Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opened FWD in garage and it smashed in to my garage door mechanism. What to expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly. The SC subs out most glass work and the place they sub it to is a mile from my house rather than 15 so they are going to Tesla to get the glass and doing it tomorrow.

that quote is from the SC and the price is the same either way.
I had something similar happen to me yesterday, although thankfully, it bumped into a hanging Thule cargo box that is directly above my car. Normally, the FWD stops an inch or two before getting to the box but yesterday it banged into it. No biggie, since the box isn’t securely fixed and just swung out of the way. The night before, I had uploaded firmware 24.6.4. Is that what you’re running? Could firmware cause this?

I had something similar happen to me yesterday, although thankfully, it bumped into a hanging Thule cargo box that is directly above my car. Normally, the FWD stops an inch or two before getting to the box but yesterday it banged into it. No biggie, since the box isn’t securely fixed and just swung out of the way. The night before, I had uploaded firmware 24.6.4. Is that what you’re running? Could firmware cause this?

I would not rely on the FWDs to act predictably. Either set them to open partially all the time or clear the area above/around the FWDs so they can open fully all the time.

One item to note and that I have seen here a few times - your car likely came with the chromatic coating on the FWD top glass. Tesla no longer uses this coating on its current MX cars. Make sure you get the correct glass that will match. Others have had the FWD glass roof replaced and received one that does not match.

Link to someone who had this problem recently - Mismatched falcon wing door roof glass
Yep. I sent this thread to the glass company last night.

Reactions: VikH
I would not rely on the FWDs to act predictably. Either set them to open partially all the time or clear the area above/around the FWDs so they can open fully all the time.
I won’t either going forward. Glad I don’t have kids or really any reason to use the back doors. I can’t imagine how frustrating having a normal garage would be with a need to use the FWD...

When my garage door opener died, I replaced it with a wall mounted one (Chamberlain RJO70) as I figured it would be cheaper to get a wall mounted opener than to pay for any damage of the wings bumping into a ceiling mounted one. Now I when I back into the garage I have no worries, as literally nothing is in the way of the wings, even the opened garage door.

I highly recommend swapping door openers to a wall mounted one if your car gets even close a ceiling mounted one. Previously it would get within about an inch of touching the old opener, and I worry if someone raised the height of the car and opened the wing it would crash. Now the kids can go hog wild and open/shut all they want.

When my garage door opener died, I replaced it with a wall mounted one (Chamberlain RJO70) as I figured it would be cheaper to get a wall mounted opener than to pay for any damage of the wings bumping into a ceiling mounted one. Now I when I back into the garage I have no worries, as literally nothing is in the way of the wings, even the opened garage door.

I highly recommend swapping door openers to a wall mounted one if your car gets even close a ceiling mounted one. Previously it would get within about an inch of touching the old opener, and I worry if someone raised the height of the car and opened the wing it would crash. Now the kids can go hog wild and open/shut all they want.
Wish I would have done that a couple months ago lol

Shoutout to my SC. I was going to use their local glass people because they could do the repair tomorrow. They came back and said they were going to charge me $1450 so I said to cancel it and I’d just go through Tesla. I had already canceled my appt so I had to make a new one and they cut me a deal on the labor and a little on the glass. The quote went from $1211 to $1015.

That was very nice of them.

Attachments

• 1C30F6A9-75EB-4594-BAE5-F966663EA12B.jpeg
    1C30F6A9-75EB-4594-BAE5-F966663EA12B.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: DavidB
To the OP, if you feel adventurous, you can replace it yourself and save a few bucks like I did:

How to replace FWD glass top

Otherwise, double check with your insurance to see if they'll cover it. And as you've heard from others, unfortunately it's considered a user error and Tesla won't cover it under warranty. Also highly recommend replacing your garage opener with a wall mount, way better in ever way. Good luck!

• Helpful
Expect to pay them?

Can't easily tell, but your garage ceiling seems high and the opener seems low. The FWD's should only partially open if they sense they are under a ceiling. Did they open fully in your case? That would be unusual. I think there is just one ultrasonic sensor on the roof, so it's a fairly crude detection that will not pickup pipes and beams. It works fine in my garage, though the FWD's don't open far enough to allow easy access. I usually manually override to raise the doors a little further.

This is exactly my experience, and I do the same. My garage ceiling is probably what is considered "standard" height - probably 10 feet.