Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening trunk hight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I back my car into our driveway, so that the power cord will reach. I cannot pull it in forward, because my charger, which is in the garage, won't reach.

Once backed in... there is a stucco overhang which, if I were to open my trunk fully, the truck would smack into it and it would probably damage the paint.

Your situation doesn't match everyone elses situation! I can spend money to extend the power cord, but honestly, I don't feel like spending the money just so I can park a few feet father from my garage door. I can *hope* nobody accidentally opens the trunk while under the overhead, but I again don't want to hope... accidents happen.

As for "not knowing any cars that use GPS to determine what height is safe"... the new Chevy Corvette uses GPS so that when a driver raises up their car, to avoid speed bumps, or to manage a steep driveway... the car will automatically raise the next time the car is in that same location. Chevy doesn't make their customer constantly raise and lower their car every time the approach that same location.

Why did Tesla add the feature to restrict how high your trunk can open? According to Kairide... everyone should simply park somewhere else! Garage ceiling in too low to open your trunk? Hey.. park outside of your garage!
You seem to be complaining because you're deciding to park directly under the stucco overhang of your garage. You could either park inside your garage, or a few feet farther away. You're deciding to do neither and park in a place that doesn't allow full clearance for your rear hatch to open.
You don't want to spend the money on a longer cord, which would be cheaper than repairing the rear hatch and your stucco overhang.

Your examples of cars using GPS are for adjusting the ride height, not the height the rear hatch opens. My Model S has adjustable suspension based on GPS, but it does not adjust the rear hatch based on coordinates. Also the Y has coil suspension, you can't just raise and lower a coil suspension via the touch of a button.

Tesla and other car manufacturers make built in memory for their rear hatches so people don't bash them in to low overhangs. How would the car know that the GPS location you're at has enough clearance for the hatch to open completely? Yes, the solution would be sensors, not GPS.

Overhangs are hard to avoid in parking garages.
Yes, that's why you set the hatch at a level where it won't hit the overhang. You just need to decide what's more important, not hitting the overhang where you park daily or having to manually push the hatch open further when necessary.

Tesla and other car manufacturers make built in memory for their rear hatches so people don't bash them in to low overhangs. How would the car know that the GPS location you're at has enough clearance for the hatch to open completely? Yes, the solution would be sensors, not GPS.
Yes... maybe in one of the future updates, Tesla will add sensors! That is brilliant!

I mean... Tesla already uses GPS to adjust the suspension on Model S, based on location, and you can already set charge times based on location, so how could Tesla possibly use GPS AGAIN... to control the trunk hatch!

Probably can't be done!

You're an amazing problem solver... do you work in the corporate world???
Yes, that's why you set the hatch at a level where it won't hit the overhang. You just need to decide what's more important, not hitting the overhang where you park daily or having to manually push the hatch open further when necessary.

Makes sense! Why go to the trouble of a software update, which I guess Tesla never does, simply to improve the user experience???

Thanks for all of your help! I'm new here, so having experienced Tesla owners explain all of this complicated stuff to me is really beneficial.

Reactions: Wingsy
Yes... maybe in one of the future updates, Tesla will add sensors! That is brilliant!

I mean... Tesla already uses GPS to adjust the suspension on Model S, based on location, and you can already set charge times based on location, so how could Tesla possibly use GPS AGAIN... to control the trunk hatch!

Probably can't be done!

You're an amazing problem solver... do you work in the corporate world???

Makes sense! Why go to the trouble of a software update, which I guess Tesla never does, simply to improve the user experience???

Thanks for all of your help! I'm new here, so having experienced Tesla owners explain all of this complicated stuff to me is really beneficial.
Please do explain how GPS coordinates would be beneficial with setting the opening height of your hatch. The GPS setting for suspension in a Model S is made for specific instances where you know you'll consistently need the extra height, i.e. a steep driveway at home. It's a manual process to get to the location, raise the height in the center screen and save it for future use. It's not like the S constantly raises and lowers on it's own knowing how much clearance is needed as you drive using GPS.

If this same principle were set for the Y, you could set your hatch to open half way at home. But if you go anywhere else. it'll open to the full height. You'd probably be the first to complain when you smash your hatch in to the low ceiling in the parking garage; "Well geez guys, it has GPS for the hatch height, how did the GPS not know the height of the garage I parked in?"

The Y is the "budget" SUV for Tesla, even though it's not really at a budget price anymore. There are no sensors or GPS settings for the rear hatches on the S or X. So getting them on the Y is not going to happen. At a certain point humans need to take responsibility for their actions. If you open your door too wide and hit the car next to you. Will you complain that Tesla doesn't have GPS installed to prevent the door from opening too wide?

Sometimes the user needs to put in some effort to improve the experience themselves. For you, it's easy; park in your garage or a few feet farther ahead and get a longer cable. You're deciding to park under an overhang and creating your own issue.

Reactions: Yelobird
Please do explain how GPS coordinates would be beneficial with setting the opening height of your hatch. The GPS setting for suspension in a Model S is made for specific instances where you know you'll consistently need the extra height, i.e. a steep driveway at home. It's a manual process to get to the location, raise the height in the center screen and save it for future use. It's not like the S constantly raises and lowers on it's own knowing how much clearance is needed as you drive using GPS.

