Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paging @markwj ...

We have a guy on Speak EV who said he has cracked the issue with the Volt/Ampera of issuing commands to the CAN bus to remote start the heating etc.

At the moment he is using a Bluetooth OBD-II dongle and old android phone to achieve this. I suggested integrating his work into OVMS but he says the hardware doesn't support a function needed to wake the car up. Perhaps this can be added to V 3?

See OVMS/Onstar alternative MyVoltStar

I'd really like to get this integrated if possible, as I don't want yet another app and device and cellular account in the car.

Paging @markwj ...

We have a guy on Speak EV who said he has cracked the issue with the Volt/Ampera of issuing commands to the CAN bus to remote start the heating etc.

Really not enough information to know what he is doing. Some smart people have looked at the CAN bus and not managed to find the messages, but most of those are in Europe without OnStar, so not so easy. Those with OnStar already have little incentive.

It would be much simpler if this guy (and others) would just publish what he found (as we do).

Also, the guy says that his solution specifically needs this OBD-II dongle to access the relevant bus OBDLink® MX Bluetooth

MX Bluetooth supports all legislated OBD-II protocols, plus advanced Ford & GM vehicle networks (MS-CAN and SW-CAN).

I do recall people saying that the Volt/Ampera had multiple CAN buses and they suspected that we were not on the right ones when trying to track down these Onstar commands. This is probably the reason. So if we want to make OVMS do this, then we need to ensure the hardware has that functionality.

Also, the guy says that his solution specifically needs this OBD-II dongle to access the relevant bus OBDLink® MX Bluetooth

I do recall people saying that the Volt/Ampera had multiple CAN buses and they suspected that we were not on the right ones when trying to track down these Onstar commands. This is probably the reason. So if we want to make OVMS do this, then we need to ensure the hardware has that functionality.

Hi everyone. I love the idea of OVMS it would be nice to see it fully replace onstar oneday. I've stated before in the other forums OVMS does not have the compatible hardware. I have looked into OVMS over a year ago before I started my own app development with OBDLink MX hardware. Only way OVMS will ever work is if you get a Single Wire CAN hardware transceiver (TH8056KDC) connected at 33.33 kbps on pin 1 of OBD2 port. You need to be able to switch from HSCAN to SWCAN/GMLAN and vica versa in software to get everything you want done on the bus. You need access to both buses HSCAN and SWCAN/GMLAN preferably both accessible at the same time within OVMS. OVMS needs to be able to send and receive 11bit and 29bit GMLAN messages. The OBDLink cannot receive/talk to both buses at the same time but it can switch what bus it is on and select 11bit or 29bit for TX with a simple command. It can receive both 11bit and 29bit GMLAN messages at the same time. Here is a link to making a compatible bluetooth adapter with the same STN chip as the OBDLink MX STN1170 Bluetooth OBDII Adapter | AH Design Hope this helps point everyone in the right direction. Happy hacking.

• Informative
Reactions: markwj and dpeilow
Darn. An hour later and no connection, no response. No usage on the hologram dashboard. I've tried texting it multiple times from the dashboard. Last I checked, it was blinking error code 6 for no connection.

Nevermind, I just received a bunch of text messages from the OVMS all at once, right after I opened my garage door for a few minutes. It looks like it can connect when the garage door is open, but the signal is not strong enough to stay connected when the door is closed. Not sure why, the garage is wood framed, wood siding. Guess the T-mobile network is not great in my area.

Anyway, seems to be working as well as it is going to work now.

Random thought for anyone that wants to try it. If you have Google Fi, you can get up to 10 extra data-only sim cards for free. They are on the T-mobile network. Data is billed at a flat $10 / GB, so adding the OVMS would be essentially free. But, there is no SMS support. I have an extra sim, but haven't tried it yet.

We are working hard on OVMS v3. The development environment for the microcontroller we chose for v3 has finally stabilised to a point where we can rely on it. There will be a new revision of hardware silicon around the end of 2017Q1 and we'll most likely try to time the first production releases of OVMS v3 to use that as soon as it is available.
@markwj, any update/ETA on v3.x?

@markwj, any update/ETA on v3.x?

The design is final, and we are at the PCB layout stage. First prototypes should be built next week. After that is done, and all components verified to work together, we'll build a batch for developers. So, hoping for v3 hardware finalised this month (May). Then, we have the firmware porting, which is a month or two. These are best guesses, assuming no major issues.

• Informative
Reactions: dsm363 and Roadster
Nevermind, I just received a bunch of text messages from the OVMS all at once, right after I opened my garage door for a few minutes. It looks like it can connect when the garage door is open, but the signal is not strong enough to stay connected when the door is closed. Not sure why, the garage is wood framed, wood siding. Guess the T-mobile network is not great in my area.

Anyway, seems to be working as well as it is going to work now.

Random thought for anyone that wants to try it. If you have Google Fi, you can get up to 10 extra data-only sim cards for free. They are on the T-mobile network. Data is billed at a flat $10 / GB, so adding the OVMS would be essentially free. But, there is no SMS support. I have an extra sim, but haven't tried it yet.

I appear to be stuck at the same point with the Hologram SIM installed, 6 green blinks, and no response to "GPRS hologram" from my previous linked phone or from the Hologram web interface. I was fighting to get PICKit 2 programmer going on a Windows 10 machine to flash the OVMS, but it sounds like I just need to go for a drive.

Anyone have luck interfacing with a PIC Kit 3.5 going on Windows 10? I don't have an XP machine around per OVMS Firmware Update Guide Tried disabling driver signing but no dice. Figured I'd flash it while I have it out of the car, but might leave it alone before I screw it up.