Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi There,
First of all absolutely LOVE ovms -- even now my OVMS V2 has many functions like charge amp control which even tesla app doesn't have - KUDOS !
Q: I'd like to revert back to seeing amps on the dash display (as there is a 2nd speedo as part of the central radio)
BUT (probably my stupidity or memory of original settings) , In the app, when I change the feature 'digital speedo' for this setting from 1 back to 0 it doesn't go back from mph to amps.

Can anyone suggest a definitive method for OVMS v2 to change mph back to amps ?

Thanks
Mark, Dorset UK
(OVMS for 6+ years and lovin' it)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210714-121108.png
    Screenshot_20210714-121108.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Q: I'd like to revert back to seeing amps on the dash display (as there is a 2nd speedo as part of the central radio)
BUT (probably my stupidity or memory of original settings) , In the app, when I change the feature 'digital speedo' for this setting from 1 back to 0 it doesn't go back from mph to amps.

Can anyone suggest a definitive method for OVMS v2 to change mph back to amps ?

What you have done should work. Perhaps you need to reboot the module after the change?

Reactions: Mark77a
I need help. Slcasner tried for a couple hours to get my OVMS set up while we were at the modified Tesla thing up in SLO about a month ago, but could not figure it out. I'm a mechanical engineer, so this is way out of my realm. We were able to get the hologram, but it has no data and it seems to blink that it has not connected for 34 days... been saying that since we hooked it up.

Is anyone anywhere near Santa Barbara that can help me out... there would be a nice lunch or dinner in it for you? Or, I would be willing to drive about 150 miles (that would be about my range) to meet you... but, then I'd have to stay for a while , while it charges.

Thanks,

Henry

p.s. I have not read through this whole thread... sorry.

When the car is plugged in, but not charging, if I slide the "Slide to begin charging" thing on the icon of the charging connector on the Battery page in OVMS, it doesn't start charging, it just goes into the "Charging -- Prepare" state (according to the "stat" command) but never actually charges. The car won't even charge when its scheduled charging time comes around. The only way to get the car to charge after it is in this state is to close the charging port door and re-open it, that clears the condition and you can start charging normally (but not through OVMS).
After several code iterations with testing help from @rudholm and another tester, I believe this problem is fixed and the fix is now committed to the master branch so it will be in the next firmware release. Moving the slider on the charge connector icon to start charging when the car is asleep should successfully wake up the car and start charging whether the car was waiting for a scheduled start time or after charging was stopped by request or after a previous charge has finished.

After several code iterations with testing help from @rudholm and another tester, I believe this problem is fixed and the fix is now committed to the master branch so it will be in the next firmware release. Moving the slider on the charge connector icon to start charging when the car is asleep should successfully wake up the car and start charging whether the car was waiting for a scheduled start time or after charging was stopped by request or after a previous charge has finished.
Thanks for your work on this project. Next time you're in LA, your drinks are on me.

As a new owner gathering experience with the OVMS charge control, I'm assuming the daily top up algorithm is buried in the logic somewhere. Can anyone tell me if it is easily modified. I am pleased with how well it works but have to wonder if I should be concerned with the daily wear and tear on the hardware and contactor switching it imposes.

Vampire creep seems to amount to losses of 1% daily so I am curious to know if it's possible to modify the charge control to top up every other day or on a larger drop in state of charge.

As a new owner gathering experience with the OVMS charge control, I'm assuming the daily top up algorithm is buried in the logic somewhere. Can anyone tell me if it is easily modified. I am pleased with how well it works but have to wonder if I should be concerned with the daily wear and tear on the hardware and contactor switching it imposes.

Vampire creep seems to amount to losses of 1% daily so I am curious to know if it's possible to modify the charge control to top up every other day or on a larger drop in state of charge.

The charge control you talk of is the car's, not OVMS.

In standard mode, when plugged in, the car will top itself off every day. It will also balance the battery pack (which, imho, is not a bad thing and more than offsets the negatives or excessive contactor wear and keeping battery at a higher SOC).

There is also 'storage' mode, where the car will allow the charge to drop to a relatively low SOC before charging back up. But that is more risky in the event of charger failure.

At 1% a day, in the event of a fault, you have several weeks before the car hits zero SOC. If you use a relatively low SOC limit (like with storage mode), you better keep an eye on it.

