Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so I'm mostly up and running on Hologram. App is working. However, none of the ACC commands are working (nothing gets populated in Params #16-19, and no SMS response). I know the OVMS is getting the commands as the IP confirmation comes up on my phone.
Any ideas? I'm running 2.6.5. Should I update to 2.8.5?

Can anyone give me some pointers as to what I should do to my V2 before passing it on to someone else? As in removing my personal info? Anything? Thx
You can also clear out the most important personal information via SMS or with the smartphone apps.

If you are set up to send text messages to your device, there are four interesting commands that set personal information: PASS, MODULE, SERVER and ACC (firmware 2.5.1 or later). See appendix A in the OVMS Roadster User Guide.

PASS <module_password>
MODULE <ovms_vehicle_id> M SMSIP TR
SERVER 54.197.255.127 <ovms-vehicle-password> -

I'd recommend setting the device password back to the default, OVMS, and clearing the vehicle id, server id and server password.

PASS OVMS
MODULE - M SMSIP TR
SERVER - - -

If you have firmware 2.5.1 or later and have ever set any ACC settings, I'd clear them as they store location information. To do that, send this command.

ACC CLEAR

If you have logging enabled, it possible there's a stored drive or charge record with location information waiting to be sent. That pretty unlikely since if you have a cell connection for texting, you probably also have cellular data and thus shouldn't have any stored record. I'm not sure if there's a good way to check or clear that information. For that, I suggest the smartphone app.

If you have a smartphone app connected to your device, you can use the Parameters screen to reset the module password. Set FEATURE 14 to 0 to clear drive and charge logging (or to 1 if you're passing it to a Roadster v1.5 owner). I believe PARAMETER values 20-23 hold any stored drive or charge records in an encoded format. PARAMETER values 16-19 store any ACC location information.

You can also clear the vehicle ID and server password, but as soon as either of those is messed up, your access to the smartphone app will end. Those are better cleared with text messages.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
The design is final, and we are at the PCB layout stage. First prototypes should be built next week. After that is done, and all components verified to work together, we'll build a batch for developers. So, hoping for v3 hardware finalised this month (May). Then, we have the firmware porting, which is a month or two. These are best guesses, assuming no major issues.
How's it coming along? Thanks.

upload_2017-9-20_9-39-57.png

The first batch of 10 developer modules (and modems, and 3D printed cases) are on the way to me. China->HK SF-Express is pretty amazing, so I should get them tomorrow morning.

We’ve identified 10 worthy developers, helping out with documentation, base firmware, and porting of vehicle support modules. These modules will go to them. Many thanks to all the sponsors who have helped make this happen.

In other news, I’ve started work on the documentation. Mostly a placeholder at the moment, but we’ll expand on it over the next few days so at least the developers getting these modules should have *some* documentation to get them started. V3 documentation is in Google Docs, and the following links will allow you to view and comment:

Regards, Mark

upload_2017-9-20_9-40-19.png

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and strider
Some images of the first batch of 10 going to developers. The case shown is pre-production 3D printed (production version will be black colour, injection moulded, but built from the same 3D design files). Board layout should be final (although these pre-production ones are hand soldered, and the production version will be machine soldered in quantity).

The plan now is to get these out to developers and then wait a month to ensure that no issues come up and to let the firmware get to a stage where it can do what we need. Baring any major issues, we should be good to go for a full production run late October.
IMG_4494.jpg
IMG_4489.jpg
IMG_4488.jpg
IMG_4483.jpg

Mark
What do we do with our current models ?
Eric

Should continue to work so long as 2G is up. I'll continue to support for quite some time.

If you mean recycle/reuse, I am not sure what to suggest. We have local agents here who handle it, but I suspect that It would pollute more to send it back across the ocean to here. Any recyclers near you?

Some images of the first batch of 10 going to developers. The case shown is pre-production 3D printed (production version will be black colour, injection moulded, but built from the same 3D design files). Board layout should be final (although these pre-production ones are hand soldered, and the production version will be machine soldered in quantity).

The plan now is to get these out to developers and then wait a month to ensure that no issues come up and to let the firmware get to a stage where it can do what we need. Baring any major issues, we should be good to go for a full production run late October.
View attachment 249035 View attachment 249036 View attachment 249037 View attachment 249038

Congrats! Excited! I just left a small suggestion on the Owner Manual. I will keep checking that to offer user perspective.

