Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opened FWD in garage and it smashed in to my garage door mechanism. What to expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty straightforward. Needed to grab my backpack out of the backseat. Pressed the exterior handle to open the door. Door smashed in to my garage door opener and cracked the glass. Set an appointment for next Wed, closest one I could get.

What should I expect from the dealership??
A136249F-095E-45CF-B7B1-7655B938EE23.jpeg
23BFC9A3-2623-407F-9113-69CA3DC75813.jpeg
F9B9E513-EFC9-47A9-8870-831F2723D1DC.jpeg
40578ED7-7A56-4B91-A741-42E2CD3A5D5B.jpeg
B0BF3AF1-C9EB-4014-9042-4A71E8D8C1DA.jpeg

Expect to pay them?

Can't easily tell, but your garage ceiling seems high and the opener seems low. The FWD's should only partially open if they sense they are under a ceiling. Did they open fully in your case? That would be unusual. I think there is just one ultrasonic sensor on the roof, so it's a fairly crude detection that will not pickup pipes and beams. It works fine in my garage, though the FWD's don't open far enough to allow easy access. I usually manually override to raise the doors a little further.

Yea more wondering about how much that piece of glass is going to be and if there is any reason to use Tesla rather than just a glass shop (is there anything special about that glass).

yes, never has a problem before. The mechanism is low, it’s the height of the door. It usually stops but it opened right up like normal...right in to the opener.

Looks like your specific garage door opener is mounted just behind where the sensor would pick it up. Bad placement for the car to see it.

Will be a customer pay item/insurance claim.

Need to look yourself to see if automatic doors have proper clearance before pushing any buttons.

Looks like your specific garage door opener is mounted just behind where the sensor would pick it up. Bad placement for the car to see it.

Will be a customer pay item/insurance claim.

Need to look yourself to see if automatic doors have proper clearance before pushing any buttons.

I knew they didn’t have proper clearance, they never do in my/most garages. Usually, it stops well before it crashes in to the opener in my garage. Not sure why it didn’t this time.

going to see if there is a way to move the opener though I’m not sure it will help.

Yea more wondering about how much that piece of glass is going to be and if there is any reason to use Tesla rather than just a glass shop (is there anything special about that glass).

yes, never has a problem before. The mechanism is low, it’s the height of the door. It usually stops but it opened right up like normal...right in to the opener.
Sorry for that happened, you never know right?
I would use Tesla SC. I had my repair scheduled for next week to replace my front bumper due to the summon failure I had. I did some search and quoted from Tesla certified body shop auto-nation, felt they charge way more than Tesla SC, most of the labor fees. If Tesla SC have the parts in stock will be easy replacement. Also it didn’t look like a user error, it should be covered by Tesla. I would report to them immediately

I knew they didn’t have proper clearance, they never do in my/most garages. Usually, it stops well before it crashes in to the opener in my garage. Not sure why it didn’t this time.

going to see if there is a way to move the opener though I’m not sure it will help.

Looks like you parked in reverse which exposes the roof sensor to a higher ceiling. if you pull forward in the garage, your top sensor will align under the garage door opener most of the time, avoiding this issue.

I suggest you mount something over the middle that the sensor will see and know you have low obstacles. It can be above the door opener.

My doors will hit rails first if they open to far and put some foam on them as backup.

As you heard and now know, only a single centered sensor on the roof. It is conservative usually if you are in a garage space in the gps area where it has sensed a low ceiling but yours is high. Two other caveats are, it doesn’t sense pipes/smaller objects well like openers always versus the full ceiling, and if you have set your back trunk door to open here fully then it will remember that as an open fully for the doors perhaps (gotta verify that one). Definitely sucks. I’d say if you have an X, incest in a higher door and the side wall openers that cost a bit more if you have space for one.

Not exactly. The SC subs out most glass work and the place they sub it to is a mile from my house rather than 15 so they are going to Tesla to get the glass and doing it tomorrow.

that quote is from the SC and the price is the same either way.

One item to note and that I have seen here a few times - your car likely came with the chromatic coating on the FWD top glass. Tesla no longer uses this coating on its current MX cars. Make sure you get the correct glass that will match. Others have had the FWD glass roof replaced and received one that does not match.

Link to someone who had this problem recently - Mismatched falcon wing door roof glass

• Informative
Reactions: DavidB