Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening and Closing Sunroof is So EMBARRASSING!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had sunroofs in previous vehicles - and the S sunroof has been the best because of the much larger area it exposes when open.

I haven't had any issues with the sunroofs in my 2012 S P85 or 2017 S 100D. And haven't had any of the noise issues.

And I often drive with the sunroof and windows open, keeping a baseball cap in the car to provide some cover from the sun and wind while driving around near our home at speeds up to 50-55 MPH.

Restoring the sunroof option for the S would be a differentiator from the 3.

Tesla is going through a challenging phase right now - as they push to expand Model 3 sales while also bringing the Y/semi/pickup/Roadster 2.0 to market, and setup manufacturing in China. This type of expansion has never been done before in the auto industry - and is a huge challenge, especially while also trying to sustain profitability.

Once Tesla gets through this rough patch, I expect we'll see changes in S/X that will more firmly establish those models as higher priced alternatives to the higher volume 3/Y models - and we could see the pano roof return - especially if enough customers ask for it...

But unlikely that will happen this year...

Panoramic roofs have been around for two decades and it is solved technology.

You can bet that if Tesla can implement a falcon wing door, they can figure out a way to build a functioning sunroof, just like all the dozens of other carmakers. We've had pano roofs in cars before the Tesla and they've all worked flawlessly and the Dupont Krytox lube totally fixes any creaking issues, as that's its whole purpose.

Granted sunroofs are not for everyone but the vast majority of customers selected this option when it was available and it makes for memorable drives with sun and wind when the weather is nice.

So are handles and look at Tesla

Model S 85D April 2015 delivery.
My sunroof used to struggle to open, modification was added to trailing edge and lubricated by Tesla. Still seemed to struggle to open. More recently, because of the manufacturing tolerances being so poor, the glasses sits more to one side of car than the other. The roof started to eat the trim along the driver's side rail. Tesla then converted my 1.0 to 2.0 sunroof with new rails. You can determine the difference by looking at the roof rack mounting slots. The 1.0 version is longer than the 2.0 version. Much quieter operation and no struggling. Sunroof design not Tesla's best work.
In hindsight I would have taken a solid glass roof in a heartbeat, less seems to worry about and no tolerance issues with the mechanics.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
I also had a very squeaky panoramic sunroof on my 2014 P85D. I used this on my rubber parts of the sunroof mechanism, and it's been fine for me ever since.

https://www.amazon.com/303-Rubber-P...gateway&sprefix=car+rubber+pro,aps,136&sr=8-4

For what it's worth, I used the Krytox to fix the mild squeak between the driver seat and the center console and it also fixed it with one application several months ago.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
I love my sunroof, especially on Sunday drives to Napa with the wife (god, i sound like an insufferable yuppie :D).
I would probably not buy another expensive car without a sunroof, Tesla or otherwise.

I feel the same but with drives to the Shenandoah Valley in the spring, summer and fall. Love the large sunroof of the Model S, and not sure what their thinking was with removing this option.

Reactions: DMack
Graphite Powder is the magic mojo.
Blow it very thin on the rails and smear it via Your finger on all rubber seals.
This worked for me since day one and I never looked back.
Much better than all oil, plus it´s immune to water.

Amazon.com: graphite powder

There is a chance of galvanic corrosion when using graphite lubricants with certain metals. I am not familiar with the materials used in the panoroof rails/mechanism...but maybe something to consider.

There is a chance of galvanic corrosion when using graphite lubricants with certain metals. I am not familiar with the materials used in the panoroof rails/mechanism...but maybe something to consider.
This is true for areas that see a lot of moisture. If can't or won't get the lube recommended by Tesla, then use MSO2, dry film lube not the grease. One brand is Molycote. Better and lasts longer than grease, does not attract dirt.