If this same principle were set for the Y, you could set your hatch to open half way at home. But if you go anywhere else. it'll open to the full height. You'd probably be the first to complain when you smash your hatch in to the low ceiling in the parking garage; "Well geez guys, it has GPS for the hatch height, how did the GPS not know the height of the garage I parked in?"

The Y is the "budget" SUV for Tesla, even though it's not really at a budget price anymore. There are no sensors or GPS settings for the rear hatches on the S or X. So getting them on the Y is not going to happen. At a certain point humans need to take responsibility for their actions. If you open your door too wide and hit the car next to you. Will you complain that Tesla doesn't have GPS installed to prevent the door from opening too wide?

Sometimes the user needs to put in some effort to improve the experience themselves. For you, it's easy; park in your garage or a few feet farther ahead and get a longer cable. You're deciding to park under an overhang and creating your own issue.
Perhaps your response is due to the annoyance the OP stated that the height of the trunk remains the same elsewhere. Perhaps annoyance is a strong word as no one else has that capability either, making it different than say someone who is annoyed Tesla's don't have 360 view parking, or someone who is annoyed Carplay or Android play isn't available like in many other cars. That being said, someone stating that they wish a new feature, that is totally within the realm of possibility for Tesla, was implemented doesn't, IMO, seem like something bad or suitable for chastising. I mean GPS enabled hatch height would be pretty cool, no?

While I love the fact that I can restrict the Model Y's trunk to open only a certain height, so it won't hit the overhang while parked in my driveway... it's really annoying that now, no matter where I am, the trunk always opens a limited height, even when (most of the time) I'd like it to open fully!

You'd think that by 2022, Tesla would have implemented GPS to this feature, so that my trunk would know to only open partially, when I'm at home, and open fully when I'm miles away from the overhang it's restriction is designed to avoid!

As the poster below suggests, saving and displaying a list of locations where the trunk height is restricted, and allowing user to delete these settings on a location-by-location basis, would be amazing!

It can all be done via software.... amazed it hasn't been implemented in all these years!

Here's a post from 2015, that says it better then I can!

"Trunk opening hight GPS located

opening the trunk at a specific place (like the garage at home with limited ceiling space) combined with the GPS mark would make it possible to define different hights of the trunk to be opened at different places.
Stored and accessible in a sub menu for deleting stored places or editing them.
(I sometimes bang my head on the trunk cause I had to set it to a „mimimalisic“ opening height due to my garage… if it would open only there this height and elsewhere to full height… would love that :) )"
I totally AGREE with you and have had the same problem with my Model S, and now with my Model Y. A simple link to a GPS location, like we have with the Tesla Homelink garage door opener would be great, and save many head impacts.

I will say, after bumping my head yesterday (in my garage albeit), and using GPS location side mirror fold at Sonic Drive-In (the Route 44 Cherry Limeaid is my vice), GPS enabled trunk height is definitely something they could do.

An even easier solution is to not park where there is an overhang. I don't know of any cars that use GPS to determine what height is safe to open the hatch to. It's a lot safer to just set one height and let people be smart enough to either duck or manually raise it when necessary.
Tesla already can have your house IDd. Whether it's through Homelink or you saved the location. I wouldn't think it's that hard to have an extra setting when those conditions are met (being at home). That said, it's low on my priority list of things I'd want.

I believe this is implemented on the Model X but done by a sensor on the roof. I also think it's somewhat using GPS. When I pull the car out of the garage in the driveway, the FWD and the liftgate open as if they are inside the garage but if I go anywhere else, they open fully. If that's the case, the code is already in the interface and could be easily added to the MY.

I believe this is implemented on the Model X but done by a sensor on the roof. I also think it's somewhat using GPS. When I pull the car out of the garage in the driveway, the FWD and the liftgate open as if they are inside the garage but if I go anywhere else, they open fully. If that's the case, the code is already in the interface and could be easily added to the MY.
I believe the Model X has a sensor which restricts open the hatch... I may be wrong, but...

If that's the case, while it would be great in the future if Tesla would add a sensor to the hatches of Model 3s and Model Y's, that would add to the cost, which I could completely understand they may not want to do.

A software update, utilizing GPS and allowing multiple hatch settings matched to a specific location, is totally doable, without having to add any hardware.

I believe the Model X has a sensor which restricts open the hatch... I may be wrong, but...

If that's the case, while it would be great in the future if Tesla would add a sensor to the hatches of Model 3s and Model Y's, that would add to the cost, which I could completely understand they may not want to do.

A software update, utilizing GPS and allowing multiple hatch settings matched to a specific location, is totally doable, without having to add any hardware.
I agree with your wants 100%.

I'm sure the hatch has sensors to restrict opening in low ceiling areas, but my problem is setting the falcon doors to open to a set height while inside my garage. In my case I can't have them open fully or they will hit the garage door opener, but the door sensors detect being inside the garage and only open the doors to about 60%. Fine, except for the dings on my head. I need them to open around 80% which gets them out of my way while not hitting the opener. The owners manual states that if you press and hold the open button on the touchscreen the doors will open farther and when you release the button it will ask if you want to save that position for the current location. That's what I want, only it doesn't work. I get no invitation to save the position.