Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opened falcon wing door and this happened...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 P90D. I just got my car back from the service center for front upper control arm replacements (3rd time) a few days ago, which is frustrating enough. Now I have severe acceleration shudder even at moderate acceleration.

Anyways the point of this post is that I pulled into my garage today and as soon as I stopped, the drivers side falcon wing door spontaneously opened and I heard this hellacious cracking sound. Pic attached...ouch. I didn't hit anything it collided against the center piece I'm supposing.

TC

Attachments

• IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 342
The picture shows everything relevant, but there are reflections that are really confusing. Another photo might help. Anyway it's clearly a full replacement of the top center spline (the one that was recalled anyway due to adhesive issues) and the top glass panel of at least one of the falcon wing doors.

The good news is this is a golden opportunity to replace the glass on both sides with the newer versions of those parts so as to get rid of the gloppy sticky gummy rubber seals that cannot be replaced any other way. (See threads on TMC about this ridiculous, demoralizing problem that is obsceneley expensive to fix out of warranty and Tesla won't pay for.)

Note you should do both sides at the same time because the color of the glass may not match otherwise (see threads on TMC about this obscure, demoralizing problem that Tesla won't pay for.)

My 2016 had this remediated. But it was a pretty narrow range of VINs that was affected *and* the issue was only present in a small percentage of *those* :

If yours was in this range you would have gotten a recall notice in the mail and service centers would have flagged your car for an *inspection* to determine if any repairs were actually needed to comply.

If not, .. not.