It is possible to script OVMS to (a) put the car in storage mode, (b) top-up charge when the SOC reaches a predefined limit, and (c) alert if the SOC falls below a predefined limit.

Personally, I always preferred to drive the car, and enjoy it, rather than leaving it in the garage idle for days/weeks watching the vampire drain.

The kWh calculation done and reported by OVMS does not appear to be too accurate. Is there a configuration setting available to improve the accuracy of this reported value? For example a ten minute charge at 240V 12A reports anywhere between 1 and 20kWh
Also, when I query the BMS status it reports no status available, when I do a BMS alert query it reports the battery cell deviation for Voltage and Temp dev is 0 and the cells are OK. Can I rely on the BMS alert report as being accurate, valid and reliable??

The kWh calculation done and reported by OVMS does not appear to be too accurate. Is there a configuration setting available to improve the accuracy of this reported value? For example a ten minute charge at 240V 12A reports anywhere between 1 and 20kWh
Please say more specifically what report you observed. Are you talking about the notification sent when a charge begins giving an estimate of charge completion? Or the notification sent when charging ends? Or some other display of the charge energy?

Please say more specifically what report you observed. Are you talking about the notification sent when a charge begins giving an estimate of charge completion? Or the notification sent when charging ends? Or some other display of the charge energy?
Yes...the message sent on start of charging gives a peculiar charged value which I don't understand and then the message on charge completion gives another value which seems to me should be about 0.5 kWh for a ten minute charge but displays a value many times that amount. It looks like the integration is fine for long charges but short ones maybe generate something more random??

The notification at the start of charging is a prediction of the amount of time and energy required for the change to complete. If you are manually stopping the charge after 10 minutes, then of course the prediction is irrelevant. But if the charge completes normally after 10 minutes because the battery was nearly full already (e.g., charged 24 hours ago and not driven in the interim), then I'm not surprised that the prediction is not very accurate. I've done some analysis of the charge time predictor and it's quite difficult to accurately predict when the charge will start ramping down or exactly how fast it will go. Among other variables, it depends upon temperature and whether active cooling will be required.

For a long charge starting at a low SOC most of the time will go at the rate determined by the input voltage and current, so that adds energy to the battery at a nice constant rate.

Thanks! Makes sense didn't realize the first message was a predictor.

My other question relates to trying to get an idea of battery health remotely via a shell ovms query. The documentation mentions the BMS and v+t display is not supported but the command line interpreter provides a BMS query. Like I mentioned BMS alerts gives me a result that seems meaningful but BMS status says nothing is available so I'm a bit confused.

Yes...the message sent on start of charging gives a peculiar charged value which I don't understand and then the message on charge completion gives another value which seems to me should be about 0.5 kWh for a ten minute charge but displays a value many times that amount. It looks like the integration is fine for long charges but short ones maybe generate something more random??
I have the same experience with the end of charging notification indicating a strange value for kWh when the amount is very low. For example, Last night the car charged for 3 minutes at a low rate (I hadn't driven it since the previous day). It started and stopped on its own as expected. The charge completion notification said 12 kWh. It should have been less than 0.5 kWh.

I can't tell you how often it does this because I don't very often pay attention to this number but I know it's more accurate after a more substantial charge. It's getting a little chilly here at night but I don't think it was cold enough last night to activate the battery heater. Even if it did, it wouldn't have consumed 12kWh. The pack heating is usually separate from the charge session in any case, but I don't know if it gets counted in the total reported in the message.

That fits my recent observation. The car has been in my garage for a while and the reported energy increased steadily towards 30kWh until I drove it today. The increase when parked was somewhat less than 1kWh per day. When I parked it again it reported 0kWh on start of the charge and 3kWh after charging half an hour at about 230V*24A.

My other question relates to trying to get an idea of battery health remotely via a shell ovms query. The documentation mentions the BMS and v+t display is not supported but the command line interpreter provides a BMS query. Like I mentioned BMS alerts gives me a result that seems meaningful but BMS status says nothing is available so I'm a bit confused.

We don't have support for that yet, but are working on it. The roadster system is a little strange, with multiple temperature sensors distributed around the sheet, and differences between 1.x and 2.x cars; not the 1 temperature 1 brick the V+T system in OVMS expects, so it needs some work to support.

• Love
Reactions: drewski