Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'Tis the season for .... OVMS!

Well, look what Santa left under the tree....

ovmsxmas.jpg

The first developer hardware units ship out today. Merry christmas!

Hi Mark,

great work! I am aware this is alpha work. Did you do some noise/vibration/harshness tests? I'd suggest e.g. a strain relief on the blue cable.

Yes, there is a strain relief on the inside part of the blue cable. You can't pull it out. Production units will most likely have a better arrangement (with two-way strain relief).

We've made things as secure as we can. Six screws hold down the simcom gsm/GPRS board, while a dual-inline connector, post and screw hold down the pic controller board. The DIAG port is automotive rated and very tight (some say too tight). Similar for the antenna. The boards themselves are machine soldered. Overall, It is pretty secure, and nothing has shaken loose despite more than a month in the cars.

We're not really happy with the pic RJ11 connector arrangement, and looking for ways to improve it, but we are limited by he available enclosures.

The enclosure is not waterproof. But, if you've got enough water in that part of the car to matter, you've got bigger problems ;-)

Overall, given the limited quantities it is probably as good as it can be. 1 unit is easy. 1,000 is easy. It is the middle range we are in that things get difficult. I think Sonny has done an amazing job getting the factories to do what they've done.

Regards, Mark

So Mark,

where do I put the images I have made?? I made an extra one for when the car has finished charging and the share port illumination is orange instead of red for open. Also my doors and so on are transparent to fit over the car outline. Hope you like them and can use them. For now the PEM, motor and battery are part of the outline but in my file they are separate if you want to implement over heating or problem flashing of these icons

best

felix b.

[UPDATE] Sorry I am not very good at using the gitHub and such resources.........

Last edited:
Cool stuff. =)

Somewhere I had suggested sending multiple LOCK commands to chirp the horn. You might wrap something like that into a single function if you're not already.

I don't think we can do that -yet-, we found the command that will lock the car (and flash the indicator lights), but it will not set the alarm at the same time.
So it will also not chirp the horn. The only beep you'll hear is coming from the speaker inside the car.

Cool. Scott mentioned trying it here.

I notice that if I lock the car (with key fob) too quickly after closing the door, I get the horn beeping. Perhaps this is what was discussed?

Anyway, we'll give it a try and see what happens.

P.S. There is significant difference between the US and non-US (or is that north American?) cars. The non-US cars are fitted with immobilizers, and don't have the pin lock/unlock on the VDS.