Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks markwj and foxium for your hard work on this.

Fuzzy, you and scott451 started this and its great to have you on-board as it comes out. The RCM is the foundation for what we are doing.

It feels amazing to get final hardware in the cars at last, and monitoring our roadsters from both iPhone and Android. I always say that 'there is no such thing as the number 2' (I guess it is my Ockham's razor), and hope that this is just the start.

Thanks for working on this. Both the Tesla Tattler and this show how many amazingly talented people there are out there who can accomplish things like this so I appreciate it. Both projects look amazing.

DSM363, thanks for your encouragement.

Thanks markwj and foxium for your hard work on this.

Fuzzy, frankly without your project and Scott's pioneer work, Mark and I probably wouldn't have gotten into the discussion that started this. I probably won't end up with a Roadster that's got remote monitoring for myself and a set of slick (hopefully) feature to show my friends. And I probably won't end up working with such wonderful people, like Mark :biggrin:.

So BIG Thank you's to both of you.

Last edited:
I'm pleased to say that the first batch of OVMS hardware kits for developers is now available. It should be ready to ship out monday/tuesday next week. A second batch will arrange a week later.

The development kits consists of:
  1. Version 1 OVMS controller board and expansion ports;
  2. Quad-band SIM900 modem board, customized for piggy back connectivity with the OVMS controller board;
  3. GSM car antenna with an approximately 4 feet long connection cord;
  4. Plastic case with customized support legs for secure installation of both OVMS and GSM boards; and
  5. Connection cable with diagnostic port connector for the Tesla Roadster.

Required tools (not included in the kit):
  • A flash programmer that's compatible with the Microchip PIC18F2680 (we recommend PICKIT3, while PICKIT2 should work as well);
  • Microchip Mplab or Mplab-X IDE (free download from Microchip).

We've managed to meet our $99+shipping price target, and you can order online (with payment via paypal) at:

Open Vehicle Systems

Please note:
  • Initially, we are releasing this to developers who can program the devices themselves, and who know what they are doing (and the damage that can be caused if things go wrong).
  • You will need a Microchip PICKIT2 or PICKIT 3 (not included), and know how to program PIC firmware via the ICP pins on the board.
  • We need a few weeks (hopefully not months) for people to find and fix bugs and ensure everything is stable, before we release a firmware suitable for end-users. We'll let you know when that happens.

Regards, Mark.

first. what great job you all are doing to make life simpler and more convenient for the rest of us..... not so abled.....!

i had an idea and am not sure how far scott has gotten in his CAN bus research. would it not be great if from your mobile device one could change the type of charging that has been set. for example: winter storage is not at home and so the car is in storage mode but I know that tomorrow I will pick it up and would love the charging pattern to be on another setting to get the battery fully up and running. or the car is sitting at home on standard charge and you are out and get an offer to go somewhere the next day which needs range charging but you won't be home in time to implement the extra charge, etc., etc. would this be possible to implement?

also in the writup for the IOS version 0.91 you wrote of open doors etc in the diagram........ on my phone they are closed.......... not a big deal but just wondering........ also noticed that this build does nothing on the iPad.........!

sadly I will have to wait until you developer types have finished working on the firmware until I can implement this into my car.......... hope you are able to be as quick as you hope

very best of luck and again THANKS for all of your hard work around this community!

felix b.

first. what great job you all are doing to make life simpler and more convenient for the rest of us..... not so abled.....!

i had an idea and am not sure how far scott has gotten in his CAN bus research. would it not be great if from your mobile device one could change the type of charging that has been set. for example: winter storage is not at home and so the car is in storage mode but I know that tomorrow I will pick it up and would love the charging pattern to be on another setting to get the battery fully up and running. or the car is sitting at home on standard charge and you are out and get an offer to go somewhere the next day which needs range charging but you won't be home in time to implement the extra charge, etc., etc. would this be possible to implement?

Your suggestion for changing charging type should be possible. Scott451 released a good starter set of CAN bus messages, and we have since been busy trying to discover the rest. We've since found and documented things like odometer, trip counter, unlock/lock, tpms, speed, etc.

Our code can operate in two modes - listen-only and active. In listen-only mode, it does not transmit or in any way acknowledge stuff on the CAN bus - this is very safe and extremely unlikely to ever affect any in-car systems. In active mode, it participates on the can us, and can transmit messages. It can spoof the VDS and do most things (on the CAN bus it works with) that the VDS can. It can, in fact, do more (like incremental amperage limits, not just the stepped amperages that the VDS offers).

also in the writup for the IOS version 0.91 you wrote of open doors etc in the diagram........ on my phone they are closed.......... not a big deal but just wondering........ also noticed that this build does nothing on the iPad.........!

In iOS version 0.9.1, the doors will change to red color if they are opened. The DEMO car doesn't open doors, so you won't see this. But, if you watch closely you will see the DEMO car does open the charge port (it changes color to red) when charging. It also unlocks when driving and locks when charging.

