Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a short word on 3G vs 4G.

Not wanting to fall into the same trap as OVMS v2, where the entire board is designed around the modem module, we designed the OVMS v3 system to have optional pluggable modem boards. We want to be able to exchange modem board, for newer technology, without having to change the entire system. We also designed the modem circuit board itself to support different modem modules, and our current modem board design supports both SIM5360 (3G) and SIM7100 (4G) modules, on the same board layout.

However, today, the SIM5360 modules are almost six times the price of our old SIM900 ones, and the SIM7100 is almost twice that again. So, we can support 4G modems - just too expensive at the moment to be worthwhile. I am also concerned because 4G LTE NB-IoT is coming soon, and that seems a much better match for what we require (SIM7000 module).

Overall, we decided to stay with 3G for the moment, and see what happens with NB-IoT later this year. We will then either release SIM7000 or SIM7100 modem option.

P.S. No pre-order list yet. Details will be announced later this month.

OVMS v3.1 Pre-Ordering Now

The first batch of production OVMS v3 modules and modems is now available for pre-order from fasttech.com. Specifications, Pricing, and details, follow.

Bundle Kit: OVMS v3.1 module (US$90) + OVMS v3.1 modem (US$60)

Existing users: US$130 (uses US$20 Fasttech discount coupon code for all OVMS v1/v2 users)
New users: US$150.
  • Black injection-moulded plastic enclosure
  • ESP32 WROVER processor (16MB flash, 4MB SPI RAM, 520KB SRAM, dual core 160/240MHz Xtensa LX6 processor)
  • WIFI 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth v4.2 BR/EDR and BLE
  • 3x CAN buses
  • 1x Micro USB connector (for flash download and serial console)
  • 1x Micro SD card slot
  • 1x Internal expansion slot
  • 8x EGPIO, 2x GPIO
  • 1x GSM antenna connector
  • 1x GPS antenna connector
  • 1x DB9 vehicle connector
  • 1x DB26 expansion connector
  • OVMS v3.1 SIM5360E 3G modem module (either US or EU edition)
    • Modem is an optional plug-in module, that can be changed in future (to allow for new technology)
    • 3G (EV-DO/HSPA+) dual band modem
    • Includes 2G (GSM/GPRS) and 2.5G (EDGE) quad band
    • GPS/GNSS
    • Nano (4FF) SIM slot
    • HOLOGRAM.IO nano sim
    • US edition is SIM5360A (Dual-Band UMTS/HSPA+ 850/1900MHz, Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz)
    • EU edition is SIM5360J(E) (Dual-Band UMTS/HSPA+ 900/2100MHz, Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz)
First Production Batch

This first production batch is intended for experienced OVMS v2 users and v3 developers. Please note:
  • Firmware is not complete, and should be considered beta
  • Functionality is approximately equivalent to basic OVMS v2 firmware, but some advanced features (such as ACC, SMS control, etc) are not available yet
  • Firmware is far in advance of v2 in other aspects (such as built in web server, metrics, console, tcp/ip support, diagnostics, geofencing, scripting, etc)
  • Firmware can be updated either Over The Air (OTA), by Micro SD card, or over USB interface
  • Vehicle support currently includes: Kia Soul EV, Nissan Leaf, Renault Twizy, Tesla Roadster
Antenna and Vehicle Connectors

The antenna and vehicle connectors for OVMS v3 are the same as for OVMS v2, and existing cables/antennas can generally be re-used for OVMS v3. Note, however, that the frequency ranges supported by individual 3G networks may be different than 2G, so may benefit from an antenna specifically designed for the 3G frequency ranges used.

Coupon Code and Ordering Arrangements

For existing OVMS v1 or v2 users, please login to www.openvehicles.com, then click My Account, then Vehicles. You will see the Fasttech coupon code next to your registered vehicle. When using the Fasttech ordering system, add the products you want to your cart, click View Cart, then “Have a coupon code?” to enter the code.

We expect the first stock to arrive next week, and first shipments will start pretty soon after that.

