplug it from the power source I was using. Is there a battery inside that can be replaced, or is there something else I can do to remedy this?

Corrupted install, same thing was happening to me. Had to remove the case and hold a button for a full rectory reset, then went through the setup procedure again. Been working fine ever since. Reset procedure can be found in the online user guide.

• Helpful
Reactions: markwj
Corrupted install, same thing was happening to me. Had to remove the case and hold a button for a full rectory reset, then went through the setup procedure again. Been working fine ever since. Reset procedure can be found in the online user guide.

Yep. The config is stored on flash and should be permanent. If that is not working, then there is something wrong with the flash partition. Easiest is to factory reset (which reformats the config flash partition). After doing that, I suggest setting the config, then rebooting, to make sure it retains it.

Will do the factory reset. Thank you for the quick replies -- so much appreciated.

Will the factory reset also erase the downloads of the newest firmware so that I again start with the first factory installed version, or will the updated firmware remain? Just trying to anticipate what I will need to do. Thanks!

Is there an FAQ or how-to guide for roadsters? I haven’t read through 33 pages in this thread and I haven’t searched for other OVMS threads. I’m hoping for a quik start guide or YouTube video. I’ve got a model S , and I would love to be able to check up on the roadster with an app. The model S has spoiled me. Thanks for any pointers.

Will the factory reset also erase the downloads of the newest firmware so that I again start with the first factory installed version, or will the updated firmware remain? Just trying to anticipate what I will need to do. Thanks!

Nope. Factory reset just clears the config. Firmware is not changed.

If you want to switch to factory firmware as well, you can 'ota boot factory'.

Is there an FAQ or how-to guide for roadsters? I haven’t read through 33 pages in this thread and I haven’t searched for other OVMS threads. I’m hoping for a quik start guide or YouTube video. I’ve got a model S , and I would love to be able to check up on the roadster with an app. The model S has spoiled me. Thanks for any pointers.

The user guide has full installation and setup instructions:

OVMS v3 User Guide

You can skip to the "Tesla Roadster" section for details on installation in that car.