The iPad support is not yet complete. We've really been concentrating on iPhone/iPodTouch. That said, iPad is our next target. We are planning to re-arrange the 3 current iPhone tabs (Battery, Car and Location) and put them on 1 for the iPad. This should be achievable in the short term.

Longer-term, I'm hoping some more experienced iOS developers can get involved to help out here.

Things are moving incredibly fast, and we've got some exciting announcements coming. We're really glad the hardware is finally going out to developers, which is the first step in getting it out to the wider community. It is incredible to see my car on the system - I feel much more comfortable on-street-parking when I can check up on the car, and sharing location/status is a great alternative to find-my-friends!

Thanks for the kind words. We really hope we can get there soon.

Regards, Mark.

The latest Android code has been pushed to the Tempworks branch of the Github Repo.

For those not interested in compiling, here's a compiled version of it. It's got those new features in the iOS app like TPMS and doors/trunk status display :smile:.

MD5 Checksum: OVMS.apk 30de1546bfe4302f19977b6d8c691a98

Attachments

• OVMS.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Works ok, but my only observation is that tabs 2 and 5 are the same wrench icon.

Mine shows different icons (see below) but as I've been relying on built-in resources (drawables), the look of the icon varies between different Android ROMs.

I haven't spent much time on polishing things. As the code is now up on Github, please feel free to fork it and make changes :).

Attachments

• TPMS.PNG
    TPMS.PNG
    258.6 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Your suggestion for changing charging type should be possible. Scott451 released a good starter set of CAN bus messages, and we have since been busy trying to discover the rest. We've since found and documented things like odometer, trip counter, unlock/lock, tpms, speed, etc.

Our code can operate in two modes - listen-only and active. In listen-only mode, it does not transmit or in any way acknowledge stuff on the CAN bus - this is very safe and extremely unlikely to ever affect any in-car systems. In active mode, it participates on the can us, and can transmit messages. It can spoof the VDS and do most things (on the CAN bus it works with) that the VDS can. It can, in fact, do more (like incremental amperage limits, not just the stepped amperages that the VDS offers).

In iOS version 0.9.1, the doors will change to red color if they are opened. The DEMO car doesn't open doors, so you won't see this. But, if you watch closely you will see the DEMO car does open the charge port (it changes color to red) when charging. It also unlocks when driving and locks when charging.

The iPad support is not yet complete. We've really been concentrating on iPhone/iPodTouch. That said, iPad is our next target. We are planning to re-arrange the 3 current iPhone tabs (Battery, Car and Location) and put them on 1 for the iPad. This should be achievable in the short term.

Longer-term, I'm hoping some more experienced iOS developers can get involved to help out here.

Things are moving incredibly fast, and we've got some exciting announcements coming. We're really glad the hardware is finally going out to developers, which is the first step in getting it out to the wider community. It is incredible to see my car on the system - I feel much more comfortable on-street-parking when I can check up on the car, and sharing location/status is a great alternative to find-my-friends!

Thanks for the kind words. We really hope we can get there soon.

Regards, Mark.

wow sounds exciting! thanks for the update and explanation.

for another question. would it not be nice if one could swipe between screens, at least between the charging screen and the car screen so that there is smoother operation of the app. maybe this is where you are hoping for some help from experienced IOS developers...... I'll see if I might be able to drum up one for you...... had another thought. what is your final idea for notably the car screen? for the charging screen you have a very slick image of the actual car and a very smooth and slick battery with charge state. however, for the car screen you are much more simplistic. is this a deliberat departure to not end up with clutter? if you are interested I could look at different ideas for the car screen.........

also when you talk about open and closed doors do you mean locked and un-locked or really open and closed? and is there data in the can bus for open and closed trunk and hood lid as well? this would be almost more interesting to know, if you have closed both sides of the trunk lid or not....... or if someone is trying to muck about with the PEM or the battery...... on that note could one detect at the charge port if a) the car is charging b) it is finished c) disconnected? that way have the same pulsating lights in the icon as ,on the car when unlocked........... back to the doors. if you mean open/closed then could it not be nice to make a small GIF anim to actually have them open and closed? etc., etc.......... maybe this clutters up too much. but on the other hand maybe it could be done in a very clean and subdued manner...........

on my earlier note. are you thinking of implementing any active controls of the VDS? in that case there could be a 5th screen for the active controls of the tesla..... that way people that want to use this functionality (on their own risk it sounds) could unlock this capability on the cars screen and the 5th screen would then be available....... I do understand that we are getting in to some tricker programming stuff but as I said I think I might be able to help here......

also installed 0.92 on the ipad and it's much nicer now with the screen having a much better use. (this is by the way why I started thinking about swiping on the iPhone)...... it would be closer and easier to get to the info you want......

thanks again for the great work and hope to hear from you on these ideas

felix b.

Last edited:
would it not be nice if one could swipe between screens, at least between the charging screen and the car screen so that there is smoother operation of the app. maybe this is where you are hoping for some help from experienced IOS developers...... I'll see if I might be able to drum up one for you.....

