Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opened the Homelink Part Box By Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the Homelink part and without reading(and out of excitement) I opened the box to see what was in it without reading the sticker that said "Do Not Open or Install is Void". I didn't touch anything inside, but I did get a little ahead of myself. Service is closed today but is there anyway I can reach out to someone and explain the situation or talk to someone?

I don't know how you can actually reach someone, but I would schedule the installation with the app and mention that you accidentally opened the box. Another user in this forum mentioned that they opened the box and the Tesla Service installer had no issue installing HomeLink for them.

Reactions: HotIce
I don't know how you can actually reach someone, but I would schedule the installation with the app and mention that you accidentally opened the box. Another user in this forum mentioned that they opened the box and the Tesla Service installer had no issue installing HomeLink for them.

Thank you! I haven't taken delivery yet so I don't see my car listed in the app and it says a phone number isn't linked to my accunt, but I will do that on delivery day. Can they install it day of or do I have to make an appointment?

Thank you! I haven't taken delivery yet so I don't see my car listed in the app and it says a phone number isn't linked to my accunt, but I will do that on delivery day. Can they install it day of or do I have to make an appointment?
Unfortunately, you have to make an appointment on the app, which you can't do until you take delivery. You could ask them at the delivery center, but from what I heard, they will probably send a mobile service tech to your home to install it - at least that's what they did for me. Take the box along with you when you pick up the car, just in case.

You could also make an official looking sticker that says something like, "Contents inspected for damage", and affix it to the box (after smashing the box a bit).

My guess is that the actual mobile tech who shows up to install it won’t care... but probably best to be upfront with them
You're right - tech won't care, at least mine didn't. If he had asked, I would have told him I just wanted to verify that there was something in the box. I wouldn't mention it when you make the appointment or doing the appointment - wait to see if tech says something (he won't).