Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
US SIM and data service. Anyone have an in to either of these companies? For simple standby gprs data like this we should be below $10/month.

I'm using a 50MB/month plan (in Hong Kong). About US$3/month. Another user (Europe) said they are adding a SIM to their exiting data plan, and only pay for the sim without monthly extra. OVMS really doesn't need a lot of data.

I guess there will be a lot of regional variance, but in general:
1. iPad / Tablet plans
2. Add a SIM to your existing data plan
3. Prepaid SIMs

In Hong Kong (and Mainland China) there exist some old 2G-only networks. As everybody is moving to 3G/4G, those 2G operators tend to offer some good GPRS data plans.

For example, New World Mobility in Hong Kong offers a voice plan with unlimited 2G/GPRS for about US$10/mth. But nothing beats Mark's $3 plan :biggrin:

I notice that if I lock the car (with key fob) too quickly after closing the door, I get the horn beeping. Perhaps this is what was discussed?

That and if you use key fob to lock car, the first time your lights flash only but it you push lock again within a second or two (I haven't timed it), the horn beeps once too.

From the manual:

Press the Lock button on the key fob to lock the doors and arm the alarm.

The turn signals will flash once and the red security indicator on the console (illustrated on page 4-7) will illuminate and continue to flash red while the vehicle is locked. If you push the Lock button after the vehicle has already been locked, you’ll hear a confirmation beep.

BTW: Thanks for the great work guys!

This really seems great guys! My colleague who is the owner of the Roadster would really want this in his car.

Now, I'm not sure, can we order this yet? That is something I didn't find in the topic.

It is still a work-in-progress and not ready for end-users.

At the moment, we're only shipping to 'developers' - people who can download firmware to a PIC micro controller. If anyone meets that criteria, they can order today. The first batch was delivered already, and the second batch is due any day now.

Regards, Mark

P.S. This is an open-source community project, and we're always looking for help. Not just developers, but graphics designers, documenters, testers, local end-user support, etc. Please get in touch if you can help in any way.

I work in IT and have been working with PIC controllers lately, I'll probably figure out how to flash them.

Open Source is my favorite! I'm involved with multiple OS projects and all my computers run OS software only (Ubuntu).

Hi there guys,

Just took a look at the new build of the IOS App. Looks nice :)

Couple of things I noticed with the DEMO car. the charge port turns on the charge light after a good while..... maybe this corresponds to reality or just a time lapse you put on the DEMO. However, the locked car as you had before while charging does not display..... Also on the iPad the map went dead as charging started but if I turned off that screen and back again then it was fine.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS AND WHAT IS TURNING INTO A REALLY NICE IMPLEMENTATION of on board LIVE diagnostics!!!!

Nice! Can't wait until we have it.

Also, if any server capacity in Europe is needed, contact me. I've got a hosting company with enough server capacity spare. If you need some virtual machines, let me know!

if any server capacity in Europe is needed, contact me. I've got a hosting company with enough server capacity spare. If you need some virtual machines, let me know!

Thanks for the offer. We've got the development server in Hong Kong, close to us, and should have news soon about a main production server in USA. I think that should be enough capacity, given the number of cars, but thanks for the offer. If things increase, and one in Europe makes sense, we'll be in touch!

Approved - Happy Xmas

In amongst today's Model S excitement, I'm glad to report that we just got notified by Apple that our iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) App got approved for release to the Apple App Store - just in time for the christmas holiday freeze on new applications to the Apple iTunes Connect system..

You can find it at:

Apple App Store - Open Vehicle

This is the v1.0.0 release. Requirements are unchanged - as before, please note you will need:
  • iOS v5.0 (or later)
  • iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
  • Internet Connectivity
  • OVMS Car Module (or try with the DEMO car)

Approval process was, thankfully, fairly painless - and we got a nice video out of it.

Regards, Mark.

P.S. As always, Apple's standard disclaimer applies that this may take up to 24 hours to replicate across all the Apple stores. If you don't find it immediately, please wait a few hours then try again.