The original prototype worked that way, but it turned out a bit messy. It is fine for swiping between two screens, but when you get to three, four, five, etc, it turns out quicker just to hit the tab for the one you want. So, I finally chose tabs (as it fits in with Apple's design guidelines better).

prototype-screen-of-the-tesla-open-vehicle-monitoring-system-image-tesla-motors-club_100372522_s.jpg

I think it is possible to overlay an invisible swipe control on the screens and use that to switch tabs. That might be an interesting compromise. UI is a pig, and I find it takes a lot of iteration to get it right.

what is your final idea for notably the car screen? for the charging screen you have a very slick image of the actual car and a very smooth and slick battery with charge state. however, for the car screen you are much more simplistic. is this a deliberat departure to not end up with clutter? if you are interested I could look at different ideas for the car screen.........

The idea was to stay as true to the VDS as possible. Make it just like taking the VDS with you on your iPhone. Even the battery graphic is similar to that on the VDS. So, the graphic used for the car outline is a re-working of th car outline on the VDS. I agree it is ugly. (which leads me to my next post, after I've replied here).

also when you talk about open and closed doors do you mean locked and un-locked or really open and closed? and is there data in the can bus for open and closed trunk and hood lid as well? this would be almost more interesting to know, if you have closed both sides of the trunk lid or not....... or if someone is trying to muck about with the PEM or the battery...... on that note could one detect at the charge port if a) the car is charging b) it is finished c) disconnected? that way have the same pulsating lights in the icon as ,on the car when unlocked........... back to the doors. if you mean open/closed then could it not be nice to make a small GIF anim to actually have them open and closed? etc., etc.......... maybe this clutters up too much. but on the other hand maybe it could be done in a very clean and subdued manner...........

The open and close doors (left door, right door, trunk, hood and charge port) are tracking the actual state of the doors (open or closed). Yes, the trunk and hid lids are shown.

I think there is only one sensor in the trunk/hood, so you can only see if the car thinks it is open/closed (not whether both sides are open/closed). We show whatever the car announces on the CAN bus. It is possible that Tesla have two sensors and something smart to only show closed if both sides are indeed closed, but I'm not sure if that is how they did it. Can you check on your car? If you close one side only does the VDS still show open, or does it register it as closed? I guess you'd have to check both sides to be certain.

(based on this picture, I think not ;-).

are you thinking of implementing any active controls of the VDS? in that case there could be a 5th screen for the active controls of the tesla..... that way people that want to use this functionality (on their own risk it sounds) could unlock this capability on the cars screen and the 5th screen would then be available....... I do understand that we are getting in to some tricker programming stuff but as I said I think I might be able to help here......

Yes, definitely, as an option. We were planning to just put the control on the relevant screen. For example, pressing the LOCK icon on the car screen would prompt you if you want to unlock the car (or vice-versa if it was already unlocked).

also installed 0.92 on the ipad and it's much nicer now with the screen having a much better use. (this is by the way why I started thinking about swiping on the iPhone)...... it would be closer and easier to get to the info you want......

Yes. It is usable on the iPad now.

Regards, Mark.

Help required - graphics

The core code for the Apps is now done, and they are pretty much ready to go to the relevant App stores (which will simplify distribution and download for the users).

But, the graphics (mostly) suck.

As a start, we need better artwork for the icons and splash screens:

apps/iOS/ovms/Icon.png at master from markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System - GitHub
apps/iOS/icon72x72.png at master from markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System - GitHub
apps/iOS/icon114x114.png at master from markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System - GitHub
apps/iOS/Default.png at master from markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System - GitHub
apps/iOS/Default-Portrait~ipad.png at master from markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System - GitHub
apps/iOS/Default-Landscape~ipad.png at master from markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System - GitHub

and the car outline:

apps/iOS/ovms/roadster_outline.png at master from markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System - GitHub
apps/iOS/ovms/roadster_outline_cp.png at master from markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System - GitHub
apps/iOS/ovms/roadster_outline_hd.png at master from markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System - GitHub
apps/iOS/ovms/roadster_outline_ld.png at master from markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System - GitHub
apps/iOS/ovms/roadster_outline_rd.png at master from markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System - GitHub
apps/iOS/ovms/roadster_outline_tr.png at master from markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System - GitHub

So long as size, format and alpha stay the same, everything else can be changed to suit.

Those are the most urgent, but longer term we really need help with the UI and usability of these projects.

Is there anyone on this board willing to help out with this (or are we all techies with poor design skills ;-)? Or, just have a go and see if you can send us anything better than our photoshop cut-and-paste efforts.

Thanks, Mark.

I'll see what I can do. no graphics guy but an architect with some knowledge in the field..... ;-). and for the programming a really good friend of mine has a game company that develops mostly for IOS and android. I think he might be willing to help...... we'll see.......

felix b.