Just reporting another happy Hologram customer. Using various posts here (before discovering Tom's as-usual great write-up) I got the SIM programmed fairly easily. Since cell signal is very spotty out on our island, it is great to have the auto-roaming capability. I will also now be able to travel in the US and not incur roaming charges using OVMS.

I went the route of buying a phone number and using my iPhone to configure and confirm all my other settings via SMS, spending about $4 of Hologram charges in the process (big whoop). Now I have SMS responses successfully disabled with the CarBits field, using the app Control page to set the value to "6".

I am starting with the Developer plan, which is totally free (after buying the SIM) for the first 1 MB and then C$0.85 for each MB after that. Given Tom's analysis, I doubt I will exceed 2MB/month, even when I am driving a lot, so $0.85/month is a pretty great deal! I was spending $10/month+tax with a Rogers Wireless add-on plan. I can now cancel that line.

In the process of getting this all done, I discovered another problem that was preventing contact with the car. During one of the recent server relocations, apparently my server password was dropped from openvehicles.org. I went into my registration on the web site and poking around discovered the empty password field. Thankfully, it had not caused a huge data overcharge (none at all) during these months I was getting around to solving the whole thing. Maybe others here have had that problem without realizing it...

During one of the recent server relocations, apparently my server password was dropped from openvehicles.org.

I'd like to follow up on this. We haven't changed the database server since the project began, so this shouldn't have been able to happen. Can you PM/eMail me your vehicleid, and I'll follow up by checking the audit trail.

I'd like to follow up on this. We haven't changed the database server since the project began, so this shouldn't have been able to happen. Can you PM/eMail me your vehicleid, and I'll follow up by checking the audit trail.

For the benefit of others here, @markwj and I discussed this offline, and it seems that my "missing password" was a red herring on my part. So my various issues with connectivity were probably caused by my old provider, and are thankfully all cured with the Hologram SIM!

Reactions: markwj
A late followup to a post from long ago:
I've updated my OVMS web API Perl script to extract the odometer and CAC from the server records.

To use it, download the zip archive, open up ovms.pl, fill in your OVMS account username, password and vehicle identifier, then run the script as "ovms.pl s" to download and display the server records. At the end, it will dump out the latest odometer and CAC readings so you don't have to read through the records.

I got the script working on my machine by installing the Perl JSON module.

For the benefit of others, to do this I ran “sudo cpan install JSON” and chose the “local::lib” method:
% sudo cpan install JSON

CPAN.pm requires configuration, but most of it can be done automatically.
If you answer 'no' below, you will enter an interactive dialog for each
configuration option instead.

Would you like to configure as much as possible automatically? [yes]
Use of uninitialized value $what in concatenation (.) or string at /System/Library/Perl/5.18/App/Cpan.pm line 553, <STDIN> line 1.

Warning: You do not have write permission for Perl library directories.

To install modules, you need to configure a local Perl library directory or
escalate your privileges. CPAN can help you by bootstrapping the local::lib
module or by configuring itself to use 'sudo' (if available). You may also
resolve this problem manually if you need to customize your setup.

What approach do you want? (Choose 'local::lib', 'sudo' or 'manual')
[local::lib]

Would you like me to automatically choose some CPAN mirror
sites for you? (This means connecting to the Internet) [yes]
Attempting to create directory /Users/cheshire/perl5
/usr/bin/make install -- OK

After cranking away for a few minutes, it completed with a reassuring “OK” message.

I then added “setenv PERL5LIB /Users/cheshire/perl5/lib/perl5/” to my .cshrc file.

The script now works, but I don’t see any odometer and CAC info.
% ./ovms.pl s
LOGIN succeeded

Charge Status:

Charge State: done
Charge Mode: storage
Ambient Temperature: 15C, 59F
Battery Temperature: 16C, 61F
PEM Temperature: 31C, 88F
Motor Temperature: 18C, 64F
Line Voltage: -1V
Charge Current: 0 of 70A
SOC: 13%, 21 IM

Vehicle History:

Server Logs:

