Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening charge port... Finally got it...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AustinP

Apr 6, 2015
Belgium
I've been a very happy Model S driver for the last 9 months or so, with 20k miles, but one thing I still had not figured out was how to open the charge port correctly.:eek:
Daily at home, but also at SuC I had abandoned the idea of clicking on the button while aiming at the port: it would only open after several attempts, taking far too long. SC checked a few times, all was ok for them. UMC replaced once, for another problem, looked better, but not really.:(
Not sure if it is something new from my last SC visit, or if it is just plain stupid me :confused:, but now I finally got it:aiming at the small rear window of the back door !!! Opens it in a second every time.

(I was told before to aim at the rear window of the trunk, but that was not working either.)

So, most probably you knew about this, but if, like me, you struggled with this one...:)

On my car ( a 2 month old 90D ) the charge port is reluctant to open either by the cable button or the screen button. It takes about 20 presses of the screen button before it will open. You can hear a little click each time the screen button is pressed but the flap does not release. Is there any user solution? My nearest Tesla service is 150 miles away.

On my car ( a 2 month old 90D ) the charge port is reluctant to open either by the cable button or the screen button. It takes about 20 presses of the screen button before it will open. You can hear a little click each time the screen button is pressed but the flap does not release. Is there any user solution? My nearest Tesla service is 150 miles away.

Happened earlier. Was fixed at SC. But what you can try is to cleanup the magnet and the iron bit on the port, helps also. Happens even more if wet.