Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening model X frozen doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In cold climate - especially after snowfall and definitely after rain followed by freezing temperatures - I frequently have to "fight" to open my SUV's door in the morning. Not fun and I am sure not great for the car but that's life. New model X does not appear to have anything on doors to grab onto - just buttons - how would one deal with door frozen situation - are door actuators powerful enough? Any real world experience?

2016 MX owner from Finland here.

The door actuators are super strong. Doors open sometimes with a loud bang as shattered ice flies around. This includes both front doors and the rear falcon doors. They have never failed to open.

However! As front door windows are frameless, the window needs to open slightly when door is opened and closed. Sometimes the window is frozen and can't open. Door will still open because window simply bends inwards until it is released. But it's not possible to close the door afterwards.

Only solution is to close it from outside so that you bend the window inwards by hand, then close the door.

If both front door windows are frozen, your only chance is to enter the car from rear doors... :)

Luckily this happens quite rarely, and is easily fixed by using the app to heat the interior.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
2016 MX owner from Finland here.

The door actuators are super strong. Doors open sometimes with a loud bang as shattered ice flies around. This includes both front doors and the rear falcon doors. They have never failed to open.

However! As front door windows are frameless, the window needs to open slightly when door is opened and closed. Sometimes the window is frozen and can't open. Door will still open because window simply bends inwards until it is released. But it's not possible to close the door afterwards.

Only solution is to close it from outside so that you bend the window inwards by hand, then close the door.

If both front door windows are frozen, your only chance is to enter the car from rear doors... :)

Luckily this happens quite rarely, and is easily fixed by using the app to heat the interior.
Technically, the door might be able to close with the window outside of the trim. It's certainly not supposed to, but I was driving in wind so heavy one day that the window would roll up outside of the trim when I opened and closed it. It wasn't super cold when I had this happen, they ended up that way because I started the drive with the windows down. I had to pull over and try multpile things to get both front windows to close inside of the trim because I didn't want to deal with the wind noise on the highway.