Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening trunk hight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I love the fact that I can restrict the Model Y's trunk to open only a certain height, so it won't hit the overhang while parked in my driveway... it's really annoying that now, no matter where I am, the trunk always opens a limited height, even when (most of the time) I'd like it to open fully!

You'd think that by 2022, Tesla would have implemented GPS to this feature, so that my trunk would know to only open partially, when I'm at home, and open fully when I'm miles away from the overhang it's restriction is designed to avoid!

As the poster below suggests, saving and displaying a list of locations where the trunk height is restricted, and allowing user to delete these settings on a location-by-location basis, would be amazing!

It can all be done via software.... amazed it hasn't been implemented in all these years!

Here's a post from 2015, that says it better then I can!

"Trunk opening hight GPS located

opening the trunk at a specific place (like the garage at home with limited ceiling space) combined with the GPS mark would make it possible to define different hights of the trunk to be opened at different places.
Stored and accessible in a sub menu for deleting stored places or editing them.
(I sometimes bang my head on the trunk cause I had to set it to a „mimimalisic“ opening height due to my garage… if it would open only there this height and elsewhere to full height… would love that :) )"

I don't know, Yelobird, I think GPS tagged trunk height is a good thing. Kind of like Sentry, autolocking, and suspension height features. And having an overlay on the map or even just an editable list would be great.

Tesla, and other car manufacturers (Chevy, on the new Corvette) already uses GPS to implement raising the height of the cars suspension to avoid speed bumps or other obstacles at certain locations, Tesla allows you to indicate you don't want Sentry mode on when at home... this isn't brain surgery, and yeah, it's also not "real world problems", but I didn't realize that this site is reserved for real world problems, I thought this is where we discuss our cars and SUV's...

It's not a major deal, but it is a hassle... I can either hope nobody opens my trunk while the car is parked in my driveway, and it gets damaged, or I can have to physically raise the trunk every time I'm away from home, to take advantage of this feature!

By the way, Yelobird... Tesla implementing this improvement wouldn't require you to use it, anymore then you're required to set the trunk height now... if you don't have an issue with the trunk hitting low ceilings or objects, not sure how adding GPS to a feature you don't use now would make it more complicated for you...

Reactions: Jim R and LoudMusic
The hatch will always stop at the preset height. You can push the hatch up, all of the way open with your hand when needed. The next time you open the hatch it will return to the preset height, not fully open.
I do realize I can "push it open all the way with my hand"...

my point is, we could also manually open the trunk if we wanted to, but Tesla realized that people would prefer that the trunk "open and close" with the push of a button. I would prefer that, even AFTER I've set it to not open fully when I'm at home, it would still open fully, when I'm 20 miles away from the obstacle I'm trying to avoid by setting a limit on how high the trunk opens.

As others have pointed out, Tesla is supposed to be smarter than your average car!

This really isn't a big ask, and as I mentioned previously, people have requested this since 2016!

Reactions: LoudMusic
To the OP - Are you too busy to just lift it up a little when you're not home?
Nope.

Not at all... but I have read numerous complaints from older Model 3 owners, who felt that on a car in the price range of a Model 3, they shouldn't have to manually open their trunk, when, in the earlier Model 3's, the trunks were all manual.

Apparently, Tesla came to the same conclusion... as they've now added automatic trunk operations to the Model 3.

I don't think it was a matter of the older generation Model 3 owners not having the strength or time to manually open their trunk, I think it was a simple matter that, for the price range the Model 3 is in, having a simple button to open and close your trunk is/was an expected feature.

I have the *time* to manually move my seat and steering column back, when entering or exiting my car, but obviously, Tesla (and I) felt that automating it would make the car more convenient. Tesla apparently spends time and money to make our cars more convenient or add features... not sure why it's so hard to imagine that they could add this simple feature.

Reactions: Jim R and LoudMusic
I do realize I can "push it open all the way with my hand"...

my point is, we could also manually open the trunk if we wanted to, but Tesla realized that people would prefer that the trunk "open and close" with the push of a button. I would prefer that, even AFTER I've set it to not open fully when I'm at home, it would still open fully, when I'm 20 miles away from the obstacle I'm trying to avoid by setting a limit on how high the trunk opens.