02/11/2018-12:54:58 707 p XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX apns production <VehicleID> <OVMS-Server-Password> 126a1...
02/11/2018-12:55:20 748 Broken pipe
02/13/2018-10:05:23 47686 p XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX apns production <VehicleID> <OVMS-Server-Password> 126a1...
02/13/2018-10:08:23 48147 A
02/13/2018-10:09:31 48351 Broken pipe
02/13/2018-10:11:13 48625 Broken pipe
02/13/2018-10:16:10 49425 A
02/13/2018-10:19:10 49915 A
02/13/2018-10:22:10 50406 A
02/13/2018-10:22:55 50539 Broken pipe
02/13/2018-10:46:48 54244 p XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX apns production <VehicleID> <OVMS-Server-Password> 126a1...
02/13/2018-10:47:43 54394 Broken pipe
02/13/2018-10:47:47 54411 p XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX apns production <VehicleID> <OVMS-Server-Password> 126a1...
02/13/2018-10:50:47 54905 Broken pipe
02/13/2018-10:52:01 55117 A
02/13/2018-10:54:04 55416 Broken pipe
Logout ok

Can you explain how to read the server logs? What to “A”, “p” and “Broken pipe” mean?

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can buy OVMS hardware?

Fasttech is out of stock

OVMS v2 has been discontinued due to a lack of mobile network support for the 2G modem it uses. No new modules will be produced.

OVMS v3 is a replacement that uses a more powerful processor, supports wifi and bluetooth, 3 CAN buses, etc, and 3G / 4G modems. That is currently under development. Latest news is that the final design is done, and we expect to go into production after the chinese new year holidays (early March).

Reactions: Muzzman1
OVMS v2 has been discontinued due to a lack of mobile network support for the 2G modem it uses. No new modules will be produced.

OVMS v3 is a replacement that uses a more powerful processor, supports wifi and bluetooth, 3 CAN buses, etc, and 3G / 4G modems. That is currently under development. Latest news is that the final design is done, and we expect to go into production after the chinese new year holidays (early March).

Hey thanks for the info.

OVMS v3 Pre-Launch Announcement | Open Vehicles

upload_2018-3-6_8-42-14.png

The first batch of production OVMS v3 modules and modems is being produced now. We estimate availability on Fasttech late this month (March 2018). Specifications and Pricing follow.

OVMS v3.1 module: US$90
  • Black injection-moulded plastic enclosure
  • ESP32 WROVER processor (16MB flash, 4MB SPI RAM, 520KB SRAM, dual core 160/240MHz Xtensa LX6 processor)
  • WIFI 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth v4.2 BR/EDR and BLE
  • 3x CAN buses
  • 1x Micro USB connector (for flash download and serial console)
  • 1x Micro SD card slot
  • 1x Internal expansion slot
  • 8x EGPIO, 2x GPIO
  • 1x GSM antenna connector
  • 1x GPS antenna connector
  • 1x DB9 vehicle connector
  • 1x DB26 expansion connector
OVMS v3.1 SIM5360E 3G modem module (either US or EU edition): US$60
  • Modem is an optional plug-in module, that can be changed in future (to allow for new technology)
  • 3G (EV-DO/HSPA+) dual band modem
  • Includes 2G (GSM/GPRS) and 2.5G (EDGE) quad band
  • GPS/GNSS
  • Nano (4FF) SIM slot
  • HOLOGRAM.IO nano sim
  • US edition is SIM5360A (Dual-Band UMTS/HSPA+ 850/1900MHz, Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz)
  • EU edition is SIM5360J(E) (Dual-Band UMTS/HSPA+ 900/2100MHz, Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz)
Bundle (OVMS v3.1 module + v3.1 modem): US$150

A time-limited special discount of US$20 off this bundle price will be provided for existing OVMS v2 owners (making this bundle offer US$130).

This first production batch is intended for experienced OVMS v2 users and v3 developers. Please note:
  • Firmware is not complete, and should be considered beta
  • Functionality is approximately equivalent to basic OVMS v2 firmware, but some advanced features (such as ACC, SMS control, etc) are not available yet
  • Firmware is far in advance of v2 in other aspects (such as built in web server, metrics, console, tcp/ip support, diagnostics, geofencing, scripting, etc)
  • Firmware can be updated either Over The Air (OTA), by Micro SD card, or over USB interface
  • Vehicle support currently includes: Kia Soul EV, Nissan Leaf, Renault Twizy, Tesla Roadster
The antenna and vehicle connectors for OVMS v3 are the same as for OVMS v2, and existing cables/antennas can generally be re-used for OVMS v3. Note, however, that the frequency ranges supported by individual 3G networks may be different than 2G, so may benefit from an antenna specifically designed for the 3G frequency ranges used.