Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening the doors in the Model S if power fails

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After looking at the latest skateboard deck they had on our showroom floor, and reviewing the test drive cars, can we even say the 12V system is separate from the main battery pack? I saw no evidence of a "separate" 12v battery anywhere... not that doesn't exist. Nor did I ask about it, but it just seemed that the whole car was so thoroughly built around a clean simple system - the main batt pack. ???

So perhaps it's just a matter of plugging the car in to get live juice?

Assuming you have the option of doing that, say, after two nights of camping in the mountains or whatever...

I don't care how reliable the system is. There should always be a backup solution.

After looking at the latest skateboard deck they had on our showroom floor, and reviewing the test drive cars, can we even say the 12V system is separate from the main battery pack? I saw no evidence of a "separate" 12v battery anywhere... not that doesn't exist. Nor did I ask about it, but it just seemed that the whole car was so thoroughly built around a clean simple system - the main batt pack. ???
The skateboard also didn't contain the chargers... they are under the second-row seats. I bet the 12V system is somewhere similar, higher up in the body.

So perhaps it's just a matter of plugging the car in to get live juice?

Yep. Unless your adapters are locked in the frunk.

This would have to be a catastrophic condition... like "What if we hit an iceberg that rips through more than 3 or 4 watertight compartments?"
That would be very, very unlikely to happen, wouldn't it? <snicker>

I would very much like to hear from TM's engineering gurus on this scenario.

@ brianman, I added Doug's flickr link. The photos are page 151 of the Nissan Leaf thread. Can you give me a primer on how to link posts within this forum to one's own post. I got an Apple but that doesn't mean I am smart.
Good enough. But since you asked... :)

Here's what I do.

Find the post you're interested in and click "Reply with Quote". Then use Ctrl-C (copy) to copy the contents of the post to the clipboard. Then go to the post you actually want to reply to, click reply, and then Ctrl-V for paste. Then you can edit from there.

Hope this helps.

Edit: You can also get creative one you recognize the format. For example...
God said:
Let there be light
... that the >> button shows up only if you provide a post number in your quote tag.

Mm. At this point we'll need to wait and see for ourselves. Despite a very explicit conversation regarding what happens if the electrical system fails ("you'd have to have service come before you could get into the car") it seems it may not be true. We all make mistakes and that's how some crazy rumors get started (e.g. 200 founders cars bumping the rest of us) ... While I enjoy sharing what I learn, I don't want to be responsible for spreading damaging information ... If that's what I've done, I apologize to everyone including Tesla and will think more before I post :smile:

cinergy, no need to apologize. Statements from Tesla reps have been contradictory in the past, and I don't let them trouble me anymore. Your report getting blown out of proportion is just normal in current circumstances.

The question "but what if the battery fails" is probably the most often faced by EV car owners. The 12V aux batteries in EVs have a long history of causing trouble. The Roadster deals OK with that, as some vital electric systems are supported by both the ESS and the aux battery, and the doors have a mechanical lock as a fallback. Tesla should state what made them omit the mechanical fallback in the Model S. There should be an alternative solution to access the car and make it drive/charge again.

The 12V aux batteries in EVs have a long history of causing trouble.

+50 on this one. About 75% of the problems reported in the Yahoo Prius groups have been cured by replacing the 12V battery. It's hard for me to imagine that Tesla didn't put an alternative in the Model S similar to what they did in the Roadster.

In the roadster, the little 12V battery is there primarily to provide power to emergency systems (brake lights, hazard warning lights, etc) in the event of a failure of the primary ESS. It will also be used for the alarm and door unlock, but car will fall-back to 12V from primary ESS should the little 12V fail to provide enough power.

The EV-1 had a button under the dash that would cause the DC-DC converter to start up even if the car wasn't in the "run" position. So, if your 12V went flat, you could open the car with the key, push that button, and that would provide 12V power to boot the computer, etc.

Tesla could, conceivably, have a similar switch on the outside of the car (under the bumper was mentioned above).

They've already thought about how to get into the car if the battery in the key fob dies, so hopefully they've thought about the 12V just as thoroughly.

True. A backup physical key which allows you access to the frunk for example would be handy. From there you could then open the door with a physical cable or something.
Yes, my Corvette had a physical key to let you open the trunk. You could then crawl in and hit the manual release on the door. Model S will need something like this.

There's gotta be some mechanism to get in if there's a failure of the 12V system--it doesn't necessarily need to be a complete battery failure causing the problem, but it's magical thinking to believe that this won't happen once in a while. Unless there's some external access to the 12V one would be reduced to using a jimmy bar just to get into the car.
Jimmy bar won't work as the lock/unlock mechanism is in the car, not the door. My Corvette and Roadster are like this. Great theft deterrent but sucks if you lock your keys in the car.

Jimmy bar won't work as the lock/unlock mechanism is in the car, not the door. My Corvette and Roadster are like this. Great theft deterrent but sucks if you lock your keys in the car.
Given Tesla has said their sensors should be sensitive enough to tell which of two keys are in the driver's seat, I'd think Tesla could detect if the key was in the car and not let you lock it if that was the case. That'd be a nice feature.

I am having trouble locating it but I believe Outsider posted pictures of the manual for the Model S shown on the display. It did show the ability to open the doors via a sensor in the wheel well on the passenger side by placing the key there. Maybe someone else can locate the post.

Given Tesla has said their sensors should be sensitive enough to tell which of two keys are in the driver's seat, I'd think Tesla could detect if the key was in the car and not let you lock it if that was the case. That'd be a nice feature.
Yeah, I was thinking about other cars. My Corvette would honk the horn if you shut the door and the key fob was still in the car so the tech is there.