As others have pointed out, Tesla is supposed to be smarter than your average car!

This really isn't a big ask, and as I mentioned previously, people have requested this since 2016!
Perhaps someone else reading this thread does not know that you can push the hatch all the way up, open with a hand and not damage the mechanism or permanently change the preset height setting.

If the Tesla Model Y is so smart then why do I have to tap the open hood button twice to get it to open and only tap the rear trunk/hatch button once? I would like the option of having same confirmation protocol (double tap) for the trunk/hatch open button. If the Tesla software had the option to require a double tap on the truck/hatch open button I would customize the screen on my Tesla app to display the trunk/hatch open button on the main screen instead of being buried under Controls. It is too easy to open the trunk/hatch with a single tap when doing so will cause the hatch to impact whatever is above it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volleyballmom
I think this would be a good addition, but there also could be some issue with opening in different places. You could be in the grocery store parking garage, or under a tree where it smacks into something. It may be if you were to attach GPS to the trunk it may require you to manually open it the first time you open it in new places.
It may be a small thing, but as Elon says the car should just do the right thing...there are several places where opening it to its full height is extremely beneficial. Yes you can lift the trunk to full height, but you can also drive by yourself, you can park by yourself, you can get in your car and turn the heat on by yourself. Shoot you can look at a map for your own directions. Tesla is loved because of all of the things you could do yourself that the car does instead.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I think this would be a good addition, but there also could be some issue with opening in different places. You could be in the grocery store parking garage, or under a tree where it smacks into something. It may be if you were to attach GPS to the trunk it may require you to manually open it the first time you open it in new places.
It may be a small thing, but as Elon says the car should just do the right thing...there are several places where opening it to its full height is extremely beneficial. Yes you can lift the trunk to full height, but you can also drive by yourself, you can park by yourself, you can get in your car and turn the heat on by yourself. Shoot you can look at a map for your own directions. Tesla is loved because of all of the things you could do yourself that the car does instead.

I was thinking of the same problem. But in my own garage I had to hold it from smacking into the garage door the first time, then hold the button to set it. People might forget to check the height in new places and then damage the lift gate, sure, but even with mine set lower I still always look at where it's swinging to and make sure there's clearance.

Maybe the default height could be lower, and you have to push it higher and set the lift height for that GPS location?

The real solution would be a sensor like the Model X falcon doors have. And while they're adding that they could also add a foot-sweep activated sensor.

Reactions: samori01
An even easier solution is to not park where there is an overhang. I don't know of any cars that use GPS to determine what height is safe to open the hatch to. It's a lot safer to just set one height and let people be smart enough to either duck or manually raise it when necessary.

Reactions: Yelobird
An even easier solution is to not park where there is an overhang. I don't know of any cars that use GPS to determine what height is safe to open the hatch to. It's a lot safer to just set one height and let people be smart enough to either duck or manually raise it when necessary.
I back my car into our driveway, so that the power cord will reach. I cannot pull it in forward, because my charger, which is in the garage, won't reach.

Once backed in... there is a stucco overhang which, if I were to open my trunk fully, the truck would smack into it and it would probably damage the paint.

Your situation doesn't match everyone elses situation! I can spend money to extend the power cord, but honestly, I don't feel like spending the money just so I can park a few feet father from my garage door. I can *hope* nobody accidentally opens the trunk while under the overhead, but I again don't want to hope... accidents happen.

As for "not knowing any cars that use GPS to determine what height is safe"... the new Chevy Corvette uses GPS so that when a driver raises up their car, to avoid speed bumps, or to manage a steep driveway... the car will automatically raise the next time the car is in that same location. Chevy doesn't make their customer constantly raise and lower their car every time the approach that same location.

Why did Tesla add the feature to restrict how high your trunk can open? According to Kairide... everyone should simply park somewhere else! Garage ceiling in too low to open your trunk? Hey.. park outside of your garage!

20220214_104029.jpg

Again, isn't that some of the draw to Tesla, they do a lot of things that no other car does. They have done that so well, that the entire market is following Tesla. This is definitely a "first-world problem" but so is "why can't the car drive me where I want to go".