Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't have support for that yet, but are working on it. The roadster system is a little strange, with multiple temperature sensors distributed around the sheet, and differences between 1.x and 2.x cars; not the 1 temperature 1 brick the V+T system in OVMS expects, so it needs some work to support.
Thanks Mark! I appreciate all your hard work!

Since the rollover to 5g and the discontinuation of 3g this week, I have noticed intermittent connectivity with my OVMS app. Do I need to upgrade my Hologram Sim card? I believe the current one is 3g. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Since the rollover to 5g and the discontinuation of 3g this week, I have noticed intermittent connectivity with my OVMS app. Do I need to upgrade my Hologram Sim card? I believe the current one is 3g. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
I do not believe the SIM determines 3G or 4G (please correct me if I am incorrect). I believe it's the modem in the OVMS module. I would suggest contacting Carl Medlock (@CM_007) to see if he has any in stock. I have purchased one from Fastech in China and it's on the way to me (probably stuck somewhere in customs at LAX). I looked at the module and it doesn't look like it's rocket science to change it out. Once I get mine, I will probably do a quick "how-to" on swapping the modems.

I do not believe the SIM determines 3G or 4G (please correct me if I am incorrect). I believe it's the modem in the OVMS module. I would suggest contacting Carl Medlock (@CM_007) to see if he has any in stock. I have purchased one from Fastech in China and it's on the way to me (probably stuck somewhere in customs at LAX). I looked at the module and it doesn't look like it's rocket science to change it out. Once I get mine, I will probably do a quick "how-to" on swapping the modems.
IMO the OVMS is the single best upgrade there is for Tesla Roadsters. It not only works but provides peace of mind. Brilliant! Thank You MWJ. '
We have 20 4g modems in stock and 20 OVMS that are the latest version with 4g. https://medlockandsons.com/product/ovms-v3/ Our prices are a little higher than Fast tech due to past tariffs we paid on these. We are tuning up the language on the site today. We appreciate your business.

Hologram currently uses T-mobile and AT&T Networks in USA, and the modem in your OVMS is a 3G modem. The SIM card shouldn't be an issue. As 3G is turned off on the networks, you may experience more connectivity problems, depending on reachability of 3G networks. You can upgrade just the modem component in your OVMS module to the new 4G modem (SIM7600G based), and keep the same SIM card. Carl Medlock has stock in USA.

Once I get mine, I will probably do a quick "how-to" on swapping the modems.
That would be helpful. You should be able to re-use the old SIM card, and just swap the modem. Take care with orientation (white triangle on modem board and main board should align), and be careful not to bend the pins. You will also need to get the v3.3 firmware on your OVMS module (as the old v3.2 firmware doesn't support the new 4G modem).

Hi @markwj ,

Is the firmware past the 3.2.018/ota_1/main (build idf v3.3.4-848-g1....................... available?
Or is the listed firmware good for a 4G modem?

Thank You, Shawn
For support of the 4G modem option you will need 3.3.001 or later. You can get it at this URL:

http://api.openvehicles.com/firmware/ota/v3.3/main/ovms3.bin

It is pre-installed on all new v3.3 kits, but if upgrading a v3.2 system you will need to manually install it (as that v3.3 version has not yet been released past 'edge' testing for the v3.2 users).

I got the 4G modem from Fastech after about three and a half weeks (two and one half weeks in customs).

1 4G modem from Fastech 1.jpeg 2 4G modem from Fastech.jpeg 3 4G modem bottom from fastech.jpeg

Before starting installation, note the IMEI on the 4G chip to update the cell provider. Here's the tools I used.

1 Tools needed.jpeg

Connect to your OVMS module via your browser or through the app and update the firmware to the latest version (3.3). This is required to support the 4G modem. Reboot the module once it's done. Remove the OVMS module from your car.

4 OVMS 3_1.jpeg 4_1 OVMS Connectors.jpeg

Open the module by removing the four screws from the bottom and take the OVMS boards out of the module case.

5 Open OVMS.jpeg 6 OVMS Removed from case.jpeg

I have the K-line option so there is an additional board to remove prior to accessing the modem.

Note and carefully disconnect the GPS and GSM antenna connectors from the 3G modem board using a non-metallic tool. The connectors pull straight up. I used a plastic spunger.

Note the position of the white corner of the 3G modem in relation to the white triangle on the main board. Turn main board over and remove the four screws from the bottom of the main board that hold the 3G modem board to the main board and carefully lift the 3G modem from the main board. Mine was tight and it took a little extra wiggle to get it to come off.

