Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening the charger port with button on the charge handle no longer works!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
I've noticed since upgrading to 2020.36.11 the charger port will not open (most of the time) when pressing the button on the wall charger or Tesla remote charger handle.

Once the charger handle is in place and locked in position it will unlock the using the button on the charger handle(s). It used to work so well and that was one reason I bought the Tesla wall connector.

Before anyone asks, the car is awake with the driver door open when I try to open the charge port...

Anyone else had problems opening the charger port using the button(s)? Strange it can unlock the charger handle 100% of the time using the button...

Strange it can unlock the charger handle 100% of the time using the button...

Two different functions - open works via RF signal, unlock works by electromechanical connection.

If you press the charge port, does it open? Have you tried at a supercharger since?

I too have found 2020.36.x to be a little slow to respond sometimes, but probably not non functional even if I do give up and press the charge port latch instead. I often had to revert back to the old, 'press rear door handle' trick but if your car is awake as you say, it shouldn't make any difference.

Last edited:
Mine's working fine since 36.11. I don't have a TWC, but the tethered lead I use has got the "Tesla button". Only constraint is that the car has to be fully awake for the button to work. If the car has gone to sleep, then waking it up by touching the rear door handle, without opening the door, wakes it up so that the button then works. I usually plug in when I get home, before the car has had a chance to go to sleep, and the button seems to work fine then.

Mine's working fine since 36.11. I don't have a TWC, but the tethered lead I use has got the "Tesla button". Only constraint is that the car has to be fully awake for the button to work. If the car has gone to sleep, then waking it up by touching the rear door handle, without opening the door, wakes it up so that the button then works. I usually plug in when I get home, before the car has had a chance to go to sleep, and the button seems to work fine then.

Hmmm - weird charger door hijinks 2020.36.11

My "root" screen button is not functional. If I open the charge app, I can use that open button
My granny charger will open the port only after I have opened the rear door (touching does nada)
No problem at SCs
The charge door will open and close with a manual poke

Granny Charger = UMC

Can anyone explain how much of a 'touch' is required to wake the car?

I get two results;

- Nothing. The car doesn't wake.
- The door opens. The car has woken up but I have to properly open and then close the door.

Where is the middle ground? How do you wake the car without the door opening?

Luke

Luke

Use the Force, Luke. Use the Force. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

The app will wake it up, too.

Yoda_SWSB.png

Granny Charger = UMC

Can anyone explain how much of a 'touch' is required to wake the car?

I get two results;

- Nothing. The car doesn't wake.
- The door opens. The car has woken up but I have to properly open and then close the door.

Luke

I've found that it's possible to push in a rear door handle enough to get the car to unlock and wake up, without actually opening the door. Sometimes the door will pop open when doing this, but most of the time it stays shut and the door latch stays engaged, or re-engages, before the door actually pops open.

Opening the boot or frunk doesn't seem to wake the car up enough for the button on the connector to work. What would be useful would be if the charge port opening worked like the frunk or boot, such that it always responded to the button press, irrespective of whether the car is awake fully or not.

Reactions: M3noob
The port opens fine at the super charger! I don't even have to take the handle out of the super charger! So why doesn't it not work with my home chargers?? I've got a service visit on Friday so I'll ask the ranger about it...

Yeah, I've just power cycled the wall connector and it didn't help although I noticed that holding the handle just above the charge port and pressing the button it did open! It's like there isn't enough power for the RF to open the charge port whereas the super charger has loads of RF power.

Please do tell where you got the magic button from.

Ta

Please do tell where you got the magic button from.

Ta

Sure, you can either buy Type 2 to Type 2 leads that have the button fitted to the car connector, like this 3 phase one: Charging cable with Tesla command button - evChargeking

or you can buy a replacement tethered lead with the connector and button, like this: Unique Tesla charging cables - evChargeking

or you can buy just the connector, with the button (needs a hydraulic cable crimp tool to fit) : Tesla connector kit 32A crimped - evChargeking

or you can get really DIY and retrofit an existing connector with the button, like this: Tesla retrofit button kit - evChargeking

I've used the cheaper retrofit kit, easy enough to install, but it was a bit fiddly getting the button to fit neatly and seal well to the connector.

Sure, you can either buy Type 2 to Type 2 leads that have the button fitted to the car connector, like this 3 phase one: Charging cable with Tesla command button - evChargeking

or you can buy a replacement tethered lead with the connector and button, like this: Unique Tesla charging cables - evChargeking

or you can buy just the connector, with the button (needs a hydraulic cable crimp tool to fit) : Tesla connector kit 32A crimped - evChargeking

or you can get really DIY and retrofit an existing connector with the button, like this: Tesla retrofit button kit - evChargeking

I've used the cheaper retrofit kit, easy enough to install, but it was a bit fiddly getting the button to fit neatly and seal well to the connector.
I'm planning to do the retrofit. Is it usual for the charger to provide a 3.3V supply to the plug end? How would I know? I guess it's best to just order the optional battery and be done with it.

I'm planning to do the retrofit. Is it usual for the charger to provide a 3.3V supply to the plug end? How would I know? I guess it's best to just order the optional battery and be done with it.

I don't think so. CP can vary between +12V and -12V, depending on the state of the vehicle, but it's a signalling voltage, I think you'd run in to trouble, trying to draw current from it?

Unfortunately not, with the exception of the Tesla wall connector, I think. The kit from EV ChargeKing includes a small lithium coin cell to power the transmitter. They reckon that should last several years. Looking at their kit, I think it should be possible to change the cell, the assembly would just need to be sealed with a bit of liquid electrical tape afterwards (this stuff, very handy to have around at times: Liquid Electrical Tape )

I am on 20.20.36.10. I have also noticed an increasing amount of time that the button on the handle of the UMC does not open the charge port. Definitely worse when the car has gone to sleep. If I plug it in as soon as get home, (when the car is fully awake), it opens right up.

Just now, (hence the search for this post), even after the car woke up, and the screen was lit up, the button still did not open. Had to get out my phone, and use the app to open the charge port. I forgot that I could push in on the cover. I will do that next time.

No clue to what has changed, but it's for sure worse than a few releases back.