Should you wish to donate to the project, you can use this link to donate via PayPal:

Support FAQ | Open Vehicles

Reactions: Roadster
And we’re sold out of EU kits in the first 5 hours. I’ve even had to redirect some of the stock coming to me, to Fasttech, to cope with demand.

There are still US kits available (I guess USA is just waking up now).

I hope everyone here who needs one got one. If not, let me know and I’ll see what can be done.

Regards, Mark.

Gentle reminder: this is a non-profit project with a lot of people donating their time and money. Please only use the coupon code if you are genuinely upgrading from v1 or v2 (it's stated purpose), and please don't publicly post that coupon code.

Oh man - looks like US version is sold out. Can't believe I missed it. I'll be patiently waiting for the restock. Thanks again, Mark, for all your work on this.

The idea for this first production batch was to make this original batch of 120, and get them in the field in the hands of developers and technical competent people (anything else, and the developers would most likely be swamped with dealing with support and installation issues). Then, wait a couple of weeks to ensure no hardware issues (either design or production). If ok, then proceed with a larger second batch. The hardware design is finalised, and has been thoroughly tested at the component level, but we are still wary as real-world deployments tend to show up things not seen when numbers are more limited. I still think that is a reasonable plan, so would mean the next batch go ahead would be probably mid April, with availability early to mid May. From then onwards, we can keep plenty in stock.

Most shipments from Fasttech will go out at the end of this week, with the remainder next week.

I will be getting some kits (both EU and US) directly to me next week, in addition to those going to Fasttech. If a developer, or technically competent user, really needs one urgently, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Reactions: EVChris
I now have some stock of OVMS v3.1. I need some for HK installs, but there are some spare (both US and EU kits, as well as bare OVMS modules without modems). They will probably go fast.

If you need one, let me know ASAP.

Regards, Mark

upload_2018-4-5_16-4-51.png

I now have some stock of OVMS v3.1. I need some for HK installs, but there are some spare (both US and EU kits, as well as bare OVMS modules without modems). They will probably go fast.

If you need one, let me know ASAP.

Regards, Mark

View attachment 291929
markwj- When will the OVMS v3.1 be back in stock? Currently, it says "temporarily out of stock".

Thanks for the hard work!

markwj- When will the OVMS v3.1 be back in stock? Currently, it says "temporarily out of stock".

Thanks for the hard work!

I still have a handful of US kits. EU all gone. Let me know if you want one.

Next big batch (220 modules) is in production now and should be at Fasttech by the end of this month (May). From then on, we should be able to keep these in stock as design is stable now.

I still have a handful of US kits. EU all gone. Let me know if you want one.

Next big batch (220 modules) is in production now and should be at Fasttech by the end of this month (May). From then on, we should be able to keep these in stock as design is stable now.
Markwj- Excellent! I'll go for one US model. Should I PM you the details, or order through Fasttech? Are the units on hand based on the stable design?

I keep getting these alerts on my iphone from OVMS, the conditions are:

- 2010 Roadster Sport 2.0
- Plugged in and sitting fully charged

Is this an indicator of pending failure in my 12V battery?

What version of firmware? Production 'main' 3.1.005 doesn't have alerts at all for Tesla Roadster. These notifications were added in some of the recent edge releases, but I don't think 12v alerts are currently enabled for Tesla Roadster. If you are on 'edge', can you make sure you are running the latest and see if you still get these alerts?

The "ota status" command will show you the currently running firmware version, and available latest. If you have 'config auto ota yes' set, then so long as you have wifi the firmware will automatically update every night (default: 2am).

If you are running latest firmware, then probably quickest to raise a support ticket at www.openvehicles.com and we'll look at it.

What SIM card are people using the US for v3?

All v3 kits currently come with Hologram SIM as standard. You can use that at a very reasonable price (first US$5 of data also provided by Hologram free for OVMS users). My recommendation is to use that, for simplicity.

I would think that the only reason not to use Hologram is if you can get a +1 data SIM from your normal cellular / internet provider free (or very cheap).