8 3G modem with K-line off.jpeg 7 Back with K-line Jumper.jpeg

on to part 2, . . .

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: markwj and Peter.h
Part 2, OVMS 4 G Install, . . .

Here's a photo of the OVMS main board, the 3G modem, and the 4G modem.

9 OVMS with 3G and 4G modem.jpeg

Attach the 4G modem board noting the orientation of both the connector pins and the white corner (it lines up with the white triangle on the main board). Be careful not to bend any pins and make sure all the pins seat in the sockets on the main board.

10 OVMS with 4G modem installed.jpeg 11 4G modem installed.jpeg

Install the four screws that hold the modem to the main board. Do not over tighten.

Reconnect the antenna wires noting the GPS connects to ANT1 and the GSM connects to ANT2.

12 4G 7600 antenna connections.jpeg

Remove the SIM card from the 3G modem and install it on the 4G modem. Note the slide instructions on the silver SIM card holder to unlock/lock the SIM card.

13 4G Modem with SIM.jpeg

Re-attach the K-line board (if you have that option). Note the white corner needs to line up with the main board white triangle.

14 4G modem with K-line .jpeg

Re-install the OVMS boards back in the case and re-install in your car. Connect to your OVMS module via your browser or app to verify operation. I connected to it over cellular on the app and did a STAT from the Messages tab.

We have 20 4g modems in stock and 20 OVMS that are the latest version with 4g. OVMS - Open Vehicle Monitoring System - Medlock & Sons Our prices are a little higher than Fast tech due to past tariffs we paid on these. We are tuning up the language on the site today. We appreciate your business.
But I don't see an option on that page for purchasing just a 4G modem. Are you just reporting here that you have 20 "OVMS with 4G modem" or do you have 20 separate 4G modems in addition? I want to buy one.

Thank you Nybob for the excellent directions. I had to figure mine out myself as there's no documentation with board. The only challenge I experienced is that the new board does not have an ANT3 post, but rather a ANT2 post in a different location. Once I figured that out everything went smoothly. I got my 4G from CM in 3 days! I am using the Hologram Sim Card. So to whom do I provide the new IMEI number? Also, Markwj says the board comes with an interim 3.3.4 firmware which is what mine shows on the iPhone app. I think mine is working properly in that the app works when I'm out of range of my wi-fi. I don't have any cellular service for anything at my house so I can't trouble shoot at home.

Reactions: markwj
No, since there was no reply to my question, I ordered two from FastTech. They reached LA in a few days but I don't know how long they will take to clear customs and be delivered to me.
I'm not sure what you're saying no to. After you made your initial post, the Medlock web store was updated and I ordered the 4G modem only for $85 and it showed one unit remaining. Now it says Available for Backorder. His stock is local and separate from FastTech.

I'm not sure what you're saying no to. After you made your initial post, the Medlock web store was updated and I ordered the 4G modem only for $85 and it showed one unit remaining. Now it says Available for Backorder. His stock is local and separate from FastTech.
Sorry, I misread your post, hence my answer that did not make sense. I did look back at the Medlock web store a few times and did not see a change, so I ordered directly from FastTech.

Any ideas on debugging the 4G modem? It seems to be forever in a "NetWait" or "NetHold" state and doesn't connect to the provider. I've tried the Hologram SIM and a Google Fi data only SIM.

What I did:
  • First I swapped the modems and SIMs without reading this thread so I was on v3.2.018. Here I saw on the web console that it connected with Google Fi, but didn't connect to the OVMS server.
  • I had a hard time flashing v3.3.001
    • i downloaded the file to SD and used the autoflashing process.
    • It didn't reboot to the new version and when I tried to change the boot partition and reboot, but the firmware didn't pass the CRC or whatever check is done
    • I tried flashing via web just it just hung for a few minutes and then errored out.
  • Took off the K-line & modem boards, in case they were causing issues with the firmware update. Still had the same issues installing via SD or web.
  • Came back a few hours later and the update via web worked!! Not sure what the difference was.
  • Re-assembled and now it powers up, but doesn't connect.
  • I've attached some screenshots of the web console via my phone
When I re-assembled, I accidentally had it powered up without having the external antenna attached. Could that have messed something up? I think I read that was a no-no.

I've also noticed that it's inconsistent about reading the SIM ID - this was also the case when I was running v3.2.018

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-130541.png
    Screenshot_20220226-130541.png
    265.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20220226-132026.png
    Screenshot_20220226-132026.png
    296.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20220227-063543.png
    Screenshot_20220227-063543.png
    346.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20220227-064906.png
    Screenshot_20220227-064906.png