Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening charging port when vehicle is locked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my Model S, I can click the button on the mobile connector and it will pop open the charging door even when vehicle is locked. That doesn't work on my Model X: it has to be unlocked first. Is that by design, a defect in my car or is there a setting I'm missing?

Are you sure that worked before? You aren't supposed to be able to remove the handle from a locked car. So, did you have your fob on you? Was it nearby? The X uses a different radio for the fob (BT).

Oh wait, this is charging, not removing... lol... Hm, I would assume same thing, you want the car unlocked.

Does not seem right. I can open the charge port without unlocking the car. X100D, software 2018.10.4. I'm not aware of any setting for this.
Maybe it's been assumed you can put it in but not take it out. Totally serious here.. :D I know you need it unlocked to remove the handle.

I can check on mine, also, but I bet that does work. Like you can charge someone else's car, but you then can't remove the handle. I've seen a thread about unlocking a port remotely to remove a handle...

Oops, I misunderstood. When I saw "mobile" I immediately thought "mobile phone" and did not read the rest very well. Anyway, I meant that I can open/close the charge port using the app on my phone without unlocking the car. Would be useful if you're away from your car and an acquaintance wants to charge or stop charging your car.

With the car locked, you're not supposed to be able to open or close the charge port just with the button on the charging connector. That would allow just anybody to do that.

When the car is locked (Model S), you can open the charge port using the button on the charging connector and charge. But you can't remove the charging connector without unlocking the car.

Right. I am just talking about unlocking the charge port to start charging, when the vehicle itself is locked:

2017 Model X does not unlock the charge port.
2015 Model S does.

This perplexed me for a while, but here’s what works - when the car is locked, press and hold the key fob’s rear trunk section - this will open a closed charging port door as well as allow you to change the port to white and allow you to remove the plug.

It is a newer feature. On the supercharger thread where someone complains about people parking their tesla at busy parking lot and not charging, someone suggest plugging the charger in for them to get them to pay the idle fee. But that's not possible with the newer Tesla as their ports are locked.

• Helpful
Reactions: caps04
Today I was parked in a spot with one free hpwc charger at a local hotel. After charging, I noticed an older model s that was parked next to me and I figured I would try to see if his port would open by simply pushing the button on the hpwc handle. Guess what, it worked and I plugged it in for him/her. Not sure if his/her car was unlocked but the door handles were not out.

I have that problem at work. A coworker plugs in at work and leaves before me. When they press the button on their mobile connector my charge port opens even though I am not there and my s is locked. How do I prevent this. Another coworkers 3 parked nearby does not do this.

I have that problem at work. A coworker plugs in at work and leaves before me. When they press the button on their mobile connector my charge port opens even though I am not there and my s is locked. How do I prevent this. Another coworkers 3 parked nearby does not do this.

I don't think it is possible. The charge port is always unlocked and opens on receipt of any handle press nearby. You can also open it with a gentle local press on the port cover. It is only locked when it is in use, i.e. handle plugged in. Is this causing a problem for you?

Yes I dont like having my charge port left open between when he leaves and I do. It could accidentally be damaged by someone walking by. Also I work for what may be considered a competitor and not everyone there loves my tesla like I do, an open port could invite trouble.

No worries. I jumped on the thread when doing a search trying to better understand the charge port door behavior. I saw the post about an older model S behaving like mine and thats why I responded. Sounds like it's normal operation for that vintage. Would be interested in a newer charge port retrofit but my understanding is Tesla has said no to those who have asked.

On my Model S, I can click the button on the mobile connector and it will pop open the charging door even when vehicle is locked. That doesn't work on my Model X: it has to be unlocked first. Is that by design, a defect in my car or is there a setting I'm missing?

I have X100D and I have to unlock the car to open charge port to either charge or disconnect charge
My husband has S100D and his charge port can be open by the charge connector when car is locked but if the car is connected to charge connector then you would have to unlock car to disconnect